U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 09:52 AM

6,913 posts, read 6,574,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
There are no projects in that neighborhood, get it straight.

He's probably talking about Campbell Village up on 8th & Willow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 10:55 AM

5,842 posts, read 3,360,215 times
OK my bad...thought he was referring to Acorn. Either way I'm not taking disses from a guy from Sacramento about my city, or one from LA calling another city violent & dangerous.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:56 PM

2,086 posts, read 1,174,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Another one of these threads. Yes crime has happened in a major American city.

Next
Really. And just who are these folks who think it's noteworthy to point out crime in big cities, like New York, Chicago, L.A or even Oakland, as if they were RFD's?

Old 12-02-2011, 12:28 PM

1,363 posts, read 1,759,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
While I realize that people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, Baltimore is a total cesspool compared to Oakland. Anyone with half a brain knows to steer clear of downtown during a protest during the middle of the night. Aside from the Inner Harbor and Federal Hill, I don't find anywhere in Baltimore to be at all charming- I know this from personal experience.
You're right. I wasn't defending Baltimore by any means. You can buy "wet" (PCP) in downtown Baltimore in front of Lexington Market at 4 PM on a weekday. If you walk two blocks away from the Inner Harbor, you will be propositioned to buy some of Baltimore's finest "dimes of the gray". Seemingly endless blocks and blocks of Baltimore are blighted and very dangerous.

However, I have never been in downtown Baltimore and seen police officers shooting people with rubber bullets and throwing grenades with everything on fire. You can't get around the fact that many of Oakland's residents will not hesitate to riot and raise hell and the police will use excessive force when not even necessary. When Sean Bell was murdered in New York, no one rioted. That is because New York is a complete police state. Police occupy places like Bed-Stuy and Crown Heights like U.S. soldiers in Iraq. On the other hand, police in Oakland are getting laid off left and right and no longer respond to crimes like burglary and grand theft.

Suffer These Crimes in Oakland? Don't Call the Cops | NBC Bay Area

I agree that Oakland's problems with crime are exaggerated in the national media. Oakland is by no means as big a craphole as Camden, NJ or Baltimore. San Francisco in 2011 has as much street crime and problems with gang violence in parts of the Mission and the Tenderloin. However, cops being laid off inevitably makes a place more dangerous. It doesn't help that the remaining cops in Oakland are shooting many nonviolent protesters with rubber bullets and roughing up mostly law abiding citizens (protesters who destroy private property not included).

Old 12-02-2011, 12:38 PM

1,363 posts, read 1,759,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Yeah every time I go to Market Hall in Rockridge it's really tough dealing with all the rioting over balsamic vinegar and pancetta.
Well doctors at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore aren't riding dirtbikes, flipping street signs and hugging corners and selling dope (the illegal variety anyway) either. Most people wouldn't feel safe downtown in any city with an uprising of the magnitude of what has been happening at Occupy Oakland.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:57 PM

5,245 posts, read 6,564,178 times
California is a very political state and Oakland is a very political city. Yes there are a lot of activists who show up but a lot of the time they are out of towners who just helicopter in to Oakland to raise trouble, that was definitely the case with the riots after Mehserle was acquitted, most of the people arrested were from places like Sacramento. The vast majority of people at Occupy Oakland were peaceful and didn't participate in any rioting while suffering brutal police actions and either you know it or you're really uninformed. So yes Oakland has a radical history but if you actually spent any time in Downtown Oakland you'd know it's a really cool place with a lot of nice blocks with awesome restaurants and bars mixed in with a lot of junky ghetto blocks, it seriously changes block to block.

Frankly I don't care if some deluded out of towner thinks Oakland is some scary radical place where the cops and anarchists are duking it out every day, maybe it means I can get a stool at the bar at the Trappist more easily. Like San Francisco, Oakland is a symbol of wildly different things to a lot of people who don't live here so they come up with a lot of dumb presumptions about it. Either it's full of scary ghetto thugs, or it's radicalized and full of scary anarchists, or else it's seen as a playground for out of town anarchists to come and riot. It's none of those things but if you're scared of Oakland don't come here, I like it that it's really underrated. Keeps the rent down and makes it easier to get a table at restaurants.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:30 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,316,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
You can't get around the fact that many of Oakland's residents will not hesitate to riot and raise hell and the police will use excessive force when not even necessary.

I agree that Oakland's problems with crime are exaggerated in the national media. Oakland is by no means as big a craphole as Camden, NJ or Baltimore. San Francisco in 2011 has as much street crime and problems with gang violence in parts of the Mission and the Tenderloin. However, cops being laid off inevitably makes a place more dangerous. It doesn't help that the remaining cops in Oakland are shooting many nonviolent protesters with rubber bullets and roughing up mostly law abiding citizens (protesters who destroy private property not included).
Ok. The last few times there have been riots, the majority of the people who wind up getting arrested by the police aren't even from Oakland. A lot of them are anarchists from other cities in CA, and even from other parts of the country. The media doesn't like to report this either.

The reality is that while there may be chaos and riots that happen downtown, you really have to go looking for trouble to find it. Just like the majority of homicides that happen in Oakland tend to be isolated to a few concentrated neighborhoods. While I'm not condoning the retaliation by the police, the truth is that you would never catch me downtown after dark during the middle of a demonstration- not because I'm not sympathetic of the cause, but because I know that the odds of something bad happening are pretty good. For the same reasons, I would never drive around Sobrante Park in Deep East Oakland.

Sure, random acts of violence and theft can occur anywhere in Oakland- but the same can be said for SF and Berkeley. As someone who lives in West Oakland, I feel safe living here because I know what parts to avoid. I certainly can't speak for everyone else, but it's really irritating when people act like Oakland is on the same level of places like Baltimore, Detroit, St Louis, South Central LA, New Orleans, etc. It's nowhere even close.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:39 PM

6,913 posts, read 6,574,511 times
Quote:
Ok. The last few times there have been riots, the majority of the people who wind up getting arrested by the police aren't even from Oakland. A lot of them are anarchists from other cities in CA, and even from other parts of the country. The media doesn't like to report this either.

The reality is that while there may be chaos and riots that happen downtown, you really have to go looking for trouble to find it. Just like the majority of homicides that happen in Oakland tend to be isolated to a few concentrated neighborhoods. While I'm not condoning the retaliation by the police, the truth is that you would never catch me downtown after dark during the middle of a demonstration- not because I'm not sympathetic of the cause, but because I know that the odds of something bad happening are pretty good. For the same reasons, I would never drive around Sobrante Park in Deep East Oakland.

Sure, random acts of violence and theft can occur anywhere in Oakland- but the same can be said for SF and Berkeley. As someone who lives in West Oakland, I feel safe living here because I know what parts to avoid. I certainly can't speak for everyone else, but it's really irritating when people act like Oakland is on the same level of places like Baltimore, Detroit, St Louis, South Central LA, New Orleans, etc. It's nowhere even close.

In terms of the violence Oakland arguably is on the same level as those places, but not in terms of the economic depression. The only area of Oakland that makes me feel the same sense of depression that I do when I'm in certain parts of South Central LA is the Deep East... you can tell that it's a struggle just to even live there day to day.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:33 AM

24,934 posts, read 31,801,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
You're breaking ground here...
Yes, thank goodness the cool folks from Orange County continue to shower us with information about our own city that we never would have known. How lucky we are.

Old 12-03-2011, 02:05 PM

10,257 posts, read 13,430,587 times
Quote:
but it's really irritating when people act like Oakland is on the same level of places like Baltimore, Detroit, St Louis, South Central LA, New Orleans, etc. It's nowhere even close.
It IS on the same level of these places when it comes to violence. Just look at the top 10 list for most violent cities, Oakland is there with these cities with the exception of South Central LA since it's not an actual city. If you look at the stats on here it has an even worse crime rate than Compton. Of course not all of Oakland is bad though but it has a reputation for a reason. It's amusing on here on how some of the homers always try to down play the level and types of crime in Oakland that other cities simply don't see nearly as often. Considering how wealthy and educated the Bay Area is, it has quite a lot of crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland