Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 10:52 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
So in other words, 19% are "something else" then.

I wasn't aware that racial/cultural diversity strictly meant black or Mexican. So someone from Egypt, Germany or South Africa doesn't really count?
Not really. What race is someone from Germany?

Any government form will show you what racial diversity is when you check the box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 02:35 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:

I wasn't aware that racial/cultural diversity strictly meant black or Mexican. So someone from Egypt, Germany or South Africa doesn't really count?
When the number 1 and number 2 "ethnic groups" are black or latino (Mexican in CA) the lack of presence is telling. Especially when our state is 50% non-white, and the largest ethnic groups are black and "hispanic."

And based on the definitions of our census ethnic groups, a "white" guy from South Africa is going to check white, and an Egyptian will also check white, as will someone from Afghanistan, Iran or Iraq. The "black" person from South Africa will be confused, because the form says African-American, and the people checking the box aren't from Africa.

Old 12-11-2011, 04:11 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,568 posts, read 81,147,605 times
The OP clarified in the question ethnic, socio-economic, and political diversity.

You won't find any of those in Lamorinda where home prices and rent are high, with the median family income close to $200,000. Political views are more diverse, as is typical in affluent areas leaning toward Republican with a distinct switch to Democrat at the Caldecott tunnel, but a higher than average percentage of independent voters.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:28 PM

77 posts, read 316,892 times
I grew up in Lamorinda and although it's not very racially diverse, there are all types of people from different backgrounds. The schools have cliques, but any school has those. I teach now in a local school and I am happy to see that students are for the most part very friendly to each other.
Most families are wealthy, but open minded and friendly.

I'd say that people here lean much more to the left. If you want a lot of ethnic and economic diversity, though, you won't find it here.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:52 PM

358 posts, read 1,037,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poochini View Post
For example, we love Berkeley as a community and I think we liked certain areas of Oakland too. But from what I read, we'd be doing our kids a great disservice by moving to those districts... I know that Berkeley High has a reputation "from jail to Yale," and on the other end, schools like Piedmont, I have heard, are very cliquey and exclusivist.
This is funny and as a Berkeley resident with a school-aged child, only mildly insulting. We chose to live in Berkeley and send our child to the schools here and don't feel we've done him a disservice at all.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:26 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,769 times
Quote:

Don't shoot the messanger, I was just reporting what I found. Seems like a pretty typical mostly white suburban school to me. Doesn't bother me one way or the other, but if the Op is looking for diverse schools, she won't find them in that neck of the woods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland