U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Unread 11-09-2011, 12:54 AM
 
1,570 posts, read 709,991 times
Reputation: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
And what is your point? You can get shot in the ghetto in LA just as easily as you can in Oakland. There's no getting around that the lower crime rate in LA does not make the ghettos there any better.
It makes them less worse. I'm 3x more likely to get shot in a ghetto in Oakland. There's no getting around the fact that a homicide rate 300% higher makes Oakland more violent and less safe than L.A.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 11-09-2011, 12:58 AM
 
Location: The Bay
6,766 posts, read 5,661,245 times
Reputation: 2871
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
It makes them less worse. I'm 3x more likely to get shot in a ghetto in Oakland. There's no getting around the fact that a homicide rate 300% higher makes Oakland more violent and less safe than L.A.

Completely wrong. The reason why LA's murder rate is lower is because the ghetto areas make up a comparably smaller portion of the city... that doesn't mean that they're any less violent. While there are some big cities that don't really have a "real" ghetto to speak of (Seattle, Portland, etc.) Los Angeles isn't one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 11-09-2011, 01:04 AM
 
1,570 posts, read 709,991 times
Reputation: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Completely wrong. The reason why LA's murder rate is lower is because the ghetto areas make up a comparably smaller portion of the city... that doesn't mean that they're any less violent. While there are some big cities that don't really have a "real" ghetto to speak of (Seattle, Portland, etc.) Los Angeles isn't one of them.
So it's just that more of Oakland is a ghettotastic dump (if we're going by homicide rate, in fact, the crappy parts of Oakland comprise 300% more of the city limits than the crappy parts of L.A do).

Well, I won't argue with that.

Dang, that means that Oakland's ghettos are 1100% larger (proportionally speaking) than in my city!

Our ghetto's aren't more dangerous, we just have more of them! Welcome to Oakland!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 11-09-2011, 01:05 AM
 
Location: Alameda, CA - Oakland, CA
1,577 posts, read 1,430,848 times
Reputation: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
There isn't a city in the world where crime is evenly distributed. Both cities have good neighborhoods and crappy neighborhoods - so all things being equal, Oaklandites still manage to kill each other off at 3x the rate (or compared to my city, 11x the rate).
Swing and miss!

There is a reason why, no, multiple resaons why the FBI cautions people against using it's data for a crime ranking list.

As I stated earlier, knowing the crime rate of an individual city makes no one any safer, because there are many different factors that affect an individual crime risk.

With that being said, it is obvious that you are a prime example of why the FBI cautions against using it's limited data, simply because you misuse it, thus your arguments are still invalid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 11-09-2011, 01:08 AM
 
Location: The Bay
6,766 posts, read 5,661,245 times
Reputation: 2871
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
So it's just that more of Oakland is a ghettotastic dump (if we're going by homicide rate, in fact, the crappy parts of Oakland comprise 300% more of the city limits than the crappy parts of L.A do).

Well, I won't argue with that.

Dang, that means that Oakland's ghettos are 1100% larger (proportionally speaking) than in my city!


Whatever floats your boat. Just so long as you continue to stay out of my city I'll be perfectly happy to let you keep that view... I don't like having fearmongers for neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 11-09-2011, 01:14 AM
 
1,570 posts, read 709,991 times
Reputation: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Whatever floats your boat. Just so long as you continue to stay out of my city I'll be perfectly happy to let you keep that view... I don't like having fearmongers for neighbors.
I don't like having stupid people for neighbors, so don't worry about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 11-09-2011, 01:15 AM
 
1,570 posts, read 709,991 times
Reputation: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
Swing and miss!

There is a reason why, no, multiple resaons why the FBI cautions people against using it's data for a crime ranking list.

As I stated earlier, knowing the crime rate of an individual city makes no one any safer, because there are many different factors that affect an individual crime risk.

With that being said, it is obvious that you are a prime example of why the FBI cautions against using it's limited data, simply because you misuse it, thus your arguments are still invalid.
What are these factors - and how, in this case, do they make Oakland just as safe as L.A?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 11-09-2011, 01:18 AM
 
Location: The Bay
6,766 posts, read 5,661,245 times
Reputation: 2871
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
Our ghetto's aren't more dangerous, we just have more of them! Welcome to Oakland!

Again, false. LA's ghetto areas are larger than the entire city of Oakland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 11-09-2011, 01:21 AM
 
Location: The Bay
6,766 posts, read 5,661,245 times
Reputation: 2871
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
I don't like having stupid people for neighbors, so don't worry about it.

I bet your neighbors can't say the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 11-09-2011, 01:22 AM
 
1,570 posts, read 709,991 times
Reputation: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Again, false. LA's ghetto areas are larger than the entire city of Oakland.
To quote someone. no ****, Sherlock.

But, proportionally speaking, by your own admission, a larger percentage of Oakland's land area is ghetto. You said this because you stated that Oakland's ghetto's aren't 3x as violent, if Oakland's ghettos are simply as violent as L.A's, then Oakland needs to have a ghetto to land area ratio that's 3 times greater than L.A's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top