Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What football team do you follow?
49ers 30 61.22%
Raiders 12 24.49%
Other 7 14.29%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 06:45 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,379,593 times

Advertisements

For those posters who follow football, I was wondering which Bay Area team has more followers.

In the other metro area that has 2 football teams (New York), there is a noticeable higher trend of people identifying more with the Giants than with the Jets. I suspect that the 49ers similarly have a higher following than the Raiders, but in the Bay Area, there is more of a geographic element (East Bay/East Side of Santa Clara County vs. Peninsula/SF/Half of Santa Clara County)

Considering that both the 49ers and the Raiders are above .500 this year, it would be interesting to see how this would play out locally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 10:22 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,159,099 times
Half the raiders fans seem to mob up from LA. Bay area can not fill the stadium alone, simply not enough raiders fans there. Or I take that back, there are plenty of raiders fans, just not enough raiders fans that can afford the mere 60 bucks for stub hub, rofl. Both those teams need to get their stadiums out of the ghetto tho. That's really 1980's throw back that no one really likes, nor is nostalgic about.

Old 11-12-2011, 12:43 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,132,725 times
Raiders fans seem more visible in their support, in terms of logo wear, stickers and other gear. Niners fans are turning out in bigger numbers this year, with the team's record.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:31 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,379,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Half the raiders fans seem to mob up from LA. Bay area can not fill the stadium alone, simply not enough raiders fans there. Or I take that back, there are plenty of raiders fans, just not enough raiders fans that can afford the mere 60 bucks for stub hub, rofl. Both those teams need to get their stadiums out of the ghetto tho. That's really 1980's throw back that no one really likes, nor is nostalgic about.
Interestingly, when I was last in Oakland, I noticed more people wearing 49ers gear than Raiders gear. I didn't know what to make of that.

You also assume that the LA Raider fans could afford it as well It sort of boggles me driving up 370 miles just to watch football. Though the 49ers have a decent following here as well. So do the Chargers. And every other city's teams.

Chances are, the 49ers will DEFINITELY win the NFC West and the Raiders are leading the AFC West, so both Bay Area teams could theoretically make the playoffs.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:39 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Bay area can not fill the stadium alone, simply not enough raiders fans there. Or I take that back, there are plenty of raiders fans, just not enough raiders fans that can afford the mere 60 bucks for stub hub, rofl.
Five sellouts in a row says times are-a-changin'. A good QB and ferocious pass rush help. RaiderNation from all over (esp. LA) packed the Chargers' stadium for the Thursday night game - pretty funny stuff, unless you're an SD fan.

Old 11-13-2011, 01:10 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,959,482 times
Five sellouts also include the two for one season ticket holder specials. Many people get together and split the cost.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:04 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Five sellouts also include the two for one season ticket holder specials. Many people get together and split the cost.
Which would be the smart thing to do in this economy.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:47 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,074,702 times
8-1 record for the Niners, not bad.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:16 PM

330 posts, read 749,502 times
As a newcomer I'm always confused by the allegiances people have here. I would have thought anybody from the East Bay would be a die-hard Raiders fan. You'd think that would be a fairly simple concept. But I work in the East Bay and see plenty of Niners fans over here. I've even met a few people "born and raised" in Berkeley who are Niners fans. Not to mention, I take BART back to SF every day and all throughout baseball season I saw a ton of people on the train commuting into the city from El Cerrito/Berkeley/Oakland wearing Giants gear.

I wonder if its a class thing. Like people from the Berkeley hills don't want to be associated with the "ghetto" Raiders fans. I know for a while Niners fans got teased about being the "wine and cheese" crowd or whatever....Although, having visited Candlestick this year for a Niners game, there is certainly a ghetto element there as well. Maybe it's not always been that way though....

Old 11-17-2011, 06:11 PM

425 posts, read 958,387 times
as for the Jets and Giants, it comes down to a few things, some of it is age, the Jets fan base is a bit younger, and location, as alot of the Jets fan base is in Queens and Long Island, and the Giants for the most part draw from NJ, Manhatten and Brooklyn tends to be split.

Also the tendencies are that for the most part Yankees fans tend to be Giants, Knicks & Rangers fan...while Mets fans for the most part are Jets, Islanders and Knicks...as the Nets have been a NJ team for awhile and will only be a NY team again in 2012.

This is not a set in stone thing, as I know alot of Met-Giants-Knicks-Rangers fans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland