Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2011, 06:51 PM

300 posts, read 758,027 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

I am considering a move to the Bay Area next summer, where I would be working at SFO. I wondered if perhaps I could pick your brains for ideas on places to live and means for commuting to the airport.

I can see that the peninsula has some pricey rentals from Craigslist, and I want to find a house to rent. I could afford to 3 K, but would prefer to stay around 2500. I have a wife and a child, so want an area that is quiet with nice people, so no ghettos :-)

I like the East Bay and Napa (I lived in Napa for several years and moved 11 years ago), so Walnut Creek or Dublin/Pleasanton would work for me, but the commute would be a bit of a pain. I could take BART from those cities, and if they still allow law enforcement officers to ride free that would be great (They did when I lived there in the late 90's).

Your thoughts are appreciated, from reading other posts you all have been highly informative. I am open to any nice area that allows me to have a good family life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 08:00 PM

2,203 posts, read 3,360,937 times
I'd look at Millbrae, Burlingame and Belmont. Millbrae is just minutes from SFO, weather you drive or take bart. Burlingame is just a few minutes longer. Belmont would add perhaps 15-20 minutes to your commute. All are nice, safe cities.

Once you see a vacancy in your price range, you have to move quickly!!!

Current homes available in Burlingame (in a very desirable area) OPEN HOUSE SUNDAY 10/30 2PM-5PM NEWLY REMODELED LARGE DUPLEX (http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/apa/2675646787.html - broken link) and Great Ray Park cul de sac location! (http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/apa/2675606970.html - broken link)

and Millbrae home for rent (http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/apa/2665627465.html - broken link)
Great home with wonderful backyard (Millbrae) (http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/apa/2674042823.html - broken link)

You should check out Craigslist for vacancies.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:38 PM

Thanks Twins!

I have perused Craigslist, and have an idea of the prices, but am wondering if you folks have ideas about a nice area where I could rent a nice house for under 3 K (at least a 3/2), which has good schools and a family atmosphere. I would be willing to commute a bit, but it has been a while since I lived in the area, and am open to any suggestions :-)

Old 10-31-2011, 11:10 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
Further south from Millbrae is generally just as expensive or more expensive because you're getting into Silicon Valley. Redwood City comes up as affordable but I think the schools are kind of iffy, same with San Mateo? Pacifica could work if you don't mind the brutal chilly fog. Walnut Creek would definitely work in terms of housing and schools but it would be something like an hour long ride on BART. Could maybe do Castro Valley and drive over the San Mateo bridge to SFO.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Further south from Millbrae is generally just as expensive or more expensive because you're getting into Silicon Valley. Redwood City comes up as affordable but I think the schools are kind of iffy, same with San Mateo? Pacifica could work if you don't mind the brutal chilly fog. Walnut Creek would definitely work in terms of housing and schools but it would be something like an hour long ride on BART. Could maybe do Castro Valley and drive over the San Mateo bridge to SFO.
Pacifica might be interesting. How would that commute be to SFO?

Old 11-01-2011, 07:42 AM

2,203 posts, read 3,360,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablogun View Post
Thanks Twins!

I have perused Craigslist, and have an idea of the prices, but am wondering if you folks have ideas about a nice area where I could rent a nice house for under 3 K (at least a 3/2), which has good schools and a family atmosphere. I would be willing to commute a bit, but it has been a while since I lived in the area, and am open to any suggestions :-)
The three cities I suggested (Millbrae, Burlingame & Belmont) all have very good schools at all levels - elementary, middle and high school. All are family friendly, safe neighborhoods.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:31 PM

Thank you Twins :-) Has anyone any experience commuting from Pacifica to SFO? Googlemaps does not allow me to time the commute over Sharp park road.

I like it rather cold, so I imagine Pacifica will fit me well.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:41 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,724,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablogun View Post
Thank you Twins :-) Has anyone any experience commuting from Pacifica to SFO? Googlemaps does not allow me to time the commute over Sharp park road.

I like it rather cold, so I imagine Pacifica will fit me well.
If you like it cold, you will like Pacifica. Pacifica has fog and wind much of the time. Sharp Park road goes from about sea level to about 800 ft above sea level by the time you get to I-280. It's bit of a winding road and the fog can be a hazard sometimes especially at night. From I-280/I-380, it's an easy ride to SFO airport.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
If you like it cold, you will like Pacifica. Pacifica has fog and wind much of the time. Sharp Park road goes from about sea level to about 800 ft above sea level by the time you get to I-280. It's bit of a winding road and the fog can be a hazard sometimes especially at night. From I-280/I-380, it's an easy ride to SFO airport.
Thanks Humbold, I think this will be a good solution as long as I don't drive off a cliff on the commute
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland