Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2011, 04:25 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,497,612 times

Advertisements

Oakland toddler in rap video shooting dies…

Oakland toddler in rap video shooting dies - Yahoo! News

OAKLAND, Calif.(AP) — A 1-year-old boy who was shot in the head during the filming of a rap music video in Oakland was taken off life support Friday.

Hiram Lawrence, who would have turned 2 on Dec. 28, was pronounced dead at 3:05 p.m., the Rev. Roosevelt Taylor said.

The boy's family had held out hope that he would show some brain activity, but doctors at Children's Hospital Oakland concluded after multiple tests that he was brain dead from the injuries he suffered in the shooting last month.

Outside the hospital, the boy's mother, Brittany Houston called for an end to the city's violence.

"The shootings need to end. I shouldn't have to lose my baby to a gunshot," Houston said Friday while surrounded by Hiram's father, family and clergy members.

Houston showed off a tiny ink footprint of her son on her right forearm as a tribute.

"This is how I'm going to have to remember my baby because somebody wanted to start shooting," Houston said. "I've got to be strong for my baby. He fought for 11 days."

Last edited by jacobwilliam77; 12-10-2011 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 09:51 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,238,078 times
^Yeah, that's sad.

And in SF:

18-year-old found shot to death in Bayview | Staff report | Crime | San Francisco Examiner

That's sad too, but i guess only Oakland is worthy of scorn for some reason?

More crap from SF , over the past few days:

-Man shot in leg, robbed of cellphone in San Francisco | Mike Aldax | Law and Disorder | San Francisco Examiner
-Bandits rob Chinatown jewelry store | Rob Nagle | Law and Disorder | San Francisco Examiner
-San Francisco police release description of 24th Street sex assault suspect | Ari Burack | Law and Disorder | San Francisco Examiner
-Man slashed in face at Mission district bus stop | Rob Nagle | Law and Disorder | San Francisco Examiner
-Man stabbed in armpit after requesting peace and quiet | Rob Nagle | Law and Disorder | San Francisco Examiner
-Suspected BART copper thief arrested outside home | Andrea Koskey | Law and Disorder | San Francisco Examiner
-San Francisco cop doesn
-Two arrested for gun possession, parole violation | Rob Nagle | Law and Disorder | San Francisco Examiner
-Sixth MS-13 gang member sentenced to life in prison | Ari Burack | Law and Disorder | San Francisco Examiner

Where's the SF hate thread? Oh yeah, we've had them, but they're usually focused on hippies, or yuppies or complaints about girls or fashion, or "too many gays", or some crap. Gotta love how so many people base their criticism on stereotypes, whether it be for Oakland, or SF, or anywhere.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:35 AM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
^Yeah, that's sad.

Where's the SF hate thread? Oh yeah, we've had them, but they're usually focused on hippies, or yuppies or complaints about girls or fashion, or "too many gays", or some crap. Gotta love how so many people base their criticism on stereotypes, whether it be for Oakland, or SF, or anywhere.
I don't understand.
Why bring SF into this?

A one year old child was shot in the head. When did everyone become so de-sensitised? Personally I haven't been able to stop thinking about this since I heard about it. This and this alone should be the focus of this thread.
Stop arguing about which city is worse. Who cares? Its irrelevant and childish.

My heart goes out to this family and what they must be going through.

Old 12-11-2011, 12:06 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
Um because people constantly bash Oakland for being so violent, while the same crap happens 8 miles across the bay and the Chronicle never reports it?

I do agree with you though, it's a tragedy in its own right, and whether it happened in Oakland or not is pretty irrelevant.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:28 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,759,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobwilliam77 View Post
Oakland toddler in rap video shooting dies…

Oakland toddler in rap video shooting dies - Yahoo! News

OAKLAND, Calif.(AP) — A 1-year-old boy who was shot in the head during the filming of a rap music video in Oakland was taken off life support Friday.

Hiram Lawrence, who would have turned 2 on Dec. 28, was pronounced dead at 3:05 p.m., the Rev. Roosevelt Taylor said.

The boy's family had held out hope that he would show some brain activity, but doctors at Children's Hospital Oakland concluded after multiple tests that he was brain dead from the injuries he suffered in the shooting last month.

Outside the hospital, the boy's mother, Brittany Houston called for an end to the city's violence.

"The shootings need to end. I shouldn't have to lose my baby to a gunshot," Houston said Friday while surrounded by Hiram's father, family and clergy members.

Houston showed off a tiny ink footprint of her son on her right forearm as a tribute.

"This is how I'm going to have to remember my baby because somebody wanted to start shooting," Houston said. "I've got to be strong for my baby. He fought for 11 days."

... reading stuff like this is what makes me question whether there's a god... I say that as someone who goes to church.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:55 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
... reading stuff like this is what makes me question whether there's a god... I say that as someone who goes to church.
Bad things happen when dumb guys and guns are mixed.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:35 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
This will open a can of worms, but the blame mainly lies within a black community who largely refuses to take responsibility for its own actions. Hiram's father was quoted in the papers as saying he knew he'd fallen in with the wrong crowd, but that it wasn't his fault his son got shot. The mother of a young man who stabs a police officer with a screwdriver after exiting a stolen car outside of a high school dance he & his girlfriend are much too old to attend sues for wrongful death. It goes on and on, with innocent people gunned down all the time in Oakland and other Bay Area cities, yet people are only angry when a cop pulls the trigger.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:47 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,238,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentmum
I don't understand.
Why bring SF into this?

A one year old child was shot in the head.
Why bring SF into it? Because a lot of people for some reason feel the need to start "i hate Oakland" threads whenever they see a news story that scares or saddens them. It happens much less frequently for SF though, unless it's something like "i hate hippies"...basically that post of mine was a response to the constant Oakland bashing based on it's crime, when SF constantly gets a pass, even though it has the same things going on. Infants have been shot dead in San Francisco too you know, yet no one has ever made a thread titled "San Francisco...a violent dangerous city". I'm trying to stick up for Oakland here.

There's also the fact that this is the San Francisco Bay Area forum, not the "Oakland only" forum.

Speaking of SF, here's more crap from the past couple days (all of it ignored by SF's biggest newspaper, as usual, except for the homicide...this is the same newspaper that pays extra attention to the same stuff in Oakland):

Elderly Woman Killed In Bernal Heights: News: SFAppeal
Woman Shot During Geary Purse Snatching : News: SFAppeal
Police Seek Witnesses To Tenderloin Attack That Left Man Critically Injured: News: SFAppeal
SUV again used as weapon to settle score after late-night fight | Mike Aldax | Law and Disorder | San Francisco Examiner (http://www.sfexaminer.com/blogs/law-and-disorder/2011/12/suv-again-used-weapon-settle-score-after-late-night-fight - broken link)

Oakland deserves less hype for it's crime rates--or at least more hype for its nice areas/nice attributes--and SF deserves less ignorance of its crime rates, but the stereotypes continue. Maybe you would be less critical if you knew how often Oakland haters have trolled this forum over the past few years. If someone is willing to be scared of Oakland and bash it because it has bad crime in parts, they should be willing to do the same for it's bigger, better-known neighbor (in addition to MANY other American cities), or at least give due credit to Oakland's good side as well. Stereotypes are stupid, that's the point. It's probably pretty apparent that I'm kind of bitter about this.

Quote:
When did everyone become so de-sensitised? Personally I haven't been able to stop thinking about this since I heard about it. This and this alone should be the focus of this thread.
Knowing a few murder victims, having been robbed, having family members and friends who have been robbed, having heard gunshots, seeing multiple street corner shrines to murder victims, and having seen hundreds if not thousands of news articles about murders/shootings/stabbings/etc over the years, will probably desensitize you at least a little bit. Sad, but true.

And if the shooting of that child was supposed to be the only focus of this thread, than maybe the OP should not have titled the thread "Oakland...a violent dangerous city", and instead used a title like "child shot in Oakland".

And for the record, I don't think there are any big American cities that are truly violent or dangerous in total. Neighborhoods, most definitely, but not entire cities. Even places like Detroit, Baltimore, New Orleans, and St. Louis, have multiple nice, non-ghetto areas.

Quote:
Stop arguing about which city is worse. Who cares? Its irrelevant and childish.

My heart goes out to this family and what they must be going through.
I'm not arguing that SF is worse. I'm arguing that Oakland overall is not nearly as bad as many people think, and for comparison's sake, that SF overall is worse than many people think (Oakland still "wins" for overall bad stuff though, crime rates don't lie....too much...usually, lol).

And as I said before: this stuff all makes me sad too. No matter where it happens. I'm not trying to be obnoxious here, I'm trying to get some of the knee-jerk "Oakland is hell on earth" people (many of whom seem just fine hanging out in SF, which has similar crime going on) to think more critically about this stuff, so they can hopefully stop living in such fear of Oakland...though I guess that posting crime articles from different cities could always backfire, and they'll become scared of EVERYWHERE, lol.

Yeah, I see how these posts of mine can seem like an "irrelevant" d***-move to some people, such as yourself...but I'm not saying this stuff to you or the child's family, I'm saying it to a bunch of city-data posters who love their hyperbole and applying said hyperbole to Oakland. Some parts of Oakland are violent and dangerous, sure. But many other Oakland hoods, such as Dimond, Montclair, Glenview, Rockridge, Oakmore, Trestle Glen, etc, are not violent or dangerous.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:02 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentmum View Post
I don't understand.
Why bring SF into this?
This is the San Francisco forum...

Old 12-12-2011, 07:15 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,162,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
This will open a can of worms, but the blame mainly lies within a black community who largely refuses to take responsibility for its own actions. Hiram's father was quoted in the papers as saying he knew he'd fallen in with the wrong crowd, but that it wasn't his fault his son got shot. The mother of a young man who stabs a police officer with a screwdriver after exiting a stolen car outside of a high school dance he & his girlfriend are much too old to attend sues for wrongful death. It goes on and on, with innocent people gunned down all the time in Oakland and other Bay Area cities, yet people are only angry when a cop pulls the trigger.

Individuals are responsible for their own actions, not a community. A community is made up of individuals and is not a cohesive unit that thinks, walks, talks, acts, on its own.

Suggesting that the black community "take" responsibility for an individuals actions is like suggesting whites take responsibility for child molesters and wallstreet crooks. Or suggesting Muslims take responsibility for jihadists, or mexican americans take responsibility for illegals, or asian americans for sex parlors.

It doesn't make sense and is quite rhetorical..

50 people protesting police is not some sort of voice for the black community any more than 50 klansmen demonstrating at a courthouse is for whites..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland