U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 12:41 AM

1,705 posts, read 1,775,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
Which is a better city for a person of immigrant background to live in? Which city has better job opportunities and better women for LTRs? Which city would you rather live in?Unbiased opinions please.
If I may,

Honestly, we still do not know anything about you, from the type of job opportunities you seek to the type of women you prefer, or anything else that would make your life a better experience.

Spend time in both cities, is like the most apt answer I can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
Homicide rate for L.A is 7.6 per 100,000. For Oakland it's 22 per 100,000.

I think the question is when someone from Oakland will say something intelligent.
Provide your source.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:59 AM

1,570 posts, read 894,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
Provide your source.
FBI — Violent Crime

Old 11-09-2011, 01:17 AM

6,915 posts, read 6,752,315 times
Quote:
Homicide rate for L.A is 7.6 per 100,000. For Oakland it's 22 per 100,000.

I think the question is when someone from Oakland will say something intelligent.

More than that, the violent crime rate doesn't really mean much in the context of a megapolis like LA... you're kidding yourself if you think the worst in LA doesn't match (or in many cases exceed) the worst in Oakland. The worst parts of LA combined are considerably larger in terms of land mass and population than Oakland. This is not apples and apples here... anyone who's actually been to both would know this, which is why I don't believe for a second that you've actually been to Oakland.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
More than that, the violent crime rate doesn't really mean much in the context of a megapolis like LA... you're kidding yourself if you think the worst in LA doesn't match (or in many cases exceed) the worst in Oakland. The worst parts of LA combined are considerably larger in terms of land mass and population than Oakland. This is not apples and apples here... anyone who's actually been to both would know this, which is why I don't believe for a second that you've actually been to Oakland.
You're right, Oakland has 1/10 the population and a crime rate that's double. Exactly what's your point?

Sounds Fantabulous!

You can equivocate all you want. "But, but, it's a large city, and everyone knows, the bigger the city, the lower the crime rate! Right? Right?

Sorry, but a citizen of Oakland is three times more likely to be a homicide victim than a citizen of L.A. You can try to equivocate your way out of that fact, but you're really just failing hard. This is a crime RATE, not an aggregate number.

The funny thing is, I could care less, that O4kl4nd guy just follows me around making lame insults, so I shot back - But now I have a bunch of Oakland apologists getting their feelings hurt.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:34 AM

Quote:
You're right, Oakland has 1/10 the population and a crime rate that's double. Exactly what's your point?

Sounds Fantabulous!

You can equivocate all you want. "But, but, it's a large city, and everyone knows, the bigger the city, the lower the crime rate! Right? Right?

Sorry, but a citizen of Oakland is three times more likely to be a homicide victim than a citizen of L.A. You can try to equivocate your way out of that fact, but you're really just failing hard. This is a crime RATE, not an aggregate number.

The funny thing is, I could care less, that O4kl4nd guy just follows me around making lame insults, so I shot back - But now I have a bunch of Oakland apologists getting their feelings hurt.

You think that's equivocating? You must be one of the people who thinks New York City is actually safe. Rofl lets see how much that "lower murder rate" buys you in East Compton or East LA. Vallejo has a higher murder rate than LA but I'll be damned if there's anywhere in Vallejo half as terrible as Watts.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The FBI cautions readers against using their data to rank and or compare cities. To do so, represents an irresponsible misuse of this data, due to the fact there are many limitations of the data itself.

For example:

There is a greater difference of crime within cities than between them. Knowing the crime rate reveals next to nothing about the various factors affecting individual crime risk and makes no one any safer.

Thus, the "more likely to be killed in Oakland" idea is false, according to the data it was misperceived from

How's that for intelligence?

Old 11-09-2011, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
You think that's equivocating? You must be one of the people who thinks New York City is actually safe. Rofl lets see how much that "lower murder rate" buys you in East Compton or East LA. Vallejo has a higher murder rate than LA but I'll be damned if there's anywhere in Vallejo half as terrible as Watts.
Wow. That is equivocating big time. Oakland has a homicide rate that's triple L.A's. No getting around that. L.A has dangerous parts, Oakland has dangerous parts. L.A has larger dangerous parts because it's larger. That is equivocating.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
The FBI cautions readers against using their data to rank and or compare cities. To do so, represents an irresponsible misuse of this data, due to the fact there are many limitations of the data itself.

For example:

There is a greater difference of crime within cities than between them. Knowing the crime rate reveals next to nothing about the various factors affecting individual crime risk and makes no one any safer.

How's that for intelligence?
There isn't a city in the world where crime is evenly distributed. Both cities have good neighborhoods and crappy neighborhoods - so all things being equal, Oaklandites still manage to kill each other off at 3x the rate (or compared to my city, 11x the rate).

Old 11-09-2011, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Wow. That is equivocating big time. Oakland has a homicide rate that's triple L.A's. No getting around that. L.A has dangerous parts, Oakland has dangerous parts. L.A has larger dangerous parts because it's larger. That is equivocating.

And what is your point? You can get shot in the ghetto in LA just as easily as you can in the ghetto in Oakland. There's no getting around that the lower crime rate in LA does not make the ghettos there any better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland