U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 12:32 PM

30,802 posts, read 49,206,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
The vibe along the 680 corridor is much more like OC than the peninsula.
Most definitely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 12:50 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,390,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
The vibe along the 680 corridor is much more like OC than the peninsula.
What vibe are you referring to? Just curious, as I never got the OC impression from there.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:59 PM

5,242 posts, read 10,466,568 times
San Jose in particular really feels like the OC--lots of highways, tract homes, apartment complexes, malls, office parks, etc, both areas were built up around the same time in the 60's and 70's and thereafter. I haven't seen much of the OC but I'd say at least areas like Fullerton and Santa Ana/Costa Mesa are pretty similar to suburban San Jose. I haven't been to Brea though so I wouldn't know how it compares to anything up here. Los Gatos also might work for an upscale area up in the hills.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:02 PM

109 posts, read 240,856 times
No place on the peninsula reminds me of Yorba Linda/Brea/Anaheim Hills. the homes in Palo Alto and surrounding communities are too old and quaint to belong in OC. 680 corridor bears a much, much closer resemblence in homes, climate, politics, shopping, etc.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:00 PM

4,654 posts, read 5,326,375 times
I wish people would stop calling it The OC. It's either Orange County or OC. The OC was a horrible TV show on Fox...

And as far as comparing OC and the Tri-Valley, I guess it just comes from the experience of spending lots of time in Orange County when I used to live in San Diego, coupled with spending lots of time in the Tri-Valley since I lived there for about 6 months. I dunno, it always just felt like the Bay meets SoCal. The weather, the wealth (think new money), the suburbia and cookie-cutter planned-community type of living; it just seemed really similar to me. Feel free to disagree, but that's just how I felt.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:49 PM

5,242 posts, read 10,466,568 times
That's how we do it in the OC!

They call the entire Bay Area "San Fran" and talk about "the BART," they deserve it. :P

Old 12-08-2011, 07:49 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,390,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
San Jose in particular really feels like the OC--lots of highways, tract homes, apartment complexes, malls, office parks, etc, both areas were built up around the same time in the 60's and 70's and thereafter. I haven't seen much of the OC but I'd say at least areas like Fullerton and Santa Ana/Costa Mesa are pretty similar to suburban San Jose. I haven't been to Brea though so I wouldn't know how it compares to anything up here. Los Gatos also might work for an upscale area up in the hills.

Yeah, I agree. And Brea is pretty similar to Fullerton.

Other people seem to think the peninsula is quaint, which it is mostly, but it also has its share of tract developments and strip malls. Take Santa Clara for instance.

To be fair, I think Pleasanton is a lot like Irvine, CA which is southern OC.

What the OP is looking for is something like Northern OC which I think part of the peninsula resemble more. Brea, Fullerton, that area actually has less tract homes than Southern OC. There are actually some pretty "quaint" neighborhoods in Brea and Fullerton. Also, it sounds like the OP wants access to amenities like restaurants and shopping like North OC has plenty of in suburban-type form. Well, to me, Pleasanton and the 680 corridor doesn't offer much in the way of shopping and entertainment.

But yes, in terms of conservatism alone the 680 matches OC more.

But I don't think that all of the peninsula is that lacking in conservatism. They are highly against the CA high speed rail after all.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:17 PM

12,825 posts, read 17,583,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
Yeah, I agree. And Brea is pretty similar to Fullerton.

Other people seem to think the peninsula is quaint, which it is mostly, but it also has its share of tract developments and strip malls. Take Santa Clara for instance.

To be fair, I think Pleasanton is a lot like Irvine, CA which is southern OC.

What the OP is looking for is something like Northern OC which I think part of the peninsula resemble more. Brea, Fullerton, that area actually has less tract homes than Southern OC. There are actually some pretty "quaint" neighborhoods in Brea and Fullerton. Also, it sounds like the OP wants access to amenities like restaurants and shopping like North OC has plenty of in suburban-type form. Well, to me, Pleasanton and the 680 corridor doesn't offer much in the way of shopping and entertainment.

But yes, in terms of conservatism alone the 680 matches OC more.

But I don't think that all of the peninsula is that lacking in conservatism. They are highly against the CA high speed rail after all.
The Peninsula is more like West LA, PV and the Hollywood Hills.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:03 AM

10 posts, read 17,553 times
The 680 corridor is probably the most similar to OC imo. The gated communites in Alamo/Blackhawk/Danville/San Ramon similar to Coto de Caza, the Irvine feel of Dublin/Pleasanton, Fremont and the 680 side of San Jose reminds me of Garden Grove/Anaheim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland