U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2012, 02:55 AM

9,197 posts, read 12,568,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
To the poster who said SF "shows well compared to places like Houston," you said a mouthful, brother.
Might even show well compared to places like Fresno.

But shall we agree to can the talk about how SF is awful because it's not the first place one should consider breeding? It's like complaining about the lack of raging latenight nightclub action in Tracy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 02:19 PM

1,145 posts, read 1,880,848 times
In regards to cost of living. Switzerland and other places in Europe make San Francisco look like the Midwest.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:32 PM

674 posts, read 873,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
I'm certainly guilty of contributing to the "overrating" of San Francisco.

I'm not wealthy, but I enjoy a comfortable life here. "Magical" is not an overstatement to me. This city has powers to charm that few others in the world possess...and yes, I have done a good amount of traveling. I enjoy the quirky attitudes and outrageous politics. I like the sense of freedom here and the tolerant atmosphere. I don't have kids, but if I did, I would want to raise them in Marin County, rather than in the City. I agree it may not be a great place to raise kids, but it is a great place to show kids and I would want mine to have good access to the City and everything it offers. I would not be afraid to let my kids see a gay couple kissing or holding hands and am not sure why that would upset anyone else.

Every time I take a drink of cool clear water drawn from the Hetch Hetchy, or breathe the crisp, clean air, or have a fantastic meal, or take in a postcard view, or climb a steep hill as the fog pours over the top of it, or ride a cable car home from work as the sun sets, or strike up a conversation with an educated, opinionated person who actually enjoys being challenged, or leave my car parked for a week, or go to a game in our beautiful ballpark, or bum around North Beach as garlic wafts through the air, or picnic at Lands End with my wife, or drive across the Golden Gate Bridge as tourists gawk at the rolling fog, or walk down Polk on sunny Sundays, pausing at sports bars along the way to get updates on the game through open doors and windows, or try a new food truck at Off The Grid, or spend an afternoon at a neighborhood street fair, or attend a music festival, or even look out my office window at the skyline, bridges, mountains and sparkling bay, I realize what a distinct privilege it is to live in such a place.

To the poster who said SF "shows well compared to places like Houston," you said a mouthful, brother.
Man, you just "Get it" ! I love San Francisco. Miss it dearly. So much to see, and do, and love. I love that Sausalito is a boat ride away from SF. Love that Napa Valley is 45 minutes (or less) away. I love that SF is centrally located to so many amazing places in the world. A 2 hour drive to Lake Tahoe. SF has the best ballpark in baseball, why ? "Location, location location", can't beat the beauty surrounding that ballpark. Just too many great points to talk about.

As far as Fresno, my ex-wife is from an area called Madera, very close to Fresno, and when we visited her family, I wasn't a big fan of Fresno, though I adored the Mexican Food there, amazing Mexican Food.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:40 PM

14,601 posts, read 22,419,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttocs99 View Post
A 2 hour drive to Lake Tahoe.
From Sacramento maybe but certainly not SF or anywhere in the Bay Area. Tahoe is a minimum 3-4 hours away, and much longer on busy weekends.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:43 PM

26 posts, read 28,863 times
Looking at the pics make me miss SF bay area sooo much...I live in Asheville, NC now and though its beautiful here nothing compares to Yosemite..nothing. For now I'll raise my littles here in beautiful Asheville and visit Cali

Old 11-14-2012, 07:58 PM

2,433 posts, read 2,506,024 times
Quote:
San Francisco is a postcard beauty. On the street level it is one of the ugliest places in California, it's best viewed from a distance. I knew they had a Chinatown but wow! Can anyone say......homeless? Having a normal job like being a nurse must suck there due to the lack of natural reproduction. Oh, and your crime is outrageous. Some people like to do normal things in life.
Sounds like some jealousy to me. Why not instead of the denigration, just stay away, if it makes you feel better?

Old 11-14-2012, 08:24 PM

622 posts, read 855,610 times
Hate on haters. The more people who hate it the less will move here.

Can we please encourage more threads like this AND start agreeing with them?

Old 11-14-2012, 08:46 PM

8 posts, read 8,881 times
San Francisco is the worst city in California. SF is an east coast city on the west coast. It's cold, dirty and the people are extremely rude and aloof.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:33 PM

500 posts, read 877,799 times
OK, rkwalton, let me try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving SF View Post
San Francisco is the worst city in California.
Agree! It's pretty much the only city in California (lukewarm apologies to residents of LA, San Diego and Sacramento), and thus is the worst.

Quote:
SF is an east coast city on the west coast.
Agree again! Definitely has the East Coast vibe.

Quote:
It's cold, dirty ...
Yes, very true. Cold, especially in summer. The coldest by far in the continental US. Rather dirty in a few places.

Quote:
... and the people are extremely rude and aloof.
OK, have to disagree there, but it's just 1 out of 4!

Let me add one more - it's a horrible place if you are not super-rich and I personally don't know a single person who is. So, it's just a horrible place, period.

Did that sound convincing?

Old 11-14-2012, 11:09 PM

14,214 posts, read 13,728,668 times
To each his own, no point debating someone on their preference. It's not like debating whether or not capital punishment is an effective deterrent. I have traveled all over the US and been to many cities around the world and San Francisco is in my top 3, but that's just me. I assume I'm not alone considering the millions of tourist from all over the world and expensive real estate and rent. Once again, if someone hates San Francisco there is no reason to get upset at them. Just like when people talk negatively about Oakland, there is no reason to get upset about them. It all comes down to preference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland