U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 06:06 PM

267 posts, read 203,787 times

Advertisements

West Oakland certainly hasn't seen any development, there are numerous plans but they are all currently stalled due to the economy. JLS on the other hand has seen much development and the warehouse area by the Amtrak station has seen a huge change starting in the Jerry Brown years. However the square itself, despite quite a bit of development, has managed to stay basically stagnant. Adding only a few notable restaurants and nothing more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 07:12 PM

7,755 posts, read 6,814,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
West Oakland Liquor is one of two places on 7th that actually sells any form of groceries... it's really disturbing how under-served that entire surrounding area is.
Hail of bullets shot into crowds doesn't help when businesses are deciding whether to open up in the area.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:32 PM

177 posts, read 233,925 times
Quote:
I'm not saying liquor stores are great either - they're not - but the vast majority of the businesses that once populated 7th Street are gone now. There used to be tons of clubs, a historic movie theater (Lincoln Theater), stores, etc... none of that is there now. Other than People's Grocery, the development in Mandela Gateway has close to nothing and the Jack London Center by the towers is equally barren. West Oakland Liquor is one of two places on 7th that actually sells any form of groceries... it's really disturbing how under-served that entire surrounding area is.
The area is definitively undeserved. I didn't mean to say it wasn't undeserved. Rather that there is more than one one business on that street. Also I am kind of biased against liquor stores. Due to having a distinct dislike for alcoholic beverages. Taking up a spot that could instead house a regular grocery store that provides food at affordable prices kind of makes my blood boil.

The really tragic thing is that somebody would actually fire a gun within city limits. And have so little regard for human life.

Last edited by dlyoung123; 11-30-2011 at 07:48 PM..

Old 11-30-2011, 07:45 PM

7,817 posts, read 4,527,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Watch as there's no protests against the shootings, just like when that 3 year old was shot.
No time to deal with piddly crap like this, they're too busy hanging out in city parks and creating a new world order that will right the wrongs of capitalism.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:10 PM

6,004 posts, read 3,645,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlyoung123 View Post
The area is definitively undeserved. I didn't mean to say it wasn't undeserved. Rather that there is more than one one business on that street. Also I am kind of biased against liquor stores. Due to having a distinct dislike for alcoholic beverages. Taking up a spot that could instead house a regular grocery store that provides food at affordable prices kind of makes my blood boil.

The really tragic thing is that somebody would actually fire a gun within city limits. And have so little regard for human life.
Well, all it takes is someone who wants to buy them out and open a grocery store on the corner. Kroger tried & failed on West Grand, but there's still a few signs of hope coming to the area:
Healthy foods bill could bring more grocery stores and farmers’ markets to East and West Oakland – Oakland North : North Oakland News, Food, Art and Events
People's Grocery - Healthy food for everyone!

Old 11-30-2011, 11:27 PM

8,311 posts, read 5,421,118 times
Quote:
It wasn't in the projects, it was in front of West Oakland Liquor on 7th Street... it's one of the only surviving business on 7th Street. This whole situation is sad for more reasons than one.
Oh, I'm sorry. A liquor store located one block from the projects in a neighborhood full of projects. My bad. Gangs having shootouts in the street often have sad results. Of course, we can expect more violence in retaliation for this which was retaliation for past disrespect/violence. That's just how the life works.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:07 AM

1,363 posts, read 1,847,790 times
I think what makes Oakland more dangerous than many cities is the heavy political element that is ingrained in the history of the city. The heavily political element in Oakland combined with a corrupt police force has resulted in chaos and violence recently in the Occupy Oakland protests as well as the Oscar Grant verdict last year. Baltimore is also a dangerous city, yet I have never seen downtown Baltimore looking like this and I don't want to see it ever looking like this...

Old 12-01-2011, 12:32 AM

3,128 posts, read 2,540,798 times
While I realize that people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, Baltimore is a total cesspool compared to Oakland. Anyone with half a brain knows to steer clear of downtown during a protest during the middle of the night. Aside from the Inner Harbor and Federal Hill, I don't find anywhere in Baltimore to be at all charming- I know this from personal experience.

Last edited by 04kL4nD; 12-01-2011 at 12:41 AM..

Old 12-01-2011, 01:37 AM

5,245 posts, read 6,876,496 times
Yeah every time I go to Market Hall in Rockridge it's really tough dealing with all the rioting over balsamic vinegar and pancetta.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:40 AM

6,004 posts, read 3,645,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Oh, I'm sorry. A liquor store located one block from the projects in a neighborhood full of projects. My bad. Gangs having shootouts in the street often have sad results. Of course, we can expect more violence in retaliation for this which was retaliation for past disrespect/violence. That's just how the life works.
There are no projects in that neighborhood, get it straight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland