U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 06:40 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,307 posts, read 10,959,518 times

Advertisements

I think in SF it's best to get garaged parking with an attendant. In all the coastal cities there are problems with thieves, in the Left Coast there are eco-vandals who think there shouldn't be any motorized vehicles, and then I think that out in the suburbs you have to pay attention to which side of the street you are parking on, SF changes that (I think daily) for cleaning purposes.

You can look up some prices for parking by entering PARKING NEAR FRANCISCO into Google Maps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 11:35 AM

165 posts, read 408,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I think in SF it's best to get garaged parking with an attendant. In all the coastal cities there are problems with thieves, in the Left Coast there are eco-vandals who think there shouldn't be any motorized vehicles, and then I think that out in the suburbs you have to pay attention to which side of the street you are parking on, SF changes that (I think daily) for cleaning purposes.

You can look up some prices for parking by entering PARKING NEAR FRANCISCO into Google Maps.
Yea that helped. Unfortunately the monthly parking rates are higher than I'd like to pay. Another downside of owning a car I suppose lol

Old 12-25-2011, 09:57 AM

1,791 posts, read 2,933,352 times
This is a very accurate summary, although Dublin and London have much more in common with Seattle's climate than any of those three citiees does with San Francisco. SF, despite its perpetual 60-degree temps, has a Mediterranean climate. Seattle, Dublin, and London can all get SOME snow in the winter, and even ice, with temps WELL below freezing. It also rains many more days throughout the year. SF is not a rainy city, but it's plagued by "fog" (more like high sea fog, not low ground fog like London), wind, and cool.

Of course, you could live in the South Bay and get 300 days of sunshine and warm weather most of the year, but it's not much different culturally than Atlanta, just more expensive, and you'll see palm trees. Not sure that's worth the move!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Here is grapico the weather man with a different perspective.

Weather in both is not that great to me, neither are "warm" places, they are mild and can often be kind of gloomy, esp if you are coming from sunny and Hotlanta. Now, the rest of the Bay Area has adequate weather particularly the east bay and south bay. The north bay gets particularly cold/rainy for extended periods Nov-March, and often has flooding.

Also, I think you'd eventually want a car, I don't see a point of living out in the Bay Area with so many amenities and not having a car... You'd probably want it, it isn't New York where the urban build up and PT is tremendous. And on the flip side in your case, I'm not sure the Bay Area is worth it for a cross country move if you are going to not live in San Francisco proper. Catch 22.

But if you are considering living in the actual city, the weather isn't that great. Some people do like the cool year round climate though. I prefer to get hot and sunny weather. Chicago gets cold also (SF never does), but it also gets the hot / sunny, which is my favorite part. Sorry, but living in Silicon Valley is not the same as living in SF.. nor is driving out of the city to experience some warm weather. As a city person (and you seem like you'd enjoy the city OP), these are not options. Neither SF or Seattle really have that IMO, both places are too CHILLY and gloomy for my tastes. Note I didn't say COLD, I said chilly. Nothing against the cities, the climates of London and Dublin are also a turn off. But if you are thinking it is going to be West Coast warm, these cities are NOT LA / San Diego, expect to have a jacket virtually year round at night in either, the WARMEST night temps in either city is STILL around 55 degrees, and that is in Summer (June/July) seattle ... or Indian Summer (August/September) in SF. It can feel much cooler with the wind coming off the water and the fog on your skin. West coasters transplanted from SoCal complaining about the weather in SF/Seattle wouldn't be an anomaly by any means.

Humid cold *feels* colder than dry cold. Summer nights in Atlanta are 70+, and 60+ for late spring/early fall. Just something to consider as you'll be going to work or going out at night in this... 70 as a HIGH in SF in mid summer is actually quite rare to non existent, and summer also happens to be the foggiest month of all. Average high in june/july/august is only 68... Highs in the low 70s for (71/72) only get that way on average 2 months of the year (Sep/Oct). Highs in the 70s for Seattle, albeit 3 degrees warmer @ 75/75, only get this way 2 months of the year also in July August. The best weather of the respective cities are these 2 in both cases. And if it is in the 60s as a high, personally I'm in long sleeves/light jacket at minimum. Chicago in NYC in contrast for instance both have 5 months which peak over 70s, with 3 of those peaking in the 80s. SF even in it's hottest month feels like NYC in May or early October. I don't like the super cold either, but not having ANY warm weather is a worse option for many people (including myself) It definitely changes up the night life scene compared to warmer weather.

All that being said, I prefer both places to Atlanta as an actual city, though I'd only visit at this point, but you seemed concerned with the weather (which is truly a valid concern) ... so, there is some information for somebody else who grew up in a climate quite similar to Atlanta and my thoughts on it.

Old 12-25-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Amen to that. When we first moved here last Autumn from Colorado, we were laughing at the people bundled up in wool caps, scarves, coats and gloves. Then, a couple months into the winter we realized that the damp cold seeps into your bones and makes you feel colder than you expect.
The only thing is, the Bay Area has lower humidities than most parts of the country (maybe not Colorado, although I'm sure the inland areas do). The air isn't really damp but dry most of the time. Personally, I think people are just showing off. I feel MUCH colder in Chicago when it's 35 degrees than in SF when it's 55.

Old 12-25-2011, 10:05 AM

I hear of car break-ins too, but spraypainting is not something I"ve heard about. There are SO many cars in SF that it would be impossible for anti-car types to even consider that sort of worthless activity. It would be like people in Manhattan going up against cabs.

As for segregation, SF is not that segregated, although there are ethnic "neighborhoods." But the city is so dense, they're all on top of each other. Outisde of the city, those ethnic neighborhoods are more segregated in the sense that you won't necessarily be in them unless you have a reason to. You'll see lots of different types of people at places like major shopping malls, where everyone comes from all over. But it's just as segregated as any other region of California.

Old 12-25-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
This is a very accurate summary, although Dublin and London have much more in common with Seattle's climate than any of those three citiees does with San Francisco. SF, despite its perpetual 60-degree temps, has a Mediterranean climate. Seattle, Dublin, and London can all get SOME snow in the winter, and even ice, with temps WELL below freezing. It also rains many more days throughout the year. SF is not a rainy city, but it's plagued by "fog" (more like high sea fog, not low ground fog like London), wind, and cool.

Of course, you could live in the South Bay and get 300 days of sunshine and warm weather most of the year, but it's not much different culturally than Atlanta, just more expensive, and you'll see palm trees. Not sure that's worth the move!
This is something I was trying to avoid. I mean Atlanta isn't bad, but I wanted a bit more forward/progressive city. I read a bit about San Jose and they seem to really have their green agenda in perspective, way more than Atlanta ever will.

What I don't think I'll like is not being able to save as much money as I am now by moving to either the South Bay or SF, but I really don't want to stay in Atlanta any longer. Kind of a side question but...how in the world do people living in SF save money?

I know the average US citizen only saves 6% of their anual income (which is nothing), but considering SF has sky-high rentals and the average salary is around $70k (which is somewhat less than what I make) is saving any money a thing people consider? I'm not really a fan of being one paycheck away from homelessness lol

Old 12-25-2011, 12:05 PM

622 posts, read 843,867 times
Dude, I just visited Seattle a few times. This last time it was for vacation only (before it was for law school job interviews and a bit of running around, but not much). I love that city, but it gets dark EARLY there. The person I stayed with was loosing her mind and daylight savings had just ended too. She's a transplant who has lived there for a few years but is moving back home. I'd love Seattle but for that. For me, the cost of living a bit further south, but with a lot more sun is worth it. I'll just continue to visit Portland and Seattle.

Anyway, you don't have to live in Palo Alto. Maybe just don't live in the Presidio district of the city if you're going to commute. Take the 280. I didn't work in Palo Alto back in the day but when I lived in the city I'd sometimes have to drive down to Redwood City to teach (I was a sub in their district). I ALWAYS took the 280, broke the speed limit (I don't recommend that you do that) and got to my assignments on time. It's about 15 to 20 minutes more to Palo Alto. There is also CalTrain depending on whether or not your job would have a shuttle or if there was some other type of transport.

Old 12-25-2011, 12:09 PM

4,527 posts, read 8,241,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyte3k View Post
I tend to keep anything of value out of my car, or at least out of sight. We've had a recent rash where about 3 dozen vehicles were broken into in one night, and the other day a car was broken into outside my condo in an area which is supposedly one of the nicer areas of Atlanta.

I was just interested in knowing how random it occurs.
When I worked in San Francisco earlier this year, I walked every day from 4th and King (Caltrain) to Potrero Hill. Most of the walk was along King Street, passing in front of the Art Academy, underneath the Freeway, and going towards the Design District. Every week I saw different cars along this route with smashed in windows. Any type of car or truck was victim. I never saw the actual breakins occur during commute hours, so I presume it happened late at night or vehicles left parked overnight.

Also in that area there are lots of homeless people with really nice bicycles. Presumably stolen ones. In fact, one afternoon my coworkers and I were walking to lunch and we passed three street people on the sidewalk who were in the process of cutting the security chain on a bicycle that was chained up. They didn't make any effort to hide what they were doing nor did they pay us any attention when we walked past.

Old 12-25-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
When I worked in San Francisco earlier this year, I walked every day from 4th and King (Caltrain) to Potrero Hill. Most of the walk was along King Street, passing in front of the Art Academy, underneath the Freeway, and going towards the Design District. Every week I saw different cars along this route with smashed in windows. Any type of car or truck was victim. I never saw the actual breakins occur during commute hours, so I presume it happened late at night or vehicles left parked overnight.

Also in that area there are lots of homeless people with really nice bicycles. Presumably stolen ones. In fact, one afternoon my coworkers and I were walking to lunch and we passed three street people on the sidewalk who were in the process of cutting the security chain on a bicycle that was chained up. They didn't make any effort to hide what they were doing nor did they pay us any attention when we walked past.
heh, seems like every form of transportion is an issue... I guess except walking, but maybe someone would steal your shoes too. lol

Old 12-25-2011, 12:19 PM

4,527 posts, read 8,241,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyte3k View Post
heh, seems like every form of transportion is an issue... I guess except walking, but maybe someone would steal your shoes too. lol
yeah it's funny seeing a scrungy, unkempt homeless guy on a $700 bike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland