Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 02:48 PM

3 posts, read 2,563 times

Advertisements

Thanks all for all your replies.
Today, I viewed an apt. that someone had tipped me to in a good neighborhoods, they were about to put thisunit on Craigslist, but they were going to schedule that for later this week. I asked if I could see this today, they said ok. Saw it, liked it.
Went to their office and filled out the application and paid the credit check fee.
I hope this works out, I am looking at another one tomorrow, but hopefully I got the jump on this, I am skeptical, but who knows.
Also, I don't want my report run countless times, this does more harm than good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 05:57 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
Really just do a credit check yourself, get a printout that clearly shows your credit score, then make like 10 backup copies at least and bring one to landlords, that way they don't have to run one and you don't have to pay them each time to run one.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:47 PM

3 posts, read 2,563 times
I have copies of my current report on hand, but they told me they don't accept third party reports, so I had to pay the fee.
In your opinion, if my past landlords give good reports, my credit score is excellent, is this pretty much set since I was first?
Maybe I have read too many SF rental horror stories, and I'm worrying too much.

Thanks.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:58 AM

25 posts, read 41,260 times
I manage a 17-unit apartment building in SF and never print the credit reports for prospective tenants because of the points against their score and I think charging a fee is ridiculous but I think I am not the norm. Management companies typically charge a feee and each one wants to run their own report.

personally I think it's a disservice to the tenants and as long as they pull a report from one of the 3 reputable reporting companies it shouldn't matter who runs it.

It is a competative rental market right now but getting the jump should give you the upper hand if all your info checks out and they can verify your employment and past residences.

Good luck!

Old 10-26-2011, 01:54 PM

13 posts, read 23,551 times
Please forgive me for sounding like a naive fool, but what about for a little less money? Can I find a one-room or studio apartment for like...$1200/month, in the city?

Old 10-26-2011, 02:19 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
In SF I would say that for a decent studio in a nice part of the city, $1200 would be a pretty typical price. You sometimes see them for less, I moved out of one last year in Hayes Valley that was $830 but I couldn't stand living there anymore because it was next to a very noisy nightclub. Oakland would be more like $750 to $1000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland