U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2011, 01:14 PM

9,973 posts, read 12,878,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
All I'm saying is it would be ALOT easier to explain to my small grandchildren a man/woman making out in public than a man/man doing it. And I've seen it several times. I make no judgements. Kids today are confused enough so I think Santa Cruz is a better idea.
Apparently you haven't been to Santa Cruz much...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 01:47 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,632,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
But SF is far from alone here. Banks own the majority of homes in many cities like Detroit, Chicago, Fresno and Cleveland.

Banks own MOST homes in some American cities - Bullion Bulls Canada - Bull Boards

As a whole, all of these cities I mentioned have lower median incomes and have higher crime rates than SF. I think the average American has come to find out owning a home has become a rigged game in America. This is the reason why over a million people have had their homes foreclosed in the past couple years. But residents in big cities not owning homes is definitely not limited to the rich cities like SF, Manhattan and DC as we can see here.

Middle class people are much more likely to be forced to live in the ghetto in cities like DC and Manhattan because wealth inequality is greater in both of these cities than SF. In fact, DC and the New York metro area have the highest income inequalities in America. Although DC is the most educated big city in America and DC has the highest average incomes of any big city, Southeast DC has the highest unemployment rate of anywhere in America and one out of five DC residents lives below the poverty line. The fact is that statistically there are literally tens of thousands of people who do make 25-30K a year and don't live anywhere near the bad neighborhoods in SF. The people making 25K a year in the Sunset in SF aren't ducking bullets and scared to walk down the street in their own neighborhood like they may be in Detroit, Cleveland or Chicago where most people also don't own homes and the crime rate is much higher.
You aren't reading the same stats I am .. I am talking about Census data .. and California ranks 3-4th in lowest homeownership rate .. you just mentioned the top 1-3 .. You are trying to make California look good by juxtaposing it against the worst top 1-3 .. It is far from alone at the top of the list of states w/ the worst homeownership rate.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfreez View Post
What's so hard to explain? "Those two men are making out because they find each other sexually attractive and they are probably in love" LOL

I would have loved to be in SF in the late 60s. Was struck by the irony of what I saw there a few years ago - ben and jerry's and a gap on the corner of haight & ashbury, if I remember correctly... But that's not to say there isn't a thriving scene somewhere else in the city that is less known. Anyway, it was good to see Sonic Youth play at the Fillmore, not all old things are dead.

A lot of European cities make caricatures out of themselves in this manner. Selling the "experience" ... But I don't get negative about it, a lot of people enjoy themselves so who am I to judge. I just know better than to expect well-made gyros in Athens.
I was struck by it too .. A lot of places in SF that people claim have so much 'history' do nothing but 'sell' it and the experience as you note.. In just 4 recent years, I have seen some soul leave SF.. I can't imagine what the longer term trend is .. No one is being negative about it .. They are being realistic about it in saying a lot of the stuff is overrated. I have friends visit all the time and several of them are able to 'see' through it ... A lot of people can tell when they are being 'sold' an experience ... Haight has turned into nothing more than a ride at disney full of headshops, people selling tie dye shirts, 'rare handmade rugs'... After you go through the 'explore' phase I've found a lot of things to be like wtvr.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:57 PM

3,985 posts, read 6,395,265 times
I always loved the scenic beauty of San Francisco but I never cared for the majority of the people that lived there.

GL2

Old 12-08-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Have ever been near Pacifica and walked around the hidden beaches, or seen the surfers and kayakers near and under the golden gate?

Have you ever walked your dog in Bernal Heights on the highest hills. Cycled the Marin Headlands area. Sailed the bay on a real sailboat, (not the ferry) from Sausalito to the Marina. Attended a wine party on Telegraph Hill on one of our rare 80 degree days.

I could do similar things in other cities --- but it's just not the same as doing them in SF.
Meh', could say the same thing about many things that can't be done in SF.. Those things are fun and great and all and I've done all but surf in the frigid waters under the bay bridge.... You move to a place .. many places have lots of things to do w/ beautiful unique scenery.. No one is knocking on how beautiful and unique the things you are mentioning are .. but many people are saying lots of places are beautiful and unique in their own regard..

So yes, SanFrancisco has a lot of unique and beautiful things to enjoy .. So does almost everywhere else..

I feel like a lot of people don't travel much w/ the way they Drool over SF.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:20 PM

258 posts, read 480,738 times
Those Images look like FLORIDA ......

Old 12-08-2011, 02:22 PM

3,786 posts, read 3,569,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
I was struck by it too .. A lot of places in SF that people claim have so much 'history' do nothing but 'sell' it and the experience as you note.. In just 4 recent years, I have seen some soul leave SF.. I can't imagine what the longer term trend is .. No one is being negative about it .. They are being realistic about it in saying a lot of the stuff is overrated. I have friends visit all the time and several of them are able to 'see' through it ... A lot of people can tell when they are being 'sold' an experience ... Haight has turned into nothing more than a ride at disney full of headshops, people selling tie dye shirts, 'rare handmade rugs'... After you go through the 'explore' phase I've found a lot of things to be like wtvr.
You just seem so negative.

What you are saying applies to practically every other city and place in the USA. I don't think SF's overrated compared to all the other cities that are "overrated".

Look for the good and little things that are "real" in SF.

There is a tiny home baked goods place on eddy between franklin and van ness. It's run by a middle-aged woman who bakes muffins, scones, turnovers, etc. early every morning. She sells-out of her goodies by 10am every morning. The locals on her block love her non-descript (non-gentrified) little hole in the wall place.

They talk local politics - "who actually voted for "Lee", cuz I didn't". It has character because she works hard and loves what she's doing, and the locals love her goodies and dedication. The place looks like grandmas 1950's kitchen.......and smells soo good too.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:37 PM

3,786 posts, read 3,569,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
No one is knocking on how beautiful and unique the things you are mentioning are .. but many people are saying lots of places are beautiful and unique in their own regard..
I'm pretty well-traveled so I know what you mean, but that still doesn't mean I can't love and or boast about SF.

I laugh at Bay Area snobs (and coastal snobs in general) because I know how provincial SF really can be, but I also know that everywhere else can be just as bad (or provincial). Some of the most traveled and worldly people live in places like elk grove, ca; and someone from nyc only knows his little tiny world from where he works to his apt and the subway ride in between....... and can not or does not want to participate in all that nyc has to offer.

Maybe if you actually enjoyed all that there is in SF. or just moved to a place where you can partake in it's attributes; You would not be so pre-occupied with other people's enthusiasm to the point where you create a thread like this.

Last edited by Chimérique; 12-08-2011 at 03:24 PM..

Old 12-08-2011, 02:59 PM

500 posts, read 867,098 times
Let me see if I can summarize some of the arguments seen in this thread.

If you don't live in SF, but liked it when you visited, you haven't seen any place else.
If you do live in SF and don't make good money, the place must suck for you and others like you.
If you do live in SF and do make good money, you are destroying its culture and the very neighborhood you chose to live in.
If you live in SF and don't have kids, you are destroying the city for the families and good people who lived there before you.
If you live in the city and do have kids, you are scarring them for life.

In general, if you live in the city, you are a fool who's paying too much for the privilege of destroying things for others.

Did I miss anything?

Old 12-08-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Kurtz View Post
Those Images look like FLORIDA ......
They are.. and in some ways, I'm glad a lot of people don't know about these places... Keeps them pristine, Keeps prices down, and keeps out all of the clowns who read 'what's hot this year in the world' and flood places w/ hot money... Keeps things affordable for the avg. bloke .. Keeps diversity up .. Traffic down... and keeps things chill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland