U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2011, 12:53 AM

21 posts, read 33,288 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately I'm going to have to stay temporarily at a res. hotel in the Mission. the hotel itself seems alright (young university students, artists, etc.), but it's on a side street off of 16th, between Mission and Valencia...in fact its about half way between the two streets. I'm aware of the crime and violence that occurs on Mission and that I'm right on the cusp of it. Any ideas on how to avoid that station/direction? I work at 5th and Market so I could potentially take the BART to work from that station and be there in just a few minutes but I'm willing to take the bus from another street further West of Mission if its possible. Also, does anyone have any advice about staying in this area? I will be living with my boyfriend, so shouldn't be on my own too much at night, though I worry also for his safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 08:52 AM

330 posts, read 562,314 times
I suppose you could walk directly west on 16th until you get to Church, where you could hop on the J and take it to the Powell station. But that seems like going pretty far out of your way considering how close you are to the 16th & Mission station.

There's a lot of shady characters at the 16th & Mission station, sure, but if you are going during normal commuting hours, I think you'll be totally fine. There's plenty of younger women that use that station all the time. If using that station freaks you out, you might want to seriously consider finding a different place to stay. Because 16th between Mission and Valencia is no picnic, either. The BART station plaza extends about a quarter of the block itself. So if you are halfway between, you are literally only about 100-200 ft away from the station. The same riff-raff that is at the station is also going to be right outside your door. I would say you'd have to get to about Guerrero before it "feels safer", if that makes sense....

Hope that helps, not trying to freak you out, just letting you know what to expect.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:36 AM

5,243 posts, read 10,042,254 times
It's not that bad if you're just going to the station, just walk to the stairs and go in. There's always a ton of people going in and out of the station, it's not some deserted area where goons stand around preying on young women. And literally as soon as you're five feet west of the station on 16th street it already feels like a different neighborhood. Plus the area around the station isn't as bad as it used to be, there's always a lot of goofy people sitting around by the station exits but a few years ago there were hundreds of people just sort of milling around, lots of junkies and dealers. Now it's just kinda people who look like they might or might not be homeless.

Just deal with the Mission experience and ride BART, you'll get used to it. Riding BART within SF is 1000% times better than Muni. During normal commute hours you'll be fine, past 6pm walk with someone else if it makes you feel safer. Mainly just avoid Mission itself between 16th and 18th, that is the worst part of the whole area.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:59 PM

11,898 posts, read 16,279,058 times
Chose your exit wisely and you'll be fine.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:24 PM

64 posts, read 177,086 times
Totally agree. I was intimidated by this station when I first moved here, but now I'm used to the homeless people and junkies. They mainly keep to themselves and there are always lots of other people around. I wouldn't worry about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
It's not that bad if you're just going to the station, just walk to the stairs and go in. There's always a ton of people going in and out of the station, it's not some deserted area where goons stand around preying on young women. And literally as soon as you're five feet west of the station on 16th street it already feels like a different neighborhood. Plus the area around the station isn't as bad as it used to be, there's always a lot of goofy people sitting around by the station exits but a few years ago there were hundreds of people just sort of milling around, lots of junkies and dealers. Now it's just kinda people who look like they might or might not be homeless.

Just deal with the Mission experience and ride BART, you'll get used to it. Riding BART within SF is 1000% times better than Muni. During normal commute hours you'll be fine, past 6pm walk with someone else if it makes you feel safer. Mainly just avoid Mission itself between 16th and 18th, that is the worst part of the whole area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland