Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What football team do you follow?
49ers 30 61.22%
Raiders 12 24.49%
Other 7 14.29%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 11:12 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Going to the raiders bears game this week end. Got tickets some nice seats in the end zone. I will report back after theweek end to let you know how many stabbings, shootings, and crack smoking I see from some of the local folk.
You'll be disappointed if that's what you're expecting. OTOH, the parking lot BBQ will be top-notch as you watch the morning games on HDTV's mixed in with free tequila and iceblock shots. Get a little Captain in ya.

And the Raiders will crush da Bares this weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 10:10 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
Earthquakes

Between the Niners and Raiders, I will watch when either is on. I don't have the patience to watch football intently anymore, but I hope for both to do well regardless.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Earthquakes
New stadium will wake a lot of people up. Especially if it attracts a few top-notch DP's to the team.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:14 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times
i'd like to expand on a comment that i made earlier:

the giants and the 49ers are the flagship franchises of the bay area. emotion aside, that would be very hard to argue with.

look, when a team does well, it attracts fans. during that time, the team takes center stage. however, that doesn't mean that there are enduring factors attached to franchises that transcend that notion.

plenty of examples exist. in LA, the Angels have had more recent success than the Dodgers. They give the appearance in the Southland of being fully competitive with the boys in blue. But if the situation were reversed, the Dodgers on top and the Angels doing poorly, LA would be overwhelmingly tilted to the Dodgers.

The White Sox captured Chicago in 2005 winning the World Series. They were the real story. But in most years, no matter where either team is in the standings, Chicago very much tilts to the Cubs over the Sox, as New York does to the Yankees over the Mets.

So what does that mean for the Bay Area:

Giants over A's: no match. San Francisco sucks the oxygen out of the Bay Area air and leaves little for the A's. Being SF counts. Being the first MLB team on the West Coast (ok, a shared honor with LA) counts; the Giants had already built a strong fan base in the East Bay before the A's arrived (and I don't think few short of Charles Finley would have chosen to make a home in the already MLB Bay Area). Having the name GIANTS, as deep rooted in MLB tradition as any with incredible successes in NY counts over a Philadelphia franchise that didn't count much and couldn't even make it alone in KC. The Giants have the power structure, the ballpark (outfield foul poles apart from the A's) and just can't help coming out ahead.

49ers over Raiders: With obvious shared qualities with the Giants and A's. The 49ers are San Francisco and they are first in the Bay Area. Indeed the 49ers are, by far, the oldest franchise west of St. Louis in any sport. You can choose 1945 as a reference point (the short lived AAFC) or 1950 when the 49ers joined the NFL. Incredibly if you look at all NFL franchises, San Francisco is in the top quartile as to when they joined the league; that's incredible for a west coast team. Five Super Bowl championships (which put SF in the Dallas, Green Bay, and Pittsburgh category) helped seal the deal. The 49ers still packed the fans in during the lean years. And isn't it clear today that San Francisco has gone nuts over the 49ers.

on a totally off topic aside: I sure wish that SF could have worked a stadium deal out with the team. I love tradition and the 49ers are so much a part of the San Francisco tradition. Santa Clara is a world apart in the far flung Bay Area, a place where subregions (SF, The Peninsula, East Bay, SJ/Silicon Valley, Marin, Wine Country) carry a weight of their own that is untypical in most metro areas where one city dominates the region and the rest is generically "the suburbs". SF is not Silicon Valley or Greater San Jose. The 49ers belong in The City. And, yes, San Francisco is still The City.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:05 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,379,593 times
At this point, it could be theoretically possible for a Bay Area Superbowl. That would be cool!

Old 11-28-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
At this point, it could be theoretically possible for a Bay Area Superbowl. That would be cool!
Which could occur, in a few years, in Santa Clara, at the new home of both teams. Hopefully not repeating the severe interruption visited upon the '89 Bay Area World Series.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:24 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,159,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
You'll be disappointed if that's what you're expecting. OTOH, the parking lot BBQ will be top-notch as you watch the morning games on HDTV's mixed in with free tequila and iceblock shots. Get a little Captain in ya.

And the Raiders will crush da Bares this weekend.
Mixed results. Of course in the parking lot and around the stadium there were tons of sub human like animals. But we were right in the end zone so we had good seats. Some of the fans we sat near were rude and trashy at first, but classed up when they saw we were not going to play into childish antics.

For raiders fans they were pretty classy, but for raiders fans $100+ tickets is high class, lol. If we were in Chicago those same seats would have gone for much more and would have had a more refined crowd.

Overall not the blow out. Bears didn't have Cutler but they hung in there pretty well. An exciting game despite the fact that the raiders kicked the ball around most of the game

Old 12-02-2011, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
If we were in Chicago those same seats would have gone for much more and would have had a more refined crowd.
This isn't ballet*, this is pure f'ing hardcore football. The tailgate, the Black Hole, and the team make sure this is the case.

*There is plenty of wine and cheese on the other side of the bay for the more (cough) 'refined crowd'.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:07 PM

330 posts, read 749,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
This isn't ballet*, this is pure f'ing hardcore football. The tailgate, the Black Hole, and the team make sure this is the case.

*There is plenty of wine and cheese on the other side of the bay for the more (cough) 'refined crowd'.
Ahhh, okay, I think I'm starting to understand....this is why Raiders fans are such maniacs. They think they are actually playing in the game.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:54 AM

314 posts, read 486,868 times
NEITHER.......ROLLLL ONNNN YOOOUUU (CAL) BEEEAAAARRSSSS!!!!!!!!!
Haha but I'm a Raiders fan too. I just like college football more. I am an A's fan as well even though we just finished a bad season.

In a lot of the nicer areas, you will see people supporting the Giants and 49ers. Heck, even in the nicer parts of Oakland, you will see a lot of Giants and 49ers hats, and even before the Giants won the WS and before this year's niner revival. A lot people from SF have moved to the East Bay in the last 5-10years or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland