U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 10:31 AM

5,986 posts, read 2,835,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
Seems like it has been hyped up so much that natives are annoyed people move there because of the hype, drive up rents, and then rant about how bad it is right before moving out. If people had a more realistic perception of it they wouldn't do that.
That's not really the point I was responding to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2016, 02:59 PM

1,271 posts, read 1,328,705 times
Agreed OP.

Place blows in all categories.

Old 11-06-2016, 07:25 AM

21 posts, read 12,793 times
the pop culture history alone is what makes SF legendary, let alone factoring in the current food scene, nature and progressive new ideas constantly coming out of the area.

Old 11-06-2016, 10:28 AM

4,654 posts, read 5,326,375 times
The pop culture that made SF so cool has eroded away. If you like tech bros and new money, SF is a pretty sweet playground, but don't come here expecting the summer of love or a booming art scene- most of those people fled to the East Bay, Portland, Seattle, Denver, and Austin.

Oakland is a throwback to what SF used to be, but even that's starting to go away since nobody can afford to live here anymore either.

Old 11-06-2016, 11:01 AM

1,744 posts, read 604,992 times
actually, if you were able to buy something- even your own apartment - in the 90s its pretty sweet- you stay- know all your neighbors, maybe even put some money down on a local bar on Haight st (like a coworker of mine did) to keep you busy after you retire (he's older than me)-
walk everywhere, a million tasty and cheap eats and local venues to see stuff and do, a huge park to run and walk your dog in-

SF is great - the beach, the redwoods, a million nooks and crannies to explore and enjoy, people-watching--

I loved my city- and no its not overrated.

Old 11-06-2016, 11:44 AM

4,654 posts, read 5,326,375 times
I was mainly talking about newcomers, hoping to find what left a long time ago. Yeah, there are people who've been here a while that still retain the SF spirit that made it so famous, but lots of those people are leaving and being replaced by people who would rather look at their phones all night at a bar or during dinner than try and have a meaningful conversation with a stranger. You must really live in a bubble if you don't think SF and the Bay Area have changed dramatically within the last 3-4 years. I've been here since late 2006, and it's not at all the same as it used to be.

Old 11-06-2016, 10:26 PM

1,744 posts, read 604,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I was mainly talking about newcomers, hoping to find what left a long time ago. Yeah, there are people who've been here a while that still retain the SF spirit that made it so famous, but lots of those people are leaving and being replaced by people who would rather look at their phones all night at a bar or during dinner than try and have a meaningful conversation with a stranger. You must really live in a bubble if you don't think SF and the Bay Area have changed dramatically within the last 3-4 years. I've been here since late 2006, and it's not at all the same as it used to be.

whats that saying, if you dip your hand in the river twice, its never the same handful of water...

Things are always changing, but if you look closely theres the same old bones.... theres old timers and the people and things that stay...
(My ex's side of the family have streets in SF named after them, and hey they can tell you how things have changed too)...
but its the force of nature that things change too- better or worse,

ironically I moved to Portland (o ad nauseum the cries around changing for the worse, the awful newcomers, et al) - its where my fiancé lives, and so my new home, and you know what - i like it- its not as comfy as SF was but it will be,
its the mutable nature of places that they change, ya gotta roll with it....

and I still think San Francisco is a great old city.

Old 11-06-2016, 11:00 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,518,996 times
This is another 'I Hate XYZ' thread that lives on and on and on - even though the original hater (the OP) hasn't logged on in over 2 years.

What a shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland