U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 12-13-2011, 11:03 AM
 
1,027 posts, read 704,612 times
Reputation: 551

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
(backing away slowly ..... reassuring smile on my face) Nice Alexxis ..... good boy .... please don't bite me ....
If you need boys to bite you, this website is certainly not a place to look for it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-13-2011, 11:04 AM
 
1,027 posts, read 704,612 times
Reputation: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Can't get more retarded than posting links. Well they don't teach people to write in English anymore in schools
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2011, 12:37 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
1,467 posts, read 1,741,342 times
Reputation: 1497
Interesting that such a small, provincial city can spawn sixteen pages (and counting) based on the claim its overrated.

I have no illusions about the town. I know it has many faults that eat at me everyday as I travel from Parkside to my job downtown. Still, I don't want to live anywhere else. I was born and raised here and despite the massive changes during my life its home. Its an amazing city with a deep and interesting history that continues to evolve. I understand the main reason for a forum like this to exist is to discuss the different regions of the country and world, but I have never understood the need to create what is basically a troll thread bashing a particular city. I've traveled enough around the country and the world to not judge a place based on an occasional visit or the small sample of people you might meet during that visit. One of the fun parts of travel is to try to imagine life in different places and look for the interesting regional differences and appreciate them. I can find something I enjoy almost anywhere and as a nod to the O.P. of this thread I really like Fresno. I've noticed that generalizing and stereotyping are the characteristics of rather small unhappy people (who seem to be having a field day here).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2011, 12:44 PM
 
1,027 posts, read 704,612 times
Reputation: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
Interesting that such a small, provincial city can spawn sixteen pages (and counting) based on the claim its overrated.

I have no illusions about the town. I know it has many faults that eat at me everyday as I travel from Parkside to my job downtown. Still, I don't want to live anywhere else. I was born and raised here and despite the massive changes during my life its home. Its an amazing city with a deep and interesting history that continues to evolve. I understand the main reason for a forum like this to exist is to discuss the different regions of the country and world, but I have never understood the need to create what is basically a troll thread bashing a particular city. I've traveled enough around the country and the world to not judge a place based on an occasional visit or the small sample of people you might meet during that visit. One of the fun parts of travel is to try to imagine life in different places and look for the interesting regional differences and appreciate them. I can find something I enjoy almost anywhere and as a nod to the O.P. of this thread I really like Fresno. I've noticed that generalizing and stereotyping are the characteristics of rather small unhappy people (who seem to be having a field day here).
I posted in this thread because I made a mistake of going to school for computer science and find myself in situation that most jobs on the West Coast (I don't wish to live on the East Coast) are located in the disgusting yuppieland SF area... I'm working on getting out of here. So, the reason why I posted isn't because SF has any significance on any human level, or in arts, or just as a nice place to be, but because I found myself in the area due to a mistake of moving to Bay area, reading all the stupid hype about it and trying to believe it before, plus job opportunities. Disgusting place which will be getting more disgusting by the day (have you heard, the rents are rising right now (and social division is deepening), as tech boom is happening again?)
SF of the 60s, 70s, and 80s was a charming place, I'm sure, and I would like to have seen that.

As to Fresno.... LOL... I'm not going to say anything. No comment. And yes, you can judge a place based on a short visit. A good idea is to go to a couple of Starbucks locations (or other coffee shops) and sit there a little bit, observing the demographics... next, pay a visit to Walmart. Also, if you arrive to the city and your car gets broken in, it's probably not the right city.

There're cities in the world that are vampire cities--they suck resources from nearby areas (like SF is sucking water from destroyed Hetch Hetchy), they thrive off social inequality and exploitation--they can gain power, but their fate is destruction. The clear message over 100 years ago was not to build where it's built.

Last edited by alexxiz; 12-13-2011 at 01:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2011, 01:25 PM
Status: " All Shall Be Well; And All Manner of Things Shall Be Well" (set 13 days ago)
 
Location: Hunkering down atop Shasta
6,829 posts, read 6,549,894 times
Reputation: 5422
Can't you move to Boston, Alexxiz? There's lots of computer work and fellow Aspergers cases there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2011, 01:28 PM
 
1,027 posts, read 704,612 times
Reputation: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Can't you move to Boston, Alexxiz? There's lots of computer work and fellow Aspergers cases there.
You mean you had to move to Boston because of your Asperger? You see, the reason I wouldn't move there is I don't want to be around the likes of you, also people with 3000 posts apparently live on forums--it helps to walk outside once in a while and see the reality, life is waiting. I heard SF is good for people with schizophrenia and they love it there and even get city taxpayers to 100% subsidize their lives, so I understand all the hype here, why are you people moving to Boston... you can get all you need in SF indeed, and a nice cardboard home, at least it's not going to snow on you like in Boston

There're several types of people who defend this city:
-the "haves" who own RE there and are ruthless landlords ripping off tenants in that city, they're only happy when prices are rising, even though other natives who weren't born into home-owner families had to move the hell out of their beloved hometown. They don't care--because there's no any kind of community, just scattered cliques in SF.
-young and naive hipsters who're in a "big city" first time of their life and can feel soooo cool cause now they can wear skinny jeans and not get stares, willing to live with 10 other people in the same little apartment, and who think they'll never get sick, out of work and never end up being out of housing/homeless, because these things just can't ever happen and yet to understand that minimum wage coffee shop jobs won't get them through life
-gays--this is the only group I can understand that does have reasons to like the city for legitimate reasons, as many places outside are homphobic
-financial or tech bloodsucking yuppies, who can come, grab a piece, walk over someone's corpse on the street and continue playing

Last edited by alexxiz; 12-13-2011 at 01:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2011, 01:55 PM
 
1,027 posts, read 704,612 times
Reputation: 551
The funniest thing is to see people who're natives in SF to defend the status quo... the reality is that their children will not be able to enjoy their beloved city, even if it's spared by the earthquake. There's 6 billion people in the world and many of them want to live in coastal CA because of the mild climate and job opportunities--If you say you want or OK with ruthless capitalism and globalization like it is now--the smartest, the strongest, the most educated, the most ruthless, the toughest will come and will misplace YOU and yours--and you will have nothing to counteract it, because you're the weaker population, simply put. You don't have the numbers and educational system (neither you have natural resources) to compete. Truly, this place digs own grave (this can be said about entire United States at this point)

Last edited by alexxiz; 12-13-2011 at 02:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2011, 02:03 PM
 
9,976 posts, read 7,428,271 times
Reputation: 9193
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
I've noticed that generalizing and stereotyping are the characteristics of rather small unhappy people (who seem to be having a field day here).
Yes, and there's also a lot of borderline cases on here, drama queens who thrive on negative attention and causing conflict on the threads. People who might be unhappy because they feel they picked the wrong place to move to and instead of rationally looking for a solution to their own problems, they turn everything into an attack on where they live and blame their location for their own issues. They start to idealize some new location and demonize everything they can about the cities they've had bad times in.

Then again, they could just be misanthropic a**holes. That's understandable. Not naming anyone in particular or claiming that San Francisco is perfect by any means, but yeah, there's some real drama queens on here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2011, 04:37 PM
 
Location: LBC
3,194 posts, read 1,847,098 times
Reputation: 2355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Yes, and there's also a lot of borderline cases on here, drama queens who thrive on negative attention and causing conflict on the threads. People who might be unhappy because they feel they picked the wrong place to move to and instead of rationally looking for a solution to their own problems, they turn everything into an attack on where they live and blame their location for their own issues. They start to idealize some new location and demonize everything they can about the cities they've had bad times in.

Then again, they could just be misanthropic a**holes. That's understandable. Not naming anyone in particular or claiming that San Francisco is perfect by any means, but yeah, there's some real drama queens on here...
Your explanations are not mutually exclusive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2011, 04:54 PM
 
Location: Santa Monica, CA
1,291 posts, read 1,473,431 times
Reputation: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxiz View Post
I actually consider Tenderloin to be a better part of Frisco-town
Now I get the opening lyrics to Save Me San Francisco by Train.

I used to love Tenderloin
til I made some tender coin
then I met some ladies from Marin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:38 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top