Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 06:46 AM

2 posts, read 2,558 times

Advertisements

Hi all.
I'm going to be moving to San Francisco in the coming weeks and initially I might not have a car. I will be living in south San Francisco by the Bart station. My work location is the Sfo airport. Ive been trying to map out my best options for public transportation without putting a dent in my monthly earnings. Can anyone suggest the best way to get to and from my work destination and also the cheapest? Any sort of monthly pass that will help me out would be greatly appreciated. Bart Is about 13.80 round trip:/, according to the fare calculator in the website. More expensive than some longer commutes. Why is this? Help me out guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 09:18 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
Take the bus?

Old 10-18-2011, 09:50 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
South San Francisco is a separate city from San Francisco.

Check 511.org for different transit routes. But yeah look into the bus. The ride to the airport is more expensive than any other route because there's a lame surcharge to pay for the pretty airport.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:36 AM

386 posts, read 797,519 times
The reason the fare is so high, is that there is a surcharge added to go to SFO. It was a way for BART to raise fees on travelers and tourists, but not on commuters. If you look at the fare schedule for South SF to Embarcadero, the one way fare is about 1/2 the price compared to SFO. If you are working for an airlines, the TSA, goverment or other large employer, they may have parking lots or reimbursement for using public transportation. You may want to talk to your employer or their HR department.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:31 PM

2 posts, read 2,558 times
I'll be looking into the bus option. Would it be transam? How do you pay? Clipper? How does that work?
I've also read about the Bart plus but I haven't figured it out yet. Would this be a good option?

Thanks for the heads up with the 511 and the employer transportation benefits. I was reading about this in the s.f goverment site and it said it was mandatory for employees from employers. Is this true? I work for an airline.

The place I'll be staying at in south s.f is a corporate apartment for a reasonable amount of time( till I get an apartment). Where should I look for that, close to work, to public transport and under 1300 a month for a 1 bedroom.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:46 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
I have good news for you: BART gives airport workers a break, good for $5 a day.

BART cuts surcharge for SFO workers - SFGate

Old 10-20-2011, 01:20 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
If you can do a studio and don't want a car, I'd suggest San Francisco, could get a studio near a BART station like Glen Park or Balboa Park. Studios in SF are generally around $1200-1500 depending on how nice/big they are. I don't think you'll find many 1br's in San Mateo County for around $1300 but you might. I think living without a car in San Mateo County would be a drag, it's not super sprawly but it's suburban and public transit isn't the best. Daly City might work but you'd be more limited in mobility without a car compared to living in San Francisco.

You could definitely find a 1br in nice parts of Oakland for $1300 or less but that would be a pretty long BART ride to SFO.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:06 AM

386 posts, read 797,519 times
In regards to employer reimbursement for commuting: I don't remember the details as I don't work for a large employer. In order to reduce traffic in the Bay Area, large employers can reimburse employees for their transportation costs. I don't know if there are Fed or State or Local tax breaks or incentives for the companies to do so. As far as I know, it is not mandatory.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:23 AM

2,203 posts, read 3,360,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfosouth View Post
I'll be looking into the bus option. Would it be transam? How do you pay? Clipper? How does that work?
I've also read about the Bart plus but I haven't figured it out yet. Would this be a good option?

Thanks for the heads up with the 511 and the employer transportation benefits. I was reading about this in the s.f goverment site and it said it was mandatory for employees from employers. Is this true? I work for an airline.

The place I'll be staying at in south s.f is a corporate apartment for a reasonable amount of time( till I get an apartment). Where should I look for that, close to work, to public transport and under 1300 a month for a 1 bedroom.
If you work for SF civil service and are assigned to SFO and you live in San Francisco, then you would receive benefits to offset (some) travel expenses. If you live outside of SF and work at SFO, no travel expense. If you work for an airline, you do not work for SF civil service, and the sfgov civil service benefits would not apply to you. You need to check with your (employer) airlines department of human resources regarding travel benefits/parking, etc.

Old 10-22-2011, 12:37 AM

2,131 posts, read 4,914,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfosouth View Post
Any sort of monthly pass that will help me out would be greatly appreciated. Bart Is about 13.80 round trip:/, according to the fare calculator in the website. More expensive than some longer commutes. Why is this? Help me out guys

Does anyone know why BART doesn't have some sort of monthly or day pass?

Has this ever been considered in the past? If so, why was it turned down?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland