Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 05:57 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwalton View Post
Not to be flip, but that's called full coverage insurance with a low deductible. I had two Hondas when I live in San Francisco and they'd get broken into yearly. A window got smashed and I'd just take it somewhere in SOMA and got it replaced. It's part of the deal if you must have a car.
Yes, when I worked in San Francisco earlier this year, I saw on a weekly basis at least one or two cars with smashed windows along my walk from the 4th and King Caltrain station to Potrero Hill. That's different cars each week - not the same two cars!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 06:43 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
If it is going to bother you to see random dents, scratches, and broken windows on your car, do not attempt to drive and park on the street in SF overnight. Private garages are vary rare. If this isn't a problem for you, live in SF. But if you are parking on the street, budget for a few parking tickets/etc when you forget about street sweeping day.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:24 PM

35 posts, read 151,587 times
Live near your work (including Nob Hill and places like that) and ditch the car. The money you save on car insurance and other associated costs can go towards rentals and taxis.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:47 PM

506 posts, read 1,154,208 times
Seriously, what NJudah said. I just moved here from Chicago and I'm astonished at how horrible the traffic is. Get yourself a bicycle, instead!

Old 12-14-2011, 10:35 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJudah View Post
Live near your work (including Nob Hill and places like that) and ditch the car. The money you save on car insurance and other associated costs can go towards rentals and taxis.
Plus there are Zipcars whenever you need to use one

Old 12-15-2011, 09:53 AM

19 posts, read 79,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwalton View Post
Not to be flip, but that's called full coverage insurance with a low deductible. I had two Hondas when I live in San Francisco and they'd get broken into yearly. A window got smashed and I'd just take it somewhere in SOMA and got it replaced. It's part of the deal if you must have a car.
So I should expect broken windows if I keep my car in a garage? I have no intention of putting it on the street.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJudah View Post
I don't like not having a car and while I did not need it when I live on Nob Hill I wanted it and I should be able to afford both.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Should be able to get a 1 bedroom in SF for about 1500 to 1800, or a studio for about 1200 and up. It is definitely hard to park in most of SF though, unless you're way out by the beach. I'd check out Berkeley and Oakland too.
Is that really accurate? Where in SF is a nice 1 bedroom $1800? How do I find those sort of deals.? I paid $1500 for a 600sqft studio on Nob Hill and I though that was a find...although everything in the apartment was brand new.

I only have a little over a week to find and move into a place once I get into the bay area.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:24 AM

622 posts, read 1,145,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbFab View Post
So I should expect broken windows if I keep my car in a garage? I have no intention of putting it on the street.
Unless your garage has open entry for the folks who do this, I think you'll be fine. People don't seem to actually steal the cars. They go in to steal something they see in the car.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:27 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,074,702 times
Depends on what you mean by "nice." Should be able to find something basic in a nice neighborhood for around 1500 to 1800, though stuff like dishwashers and washer/driers are VERY rare in apartments in SF.

Apartments in SF for $1800 and under:

SF bay area apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

There's a lot of them, but prices are definitely going up especially in SF. Nob Hill might be out of your reach because it's an in demand area. Again if you think you can't do SF, do Oakland or Berkeley, they are way cheaper and while prices are going up they aren't going up as fast as in SF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland