U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 02:13 PM

165 posts, read 410,414 times

Advertisements

I've noticed the apartments around Lake Merced Park seem to be cheaper. Is there anything wrong with this area? High crime? No parking? Horrible weather? Away from everything?

I also wanted to know if scooters are a popular choice of transportation? No one seems to speak of that much, but It seems like it would be a good replacement for a car assuming scooter thefts aren't common.

Last edited by nyte3k; 12-25-2011 at 02:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2011, 08:58 PM

622 posts, read 856,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyte3k View Post
I've noticed the apartments around Lake Merced Park seem to be cheaper. Is there anything wrong with this area? High crime? No parking? Horrible weather? Away from everything?

I also wanted to know if scooters are a popular choice of transportation? No one seems to speak of that much, but It seems like it would be a good replacement for a car assuming scooter thefts aren't common.
You're not going to be able to take a scooter over the bridges. Scooters were popular in L.A. where I went to college, but I rarely see them in San Francisco or anywhere in the Bay Area. I think it might be because they'd only be useful for local trips but with all the bridges and tunnels around here you wouldn't even be able to use one to get from Oakland to Orinda unless you choose to take the winding roads through the hills.

As for Lake Merced, I've no clue. The only thing I can say is distance. I was thinking about looking for a place in the Sunset, but decided it was a bit too far out. However, I'll save that for someone else.

Old 12-27-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwalton View Post
You're not going to be able to take a scooter over the bridges. Scooters were popular in L.A. where I went to college, but I rarely see them in San Francisco or anywhere in the Bay Area. I think it might be because they'd only be useful for local trips but with all the bridges and tunnels around here you wouldn't even be able to use one to get from Oakland to Orinda unless you choose to take the winding roads through the hills.

As for Lake Merced, I've no clue. The only thing I can say is distance. I was thinking about looking for a place in the Sunset, but decided it was a bit too far out. However, I'll save that for someone else.
That makes sense...I was just thinking that scooters were used locally to avoid paying Bart all the time, and to avoid the massive hills if you were to cycle.

At least it's not hot/humid in SF while cycling uphill like it is here.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:16 PM

4,527 posts, read 8,336,934 times
Quote:
I also wanted to know if scooters are a popular choice of transportation?
There is a large scooter parking lot by the 4th and King Caltrain station. I used to walk by there on my commute and there are fair numbers of people disembarking or getting on scooters during commuting hours.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:49 AM

314 posts, read 331,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
When I worked in San Francisco earlier this year, I walked every day from 4th and King (Caltrain) to Potrero Hill. Most of the walk was along King Street, passing in front of the Art Academy, underneath the Freeway, and going towards the Design District. Every week I saw different cars along this route with smashed in windows. Any type of car or truck was victim. I never saw the actual breakins occur during commute hours, so I presume it happened late at night or vehicles left parked overnight.
You were walking through a formerly industrial, currently transitioning area that has been had a history of a lot of homeless and UNDER a freeway - so yeah, an area like that in any major city is going to have car break-in problems.

Don't listen to this guy - I lived in SF for 7 years and we never had any car break-in problems like some of the paranoiacs here are claiming. Most areas of SF you won't have a problem. Its in the transitioning areas that used to be more commercial/industrial where a lot of developers threw up cookie-cutter condos over the last 2 boom cycles where the problems are more concentrated. You are on the right track with some of the neighborhood you mentioned (Cole Valley, Inner Sunset, Marina). Of the 3, the Marina will be the sunniest.

Also, as to weather - ignore the gloomsayers. Yes, SF is famous for its fog - but as a marine layer fog, it rolls in and out on a daily basis very consistently - just like the tides. There are roughly two foggy seasons - summer from early July through early September, and then again in winter where it combines with rain. Fog rolls in early morning so you wake up to it. But then it breaks and rolls out by afternoon. Or you get the reverse and you'll wake up to clear skies and the fog slowly rolls in in the afternoon - and its low and moves like water, avoiding the hills. The SF Chronicle has an animated fog map on its website so you can see how the day's fog will be. SF has a percentage of sunshine (% of time between sunrise and sunset that sun reaches the ground) of 66%. In Atlanta, its 60%. In Seattle - 47%. Its no contest between SF and Seattle. At. All.

But more importantly, it doesn't last all day like the rain/gloom in Seattle (where I currently live). And its concentrated on the West side of town. The East side, which includes downtown as well as many of the more dense residential neighborhoods - gets a lot less fog. Sometimes, the Richmond district near the ocean will be fogged in completely, and downtown will be completely blue skies and sunny. The Mission District often avoids fog entirely - with Dolores Park in the Mission being packed with sun seekers. SF is a City of microclimates - different neighborhoods can have different temp & fog conditions - and since the City is very compact (they call it the 7x7 - 7 miles by 7 miles square), its very easy to get from one area to another. Feeling fogged in outside your door on a Sunday morning? No problem - shoot over to the Mission in under 20 minutes on the bus or subway for some burritos and sunshine. And for long stretches in autumn and spring, in the whole city, there not only is no fog and no rain, but not a single cloud in the sky.

Does it rain - yes. You get major storms during the rainy season - with maybe one major storm in November, a usually dry December/January and then rains Feb to late March/early April that are downpours - but they come in waves, and rarely last more than a few days at a strech. Then you get several days of clear blue skies and temps in the mid-50s. Then another storm rolls in a week or two later. You get a few months of that, and then its over. Of the 7 years I lived there, we only had one year where the rainy season lasted more than a few months. (it was winter 2006, if I recall). And once rainy season is over in April, its OVER. You won't get a single drop of rain until the following November. Its actually a bit freaky. And unlike Seattle, it never snows. It never even gets close to freezing. During the winter, I probably turned my heat on at most a dozen times. As in - turn on heat for a few hours, then turn off. I'm not kidding.

As for your other questions, if you are considering the start-up route in the tech industry, I'd stick to SF/SJ area - SV is ground zero and the size and scope of the industry - from VC to access to a deep talent pool to a culture that idolizes the entrepreneur - you won't find anything like it anywhere else. Somewhere right now some geek in SV is starting the next Facebook in the middle of an all-nighter code marathon while half of Seattle is still asleep in bed. The flipside is that it can be a bit intense - you will be one of MANY fishes in the pond pursuing a start-up dream. Most will fail - a few will succeed. But failure in the SV tech industry isn't punished - rather the opposite - its respected. Its those who never try in the first place who are considered the also-rans. Again, like the weather, its actually a bit freaky.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
That makes sense...I was just thinking that scooters were used locally to avoid paying Bart all the time, and to avoid the massive hills if you were to cycle.

At least it's not hot/humid in SF while cycling uphill like it is here.
People use scooters a lot INTRA-city - that is, within City limits. But since SF is on a peninsula, they aren't much use getting out of the City via bridge or tunnel.

As for Lake Merced - you are probably looking at the Park Merced apartment complex. Its a huge apartment complex built by NY Met Life in the early 40s - its one of the largest garden style planned communities in the country. Parkmerced, San Francisco - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rents are reasonable-ish there, but the current owners are also just getting started on a massive redevelopment of the complex which will include demolishing all the existing low-rises and building new, more expensive, mid-rises.

The biggest problem - not just with ParkMerced, but the Lake Merced area in general - is that its the a$$-frak out of the way. Its way out on the outer edge of the west side of town and poorly served by mass transit. Its a good area if you have a car and need to commute south. Its bad if you want to live in a vibrant urban area. Its a safe area, but also pretty boring and almost entirely residential.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlueInSeattle View Post
You were walking through a formerly industrial, currently transitioning area that has been had a history of a lot of homeless and UNDER a freeway - so yeah, an area like that in any major city is going to have car break-in problems.

Don't listen to this guy - I lived in SF for 7 years and we never had any car break-in problems like some of the paranoiacs here are claiming. Most areas of SF you won't have a problem. Its in the transitioning areas that used to be more commercial/industrial where a lot of developers threw up cookie-cutter condos over the last 2 boom cycles where the problems are more concentrated. You are on the right track with some of the neighborhood you mentioned (Cole Valley, Inner Sunset, Marina). Of the 3, the Marina will be the sunniest.

Also, as to weather - ignore the gloomsayers. Yes, SF is famous for its fog - but as a marine layer fog, it rolls in and out on a daily basis very consistently - just like the tides. There are roughly two foggy seasons - summer from early July through early September, and then again in winter where it combines with rain. Fog rolls in early morning so you wake up to it. But then it breaks and rolls out by afternoon. Or you get the reverse and you'll wake up to clear skies and the fog slowly rolls in in the afternoon - and its low and moves like water, avoiding the hills. The SF Chronicle has an animated fog map on its website so you can see how the day's fog will be. SF has a percentage of sunshine (% of time between sunrise and sunset that sun reaches the ground) of 66%. In Atlanta, its 60%. In Seattle - 47%. Its no contest between SF and Seattle. At. All.

But more importantly, it doesn't last all day like the rain/gloom in Seattle (where I currently live). And its concentrated on the West side of town. The East side, which includes downtown as well as many of the more dense residential neighborhoods - gets a lot less fog. Sometimes, the Richmond district near the ocean will be fogged in completely, and downtown will be completely blue skies and sunny. The Mission District often avoids fog entirely - with Dolores Park in the Mission being packed with sun seekers. SF is a City of microclimates - different neighborhoods can have different temp & fog conditions - and since the City is very compact (they call it the 7x7 - 7 miles by 7 miles square), its very easy to get from one area to another. Feeling fogged in outside your door on a Sunday morning? No problem - shoot over to the Mission in under 20 minutes on the bus or subway for some burritos and sunshine. And for long stretches in autumn and spring, in the whole city, there not only is no fog and no rain, but not a single cloud in the sky.

Does it rain - yes. You get major storms during the rainy season - with maybe one major storm in November, a usually dry December/January and then rains Feb to late March/early April that are downpours - but they come in waves, and rarely last more than a few days at a strech. Then you get several days of clear blue skies and temps in the mid-50s. Then another storm rolls in a week or two later. You get a few months of that, and then its over. Of the 7 years I lived there, we only had one year where the rainy season lasted more than a few months. (it was winter 2006, if I recall). And once rainy season is over in April, its OVER. You won't get a single drop of rain until the following November. Its actually a bit freaky. And unlike Seattle, it never snows. It never even gets close to freezing. During the winter, I probably turned my heat on at most a dozen times. As in - turn on heat for a few hours, then turn off. I'm not kidding.

As for your other questions, if you are considering the start-up route in the tech industry, I'd stick to SF/SJ area - SV is ground zero and the size and scope of the industry - from VC to access to a deep talent pool to a culture that idolizes the entrepreneur - you won't find anything like it anywhere else. Somewhere right now some geek in SV is starting the next Facebook in the middle of an all-nighter code marathon while half of Seattle is still asleep in bed. The flipside is that it can be a bit intense - you will be one of MANY fishes in the pond pursuing a start-up dream. Most will fail - a few will succeed. But failure in the SV tech industry isn't punished - rather the opposite - its respected. Its those who never try in the first place who are considered the also-rans. Again, like the weather, its actually a bit freaky.
Thanks for the detailed info! Yea, it's interesting that SF actually gets more sunshine vs Atlanta didn't expect that.

And If i'm correct, a major transitioning/bad area currently to avoid would be the Tenderloin area I'm guessing.

And as for the startup scene, I do plan on having a job/money lined up before throwing it all into this. And I've done a few startups in the past with medium success so I'm prepared to fail again.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlueInSeattle View Post
People use scooters a lot INTRA-city - that is, within City limits. But since SF is on a peninsula, they aren't much use getting out of the City via bridge or tunnel.

As for Lake Merced - you are probably looking at the Park Merced apartment complex. Its a huge apartment complex built by NY Met Life in the early 40s - its one of the largest garden style planned communities in the country. Parkmerced, San Francisco - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rents are reasonable-ish there, but the current owners are also just getting started on a massive redevelopment of the complex which will include demolishing all the existing low-rises and building new, more expensive, mid-rises.

The biggest problem - not just with ParkMerced, but the Lake Merced area in general - is that its the a$$-frak out of the way. Its way out on the outer edge of the west side of town and poorly served by mass transit. Its a good area if you have a car and need to commute south. Its bad if you want to live in a vibrant urban area. Its a safe area, but also pretty boring and almost entirely residential.
Yea, I've noticed how far that area is, and have kind of scratched that off my list. Right now I think I either want to try the Sunset, Richmond, Cole Valley areas, and If I wanted to spend more money, I would look at Russian Hill as well.

I'm also torn between living in the city or outside the city (north bay...Sonoma county (even though I know that's a huge area to mention)) in a somewhat cosmopolitan rural-ish area(if that even makes sense) where I could purchase a small plot of land build a small house and have a small farm/garden. Yea I know, this is leaps and bounds opposite from actually living in SF, but my gf(especially) and I also wouldn't mind some land as well. But more than likely we would do that after a year or so in the heart.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Yea, I've noticed how far that area is, and have kind of scratched that off my list. Right now I think I either want to try the Sunset, Richmond, Cole Valley areas, and If I wanted to spend more money, I would look at Russian Hill as well.

I'm also torn between living in the city or outside the city (north bay...Sonoma county (even though I know that's a huge area to mention)) in a somewhat cosmopolitan rural-ish area(if that even makes sense) where I could purchase a small plot of land build a small house and have a small farm/garden. Yea I know, this is leaps and bounds opposite from actually living in SF, but my gf(especially) and I also wouldn't mind some land as well. But more than likely we would do that after a year or so in the heart.
If you are going to be working in South Bay area (most likely if you are in the tech industry) - or in SF, you won't want to be living in Sonoma. You only live in Sonoma is you are working Sonoma. The drive during commute from Sonoma to SF can take up to 2 hours - and if you are working in South Bay, that's more like a 3 hour drive. Furthest north you'd want to go would be Marin County - and you won't find any cheap land there that is anywhere in reasonable distance from SF - quite the opposite.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed info! Yea, it's interesting that SF actually gets more sunshine vs Atlanta didn't expect that.

And If i'm correct, a major transitioning/bad area currently to avoid would be the Tenderloin area I'm guessing.

And as for the startup scene, I do plan on having a job/money lined up before throwing it all into this. And I've done a few startups in the past with medium success so I'm prepared to fail again.
I used to work in the Tenderloin - its not a transitioning area. Its just a bad area as far as crime and QOL. Its been the vice district of San Francisco for generations. High rates of homelessness, street drug dealing, prostitution, public defecation, assaults, etc. It is, quite literally, Skid Row.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland