Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 11:43 PM

10 posts, read 16,765 times

Advertisements

Hello. I will be working in SF (Presidio) and husband will be working in Fremont. We are planning on moving/renting in San Mateo as a nice place to live as well as a fairly equal distant comute for both of us. Suggestions on neighborhoods close to parks, shops, schools?? Right now we want something that is safe and conveinent to "stuff" as well as our comutes. Ultimately, we will have kids and want to be near good schools. Thank you for your advice!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 02:45 PM

159 posts, read 558,462 times
Plenty of people, including myself, have recently discussed San Mateo & neighborhoods recently in other threads.

SM is basically a good choice, though I don't envy a work commute to the Presidio. You're very much correct that potential for 'quality of life' does vary in SM depending on neighborhood, just like it does in most other Bay Area communities.

Here's a suggestion you can't go wrong with, assuming you can afford it:

Archstone San Mateo Apartments in the Bay Area | Archstone Apartments

After a year there, you'll be familiar enough with SM & some other Bay Area communities to look for a house in a similarly safe & decent community.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:15 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,696,422 times
I wouldn't worry about schools until you actually have the first kid - you have plenty of time to explore the area before settling down into one permanent home.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:13 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
I currently live in San Mateo so I may be able to help. What's your budget and requirements?
The only thing about Archstone is that is right next to the 101.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:19 PM

We would be looking for 2bd/1ba. More is ok but not required. We would like to keep the rent @$2500 or less if possible.

We currently live in the East Bay so the bay area is not new to us by any means. That being said we rarely find ourselves west of the bay currently.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:53 PM

I recommend Belmont in and around Carlmont Village (Ralston and Alameda de las Pulgas). You're near the 92 and 280 for easy commutes to your respective jobs. Areas of San Mateo west of El Camino and as close to Alameda de las Pulgas will also work as well (don't look at the Hillsdale Garden apartment complex, though).

Old 10-16-2011, 09:11 PM

Thank you for the recommendation on the area to look and the complex to avoid. Any positive experiences with specific complexes in the area you mentioned that you might be able to recommend taking a look at?

Old 10-17-2011, 11:00 AM

There are many small complexes and the good ones are snatched up quickly. Best to peruse craigslist and ping me if you have any questions.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:56 AM

I have seen the following on craigslist that looked potentially interesting
Skyline Terrace (Burlingame)
Bay Terrace
CitySouth
Bridgepointe
Scotchollow

Old 10-17-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ailuj9 View Post
I have seen the following on craigslist that looked potentially interesting
Skyline Terrace (Burlingame)
Bay Terrace
CitySouth
Bay Terrace and City South are in the same neighborhood -- racially-mixed, blue-collar -- near a shopping center with a Chinese market.
The area is ok, maybe a bit of white noise from the nearby 101 freeway and main drag, Hillsdale Blvd. City South had a makeover within the last year and is easily the most expensive property in the neighborhood. I've heard nothing good nor bad about Bay Terrace.

Quote:
Bridgepointe
Scotchollow
Scotch Hollow is a sprawling complex but when I was apt hunting, I wasn't impressed with the condition of its apartment interiors. It does allow pets and there's Laurie Meadows park right next door. The area is ok for being on the east side of El Camino (perhaps because it is a cul-de-sac) but you're not far from the train tracks.

Have you checked out:

Beautiful Townhouse with Bay Views from Your Rooftop Patio! (http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/apa/2654257710.html - broken link)
(busy street but the apt is huge and area is very walkable, Twin Pines park is across the street).

San mateo Hills great Location (http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/apa/2651414041.html - broken link)

Beautiful Downtown San Carlos Home, Pets ok (http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/apa/2648312288.html - broken link) (San Carlos)

Check out Redwood Shores/Foster City as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland