U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-10-2011, 07:10 PM
 
Location: RSM
5,113 posts, read 16,350,279 times
Reputation: 1875

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Honestly, this crowd doesn't really care about basketball. This isn't really a "you'll build it and they will come sort of thing.

The NBA is very optimistic, is they think suddenly the tech crowd is going to show up in a new arena. The Warriors will never have "Staples North" because the Bay Area doesn't really care about pro sports. Typical Silicon Valley types are more into playing (something else) than watching.
I wouldn't say the Bay Area doesn't care about pro sports. The Sharks have a rabid fanbase and draw a capacity crowd every home game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-10-2011, 07:18 PM
 
Location: San Leandro
4,577 posts, read 7,193,082 times
Reputation: 3248
Worst basketball team ever.

I remember when I first moved to California, my dad took me to see the Bulls play the warriors. The whole arena was rooting for the Bulls. Heh. Real group of die hards there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2011, 07:31 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
25,165 posts, read 25,182,554 times
Reputation: 23018
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
I wouldn't say the Bay Area doesn't care about pro sports. The Sharks have a rabid fanbase and draw a capacity crowd every home game.
Sure, but those Hockey fans would follow the sharks if they played in Redwood City, San Francisco or where ever else. They aren't just going to the games because they live in San Jose, and the team is in San Jose.

I have my doubts that a shiny new arena in SF will suddenly draw a ton of fans because it is in SF, when something shiny and new would draw fans as long as it is in a reasonably convenient location. If the Silicon Valley people really wanted to sponsor an NBA box, they could, but I doubt location has any more than 10 or 20% of a factor in their decision.

I don't think corporate entertaining in a luxury suite is very important to Bay Area business.

Pro sports isn't ingrained in our culture or entertainment here, to make it some mass market draw. Vs let's say the Lakers in LA, where everyone one talks about the last game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2011, 11:43 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
14,596 posts, read 22,410,851 times
Reputation: 8050
The Warriors already have realy good attendance considering how bad they are. A new arena would attract more fans but it isn't gonna be that much of a difference imo. The big difference will be the TYPES OF FANS it will attract, aka one's with much deeper pockets than currently attend. The revenue per seat would go way up and that is the main reason they would build in SF. Warriors games are pretty damn cheap to go to now and it's easy to get tickets, that wouldn't be the case if they were in SF.

The Warriors do have die hard fans too, they are very loud and loyal for such a crappy team. As much as I hate to say it, they are more passionate than Lakers fans. If you move them to SF they probably wouldn't be as rowdy and die hard though, they'll be more like fans at Giants games, going just because it's something to do and to be seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2011, 09:17 PM
 
Location: Oakland CA
286 posts, read 346,134 times
Reputation: 166
No offence but i own a start up gaming company based in Oakland and deal very heavily with Silicon Valley based companies and i can assure most of the top people of these companies and their clients really don't care about sports AT ALL. if they did their sponsorship numbers would be much higher. Tech companies with the notable exception of EA and 2k don't sponsor or care about sports teams mostly because a majority of their employees have never set foot on any sort of sport field except for maybe a graduation ceremony and could care less about any major team. Go to a tech company anywhere in the country and find 20 employees that can name a player or team name of their local pro sports team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2011, 12:31 AM
 
Location: Boulder Creek, CA
9,197 posts, read 12,564,349 times
Reputation: 6275
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Pro sports isn't ingrained in our culture or entertainment here, to make it some mass market draw. Vs let's say the Lakers in LA, where everyone one talks about the last game.
The numbers at the Giants victory parade alone would put this into dispute, not to mention their attendance.

Lots of people talk about the Niners on Mondays at all kinds of workplaces, especially now that they're winning (yeah, there are a lot of bandwagon fans around the Bay Area as well).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2011, 12:59 AM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
25,165 posts, read 25,182,554 times
Reputation: 23018
[quote=bigdumbgod;22081770]The numbers at the Giants victory parade alone would put this into dispute, not to mention their attendance. {/quote]
I'd call those people fair weather fans. Everyone joins a winner's party.

Quote:
Lots of people talk about the Niners on Mondays at all kinds of workplaces, especially now that they're winning (yeah, there are a lot of bandwagon fans around the Bay Area as well).
Its a big a metro area, there are enough people to support a team, but i think on a per capita basis, people in the Bay care less than other metros. Moving the teams around isn't going to suddenly sway people who weren't interested or casual fans to suddenly go on a regular basis because it is closer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2011, 01:21 AM
 
Location: Boulder Creek, CA
9,197 posts, read 12,564,349 times
Reputation: 6275
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
on a per capita basis, people in the Bay care less than other metros.
Probably because so many of them are from somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2011, 10:27 AM
rah
 
Location: Oakland
3,315 posts, read 7,501,827 times
Reputation: 2464
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
If you move them to SF they probably wouldn't be as rowdy and die hard though, they'll be more like fans at Giants games, going just because it's something to do and to be seen.
And why exactly do you say this? What makes you think there are no rowdy, die hard warriors fans in SF? What makes you think die hard fans from elsewhere would be less rowdy in SF than in Oakland? And what makes you think all people in SF go to sporting events just because it's something "to do" and "to be seen"?

And why do you feel an arena in SF would suddenly attract way more "deep pocket fans"? These deep pocket fans never go to Oakland, or live in Oakland/the east bay themselves, according to you? Is there a sign on the Bay Bridge that says "no rich people allowed"?

Honestly, you sound like you don't really know what you're talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
An arena near AT&T doesn't just sell out, it brings SF/Marin socialites courtside. Wouldn't you rather see basketball with Sean Penn and Phil Bronstein in attendance? We all would, right?
And here's more strange thinking along the same lines.

So you believe that most SF/Marin socialite and celebrity Warriors fans would NEVER go to Oakland? Sean Penn was riding around New Orleans in a boat, armed with a shotgun, after Hurricane Katrina. I think he can handle going to Oakland to watch a Warriors game. Candlestick park is in the middle of the ghetto in SF, and that doesn't stop some very rich people from going there regularly.

I'll admit there is a little truth in what you guys are saying, seeing as Marin is closer to SF than Oakland, and snooty rich people are generally more accepting of SF than Oakland, and an arena in SF would undoubtedly bring in at least a few more fans...but I have a feeling the fan base/attendance would stay mostly the same, seeing as Oakland and SF are right next to each other. It's almost as if some of you think there's an invisible wall between SF and Oakland or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2011, 11:49 AM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
25,165 posts, read 25,182,554 times
Reputation: 23018
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
I'll admit there is a little truth in what you guys are saying, seeing as Marin is closer to SF than Oakland, and snooty rich people are generally more accepting of SF than Oakland, and an arena in SF would undoubtedly bring in at least a few more fans...but I have a feeling the fan base/attendance would stay mostly the same, seeing as Oakland and SF are right next to each other. It's almost as if some of you think there's an invisible wall between SF and Oakland or something.
Exactly, there might be a few different fans, but the over all population will be largely the same. If you really wanted to get to the basketball game, you would make an effort to get there. The Coliseum is pretty easy to get to from most of the Bay Area. These so called "deep pockets" are likely to not bother to go en masse, if they aren't already, even if the Arena moves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top