U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 05:59 PM

57 posts, read 205,750 times

Advertisements

mdwstrnkid, thanks, Im looking at Lower Pac Heights now...we are crunching numbers, and could swing $3500
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 06:37 PM

801 posts, read 1,920,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syborg View Post
mdwstrnkid, thanks, Im looking at Lower Pac Heights now...we are crunching numbers, and could swing $3500
That's what we are actually paying now. We live in a modern 1300+ sq ft 2BR/2BA with W/D, granite kitchen, garage parking, and outdoor patio. We love the neighborhood and are planning to stay there as long for a while.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:54 PM

2,171 posts, read 4,053,946 times
Quote:
I dont want my wife taking the bus or train...she isnt thrilled about that idea. Ill sacrifice what I can in this deal.
Even if you drive her to work in Laurel Heights,she will still have to take the bus home. Also Laurel Heights is not an easy neighborhood to park in.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:12 PM

311 posts, read 787,430 times
Your wife is going to have to get over her iffyness about taking public transportation. Considering your guys' situation, it is all very inefficient in terms of where you both work. Completely in opposite directions. I would recommend anything near a BART or Caltrain. Her commute won't be as bad if she's anywhere in the city, but for you it's pretty bad all around. So I suggest you are near one of those stations or your mornings and evenings will be hellish. Trust me, just commuting from Laurel Heights/Inner Richmond where I live to the FInancial District is quite an annoyance, esp. at rush hour.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:35 PM

57 posts, read 205,750 times
Now thinking, love close to SF Caltain station, so i can take the baby bullet to PA (40-60 min?), wife can drop me off at the station and park at her work (~$150 a month) Are there neighborhoods I can key in on when searching for rental homes near this station?

Old 12-15-2011, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Now thinking, love close to SF Caltain station, so i can take the baby bullet to PA (40-60 min?), wife can drop me off at the station and park at her work (~$150 a month) Are there neighborhoods I can key in on when searching for rental homes near this station?
Is your workplace near Caltrain in Palo Alto? If not, it might be a pain to get to the office. The buses that go by the Palo Alto Caltrain status run much less frequently than buses in the city. Also, note that it will take her at least 20 minutes to go from the 4th and King Caltrain station to Laurel Heights during the morning commute and perhaps longer during the evening hours. I recall one evening earlier this year where it took me 40 minutes to get from the 6th and King off-ramp (near the Caltrain station) to the 3rd and Market intersection due to a horrible backup on the Bay Bridge that backed up traffic onto the surface streets.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:09 AM

Quote:
OK, was also thinking...live close enough to LH, so I can drop my wife off, park the car at her work ($150 a month) and I take the train to PA...would that be a painful train ride everyday? Are we talking about Getting out the house door by 6AM in order to get to work (PA) by 8? or even earlier?
Just saw this question. If you are out the door by 6am from your home in Laurel Heights, you should be able to get to Palo Alto by 7am, unless there is an accident or something like that (well, at least the way that I drive ).

Old 12-15-2011, 12:41 AM

5,242 posts, read 10,475,355 times
Quote:
Dogpatch and Potrero Hill are basically next to or near the 22nd Street Station which I believe all the baby bullet express trains stop at. They are expensive neighborhoods now because of all the techie Caltrain commuters but at a budget of $2500+ it might work. The 4th and King terminus station is next to the ballpark in the eastern part of the South of Market area. Around it is a lot of new condos which I'm sure are nice to live in but might be too expensive for your budget range. The rest of South of Market is more affordable but not as nice as Potrero Hill, and the further west you get from the Caltrain station the longer it would take to get to the station obviously.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:40 AM

35 posts, read 135,042 times
That's a nightmare combination.

Either you and the wife are going to have to get over the we're above the bus thing (keep in mind on many routes it's a commuter thing and not as ghetto as in some other cities) or you guys will never really warm up to SF proper anyway unless you dramatically increase your income.

What is the Laurel Heights work parking situation? I agree with the recommendations regarding the western or southern parts of the city and being near a freeway.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:42 AM

506 posts, read 890,933 times
I'm curious about your wife's objection to mass transit. Depending on the reasons, S.F. may not work for her at all. IMO, this is not a city to live in if she can't handle dealing with people from all walks of life. I mean, you could probably manage it, but she'd be staying inside or in a few tiny neighborhoods and missing out on 90% of the city. Might as well live somewhere cheap if you're going to do that.

OTOH, if she just gets motion sickness when someone else is driving, never mind -- fair enough. Those Muni busses can be pretty rough rides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland