U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-19-2011, 09:15 AM

2 posts, read 2,077 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I plan to move to the city soon and was going to sign a lease for an apartment at filbet/fillmore. I am getting concerned, however, because I have heard the fillmore bus brings in a rough crowd sometimes, and i walked through last night and felt a little uncomfortable. Is it fine to live there, or should I head further into a residential zone e.g. Russian Hill?

Please leave all snickering comments about the Marina/Cow Hollow out of this Thank you for your help!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 11:15 AM

507 posts, read 567,851 times
I don't think you shouldn't sign a lease anywhere you feel unsafe. I'd suggest looking until you find somewhere you feel comfortable.

That said, I wouldn't feel unsafe in that area. The sketchy parts of Fillmore are way south, past Geary. Yes, the bus goes there, but I think every bus in the City must pass through a bad neighborhood at some point in its route.

I would be more concerned about noise in that location, myself.

Old 11-19-2011, 11:31 AM

6,920 posts, read 6,932,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isebiel View Post
I don't think you shouldn't sign a lease anywhere you feel unsafe. I'd suggest looking until you find somewhere you feel comfortable.

That said, I wouldn't feel unsafe in that area. The sketchy parts of Fillmore are way south, past Geary. Yes, the bus goes there, but I think every bus in the City must pass through a bad neighborhood at some point in its route.

I would be more concerned about noise in that location, myself.

I would modify that to being above California... you have some not-so-nice projects all around the vicinity of the part of Fillmore between California and Geary:

Sutter & Broderick - Google Maps

Old 11-19-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
I would modify that to being above California... you have some not-so-nice projects all around the vicinity of the part of Fillmore between California and Geary:
Huh! Those projects sure are sprinkled all over the place, aren't they?

Though, still, that's pretty far from Filbert.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:03 PM

2 posts, read 2,077 times
Thanks for your help! I think part of my problem is acclimating to a new city vibe. I am used to Chicago where it has a different feel, streets are super bright and packed at night, etc. So I think my radar is a little off.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:59 PM

I am also moving from Chicago! I know what you mean. The density in the S.F. neighborhoods I checked out was not high enough to make the nearby streets seem lively... or even inhabited, late. It's like everyone goes to bed early. You get the occasional person headed to pick something up at a Walgreens, a few young couples, some dog walkers, and the local homeless dudes settling down for the night. Combine that with minimal street lighting and some fog and it can feel pretty creepy. And that's at like... 7pm!

North Beach had what seemed like Chicago "normal" levels of busy-ness, but it's mostly tourists. If that's what you'd be more comfortable with, you might investigate around there... though I suspect it would get tiring after a while.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:31 PM

415 posts, read 351,668 times
Wait, filbert and fillmore is in Marina. I just looked at the map, its literally two blocks from Matrix Fillmore (night club/lounge) and Pizza Orgasmica (which I believe is open very late at night). Not to sound cliche, but isn't "the only thing to feel scared off in this area" will be drunk yuppies and loud partying.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:26 AM

331 posts, read 380,462 times
Unless you can afford to live in a place like Seacliff, Filbert and Fillmore is going to be about as safe as it gets in the city. I don't think you have anything to worry about at all. Its not like the crazies hop on the bus and ride it to the nice parts of towns just to f*** with people.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:09 PM

8,064 posts, read 10,102,680 times
Filbert and Fillmore is the land of the 1%ers.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:14 PM

5,245 posts, read 6,926,330 times
Just don't leave your 401(k) lying around out in the open. Those yuppie stockbroker vultures will tear it to shreds. Animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland