U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 12:02 AM

6,915 posts, read 6,752,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
It's much more scenic at night, when you can see the flash of gunfire provide a romantic tinge to the view.

Translation: I've never been to Oakland and I'm scared of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 12:50 AM

1,570 posts, read 894,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Translation: I've never been to Oakland and I'm scared of it.
I've been there plenty. Nothing special.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
LA and Oakland have pretty similar problems with crime and riots, so your attempt at trolling is pretty weak...

Then again, you'd argue with a brick wall or anyone that'll give you attention, so I'm not why anyone has even bothered replying to you in the first place.
Actually, L.A's homicide rate is not even one half of Oakland's, so if by pretty similar you mean not the same at all, then, yeah.

Your attempt at saying something intelligent for once is pretty weak.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:23 AM

6,915 posts, read 6,752,315 times
Quote:
I've been there plenty

Yeah right.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:46 PM

5,245 posts, read 6,743,140 times
Quote:
I think the worst part of LA is the people. The weather and scenery are great and there's plenty to do (beaches, nightlife, art, great food, etc) but for whatever reason, the majority people down there just irritate the hell out of me. Not everyone is a vapid moron, but you can't really swing a dead cat in the LA Basin without hitting one.
The weather in Southern California is basically perfect if you're near the coast, but my god the traffic sucks donkey balls, I don't see how so many people can live there without going insane. I went to Orange Co. for a week this summer and I was so glad to be back in Oakland where the weather is crappier but I can get around without sitting in a car going nowhere for several hours a day.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:38 PM

3,052 posts, read 2,443,822 times
I really don't think the weather in Oakland is any worse than SoCal. In fact, I prefer 65-75 temps over 75-85 temps during the summer- plus the air quality up here is soooooo much better. I'd take SoCal's weather over SF any day though...

Old 11-08-2011, 01:44 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,545,890 times
I didn't vote b/c I don't know how SF and LA are defined in this case. Are they the entire metropolitan areas or just the cities proper? I haven't spent enough time in either city proper to come to a conclusion, although based on visits I might actually say SF. I used to say LA, but SF packs a lot of action (of the fun kind) into only 49 square miles, plus it's generally cleaner, easier to navigate and less polluted.

Comparing metropolitan areas, it's a toss-up. I mean, here in the Bay Area, I like Marin, Napa County, the peninsula and, for the most part, Silicon Valley, but haven't been impressed with the East Bay at all. Down in the L.A. area, I like much of what I've seen in OC, as well as parts of Ventura Co., but know little about the Inland Empire. I think the cultures and people between each metro aren't as drastically different as people make them out to be, so it's a matter of living where you are most comfortable (if possible). At least that's the way I look at it.

I'd like to work my way down the coast and live in San Luis Obispo or OC to experience more of CA, but it wouldn't be a "get the heck out of the Bay Area" sorta thing.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:28 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,594,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
I went to Orange Co. for a week
Ouch. A surefire means of bringing on the headache.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:59 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,775,477 times
Quote:
LA and Oakland have pretty similar problems with crime and riots, so your attempt at trolling is pretty weak...

Then again, you'd argue with a brick wall or anyone that'll give you attention, so I'm not why anyone has even bothered replying to you in the first place.
Ha. And you thought trolls only existed in fairytales.

Quote:
Actually, L.A's homicide rate is not even one half of Oakland's, so if by pretty similar you mean not the same at all, then, yeah.

Your attempt at saying something intelligent for once is pretty weak.
When will you say something intelligent?

Old 11-09-2011, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post

When will you say something intelligent?
Homicide rate for L.A is 7.6 per 100,000. For Oakland it's 22 per 100,000.

I think the question is when someone from Oakland will say something intelligent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland