U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-15-2011, 10:27 AM
 
19 posts, read 71,146 times
Reputation: 13

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwalton View Post
Unless your garage has open entry for the folks who do this, I think you'll be fine. People don't seem to actually steal the cars. They go in to steal something they see in the car.
I don't think it is that difficult to get into any of the gated garages I have seen in San Francisco...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-15-2011, 11:21 AM
 
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
4,527 posts, read 8,249,634 times
Reputation: 2116
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbFab View Post
So I should expect broken windows if I keep my car in a garage?
No, breakins usually occur overnight on the street. People smash the windows so they can take your stereo, backpack, whatever else you have inside. If you keep your car garaged you won't have a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2011, 12:08 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
622 posts, read 845,030 times
Reputation: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbFab View Post
I don't think it is that difficult to get into any of the gated garages I have seen in San Francisco...
That reply started off with some sarcasm.

If you park in a garage you'll be fine. At one point, I parked my car in a nearby lot that was outside and it was fine there too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2011, 12:58 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
24,986 posts, read 24,786,498 times
Reputation: 22728
The problem is that is good to have a car when you leave the City. Not so much for traveling around the city. So you'll need to do the math to see if you use your car enough to make it worth the hassle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2011, 04:00 PM
 
19 posts, read 71,146 times
Reputation: 13
I figure I will only use the car on the weekends and possibly to go grocery shopping during the week. I am hoping that it wont be a hassle if I am able to find a garage to store it in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2011, 04:18 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
24,986 posts, read 24,786,498 times
Reputation: 22728
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbFab View Post
I figure I will only use the car on the weekends and possibly to go grocery shopping during the week. I am hoping that it wont be a hassle if I am able to find a garage to store it in.
If weekends means weekends outside of SF. Areas with nightlife generally have limited parking in SF, so your mileage may vary. You'll probably find it is less annoying to take a cab or whatever to the bar/club/etc than trying to drive and park. Especially if you decide to go to the Mission or Hayes Valley or the Marina or the Haight where parking is really constrained. SOMA, outside of baseball season, is fairly easy to park in. Parking is generally $20 a night, and even the meters continue into late in the evening in many areas. Meters range from $3-$4 an hour, and private lots are about the same or more in the evening. It is probably cheaper/less annoying to take a cab by default.

I live in the east bay. 85% of the time my friends and I take transit in SF, even when there are 4-5 of us to save on hassle. The other 15% of the time, we take a full car to get somewhere, even though we all live around 5 miles apart (or more) to save on annoyance and hassle. Otherwise, you start lying about your dinner reservation time to give everyone 30 minutes to find a parking spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2011, 05:13 PM
 
Location: South Korea
5,242 posts, read 10,475,355 times
Reputation: 2915
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbFab View Post
I figure I will only use the car on the weekends and possibly to go grocery shopping during the week. I am hoping that it wont be a hassle if I am able to find a garage to store it in.
Honestly if you don't need it every day for transit and just want to be able to go to Target in Colma or drive to Napa for the weekend etc, I would look into Zipcar or the other car services around here. Having an expensive car here isn't really as much of a status symbol as other places and will only get you so far when you're trying to impress people. You'd save yourself so much time and money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2011, 03:16 PM
 
19 posts, read 71,146 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
If weekends means weekends outside of SF. Areas with nightlife generally have limited parking in SF, so your mileage may vary. You'll probably find it is less annoying to take a cab or whatever to the bar/club/etc than trying to drive and park. Especially if you decide to go to the Mission or Hayes Valley or the Marina or the Haight where parking is really constrained. SOMA, outside of baseball season, is fairly easy to park in. Parking is generally $20 a night, and even the meters continue into late in the evening in many areas. Meters range from $3-$4 an hour, and private lots are about the same or more in the evening. It is probably cheaper/less annoying to take a cab by default.

I live in the east bay. 85% of the time my friends and I take transit in SF, even when there are 4-5 of us to save on hassle. The other 15% of the time, we take a full car to get somewhere, even though we all live around 5 miles apart (or more) to save on annoyance and hassle. Otherwise, you start lying about your dinner reservation time to give everyone 30 minutes to find a parking spot.
I am not planning on using the car to go out to dinner or to clubs within the city. I want to use it for leaving the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Honestly if you don't need it every day for transit and just want to be able to go to Target in Colma or drive to Napa for the weekend etc, I would look into Zipcar or the other car services around here. Having an expensive car here isn't really as much of a status symbol as other places and will only get you so far when you're trying to impress people. You'd save yourself so much time and money.
I like going on road trips and I like driving my car. I missed it when I did not have it so while it might not make sense financially I would like to give it a shot. If I never use it then I will sell it and get something cheaper. I don't think I could impress too many people with my car anywhere in the United States. I am not really sure what would make San Francisco so much different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top