U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-17-2009, 06:48 PM

393 posts, read 805,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernCalifornia View Post
SF looks great but is really a lousy city in terms of social interaction.
Yeah, I do agree. Alot of SF people seem to be bitter at something. I dont know what it is. But hey, I just call it like I see it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 04:44 PM

128 posts, read 182,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancaisDeutsch View Post
That's probably true to some extent. I've traveled all over the world, and one thing I can you tell is this: New Yorkers, rude or not, are very inclusive. Everyone just talks to everyone. That's just not the case in cities like SF. New Yorkerd just seems to accept everyone on the surface. It's truly just a real mixture of people all coming together. Rich, poor, black, white, Catholic, Jewish...it's all good...or so it seems. LOL.
San Francisco is ironically the city of tolerance, but it's anything but, in my opinon. I hope that doesn't offend anyone, but...

I know this thread is old, but I did not want to start a new thread on the same subject. Just adding 2 cents here.
My husband and I may be relocating soon from San Diego to the Chicago area if he's hired for a new position at All State. I am finding through some research that intolerance and clique-ishness are abundant in every larger U.S. cities. No news there right? But the cities with these supposed reputaitons for being friendly, tolerant, and liberal minded are looking to be anything but!
I have now heard many people say that there's a reserved cliqueyness, even a rudeness about Chicagoans. They supposedly will take it to extremes and are exclusive of their own suburbs and neighboring midwest states. I hear much of the same about San Francisco that they are somehow above other areas of California.
It beckons the question. Does being "liberal" mean more tolerant or is just more tolerant within a certain clique? I see some hypocrisy there.

Meanwhile, New York and Philidelphia were very surprising to our family upon a visit two years back. Both of those cities are very friendly and outgoing just about everywhere we went. Maybe I am wrong, but aren't east coasters supposed to be these rude jerks?

Old 08-20-2009, 07:03 PM

313 posts, read 443,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernCalifornia View Post
SF looks great but is really a lousy city in terms of social interaction.
So true SF Natives are not known for their and don't have strength of character it's a femine personality/culture here. I grew up less than a mile away from some family members and did'nt even know it until years and I mean years later.I've heard this before so it's not just me noticing this but family members will turn on you here ( no concept of loyalty) I think the people here get away with it is because it's so subtle it takes time to really see/understand these characteristics , just some insight.

Last edited by d-iron; 08-20-2009 at 07:46 PM..

Old 08-21-2009, 01:53 AM

517 posts, read 714,337 times
You think it's over rated but you have never been ? That's a bit jumping the gun don't you think?

Old 08-21-2009, 03:22 AM

24,610 posts, read 30,009,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee510 View Post
You think it's over rated but you have never been ?
welcome to c-d

Old 08-21-2009, 08:55 AM

101 posts, read 57,561 times
I think this loyalty is a big problem everywhere in this country.

I agree with what's been said since my last post, but I can say that NYC is slightly different when it comes to "tolerance." You just see more people of very different walks of life communicating on a daily basis with seeming less tension. You just don't see that as much as in other cities. As we all know, NYC is a crazy place and I am by no means trying to brag it up.

Last edited by FrancaisDeutsch; 08-21-2009 at 09:27 AM..

Old 08-21-2009, 09:41 AM

37 posts, read 45,382 times
Had to be a chicagoan who started the thread...

inferiority complex...

Old 08-21-2009, 11:32 AM

937 posts, read 1,181,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancaisDeutsch View Post
That's probably true to some extent. I've traveled all over the world, and one thing I can you tell is this: New Yorkers, rude or not, are very inclusive. Everyone just talks to everyone. That's just not the case in cities like SF. New Yorkerd just seems to accept everyone on the surface. It's truly just a real mixture of people all coming together. Rich, poor, black, white, Catholic, Jewish...it's all good...or so it seems. LOL.

San Francisco is ironically the city of tolerance, but it's anything but, in my opinon. I hope that doesn't offend anyone, but...

I've heard that from quite a few people. Very interesting observation.
I agree. SF is a really pretentious city, lots of pretenders, fakes etc. In that environment where people aren't trying to be their real selves, opens itself up to intolerant behavior. I've always hated the hypocritical Bay Area liberalism.

New yorkers would be "considered" rude in SF, because in reality they are just confident (or over-confident). That's the culture there. I wouldn't mind living in New York at all. They're my type of people. Same with the south.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:59 PM

313 posts, read 443,505 times
"I think this loyalty is a big problem everywhere in this country".

True, but I was speaking of family, here's an example a family member of mine was on their death bed and a close relative was living there ends up they staright up moved out and away! True story, pretty heartless the SF culture is strange that way that's one reason I'm straight up moving

Old 08-21-2009, 03:45 PM

94 posts, read 130,836 times
I've lived in LA my whole life. I live in Santa Rosa now. I've been to SF many times since the move.

LA vs. SF:

To live in? SF.

To go and visit to be entertained? For food? For ANYTHING aside from living? LA. In a heart beat.

The fact of the matter is that SF IS highly overrated. It's a great place to live, I'm sure, as it's extremely cultured... but that's it. It's a good place to live. Oh you have a movie theatre and bars for entertainment in SF? Hmm, so does everyone else. Not to mention almost everyone in that city is so pretentious. Ugh. "WE'RE BETTER THAN YOU BECAUSE WE'RE 'LIBERAL'." (btw, SFians, learn the definition of liberal already as it is not "to be a pretentious doucehbag who cares more about APPEARING compassionate than doing actual compassionate deeds")

All I can say is when I go to LA, I don't fear OTHER WHITE PEOPLE thinking that I MAY BE RACIST BECAUSE I'M WHITE. HMMMMM....

As far as I can see, SF resident aren't really any more tolerant than the rest of the country. They just happen to be heavier supporters of affirmative action... which isn't the same as tolerance.

Edit: To be honest I wouldn't live in either of them as I'm not a huge city person, but if I had to choose between the two to live NEXT TO, LA, DEFINITELY. I'm only not living down there because 1) cost, and 2) my boyfriend is also a huge hippie and has a negative perception of LA (almost totally unjustified too, as it is mostly based on perceptions shoved into his brain when he was young, LOL) and thus refuses to live there. And my relationship with him is great, so...

Last edited by Wendy97; 08-21-2009 at 04:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland