U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 01:33 AM

17 posts, read 35,717 times

Advertisements

Maybe they should make H visas harder to get, like the O ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 08:42 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,873,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isebiel View Post
Aha, I finally read the actual article. For wanna-be entrepreneurs, not people looking for jobs. That makes sense. I couldn't see how it would help ordinary workers.

Still, someone founding a startup is eventually going to need a real visa. I don't know how that is going to work.

Apparently you and I are the only people who've actually read the article

Old 12-20-2011, 08:46 AM

16,444 posts, read 17,160,751 times
Just out of curiosity, how do you make a torpedo?

Old 12-20-2011, 09:56 AM

5,242 posts, read 10,466,568 times
"Entrepreneur" sounds like codespeak for "underpaid tech workers from Chennai" to me.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:06 PM

12,825 posts, read 17,578,044 times
Anyone who is a serious investor / entrepreneur, and has real seed money, would have no trouble getting a biz visa, unless they have a criminal record, are a hostile operative, or are on a list of embargoed individuals.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:23 PM

9,197 posts, read 12,414,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Just out of curiosity, how do you make a torpedo?
Enter training program at Subway, Togo's, or Quizno's.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:37 PM

5,242 posts, read 10,466,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Anyone who is a serious investor / entrepreneur, and has real seed money, would have no trouble getting a biz visa, unless they have a criminal record, are a hostile operative, or are on a list of embargoed individuals.
Dos vedanya, who wants to buy a box of rocket launchers and bootleg vodka?

Old 12-23-2011, 02:19 PM

457 posts, read 586,624 times
Quote:
The problem though is working on your idea enough to make a prototype product and then pitch for seed money. I don't believe there is a visa that allows you to work on your own stuff as all work visas in the US are associated with employment.

Old 12-23-2011, 02:53 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,873,813 times
Quote:
Those guys can come here on short-term visas to conduct business, but you can't just up and move to the US permanently. If you want to LIVE here, the process of getting a residency permit is quite lengthy.

What that boat guy is suggesting is having these people living and working in international waters so that they could pop in to visit clients, suppliers, etc with just a ferry ride rather than a 12 or 18-hour plane trip from Asia or Europe.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:24 AM

622 posts, read 844,069 times
I admire the ingenuity. I'm just not sure that being stationed off the California coast is a good thing. Also, how far out are international waters? I'm thinking that's going to be one LONG ferry ride.

Anyway, the last cruise I took was from SoCal to Mexico on one of those big cruise ships, but those where the choppiest waters I'd ever been in on a huge ship like that. My other cruises was a great cruise in NE Asia and the other from Miami to the Bahamas. I expected the same for my SoCal to Mexico cruise: a fun cruise in calm waters. Heading south down the coast of Mexico the water was fine. Coming back a few days later the water was choppy and the trip back was horrible.

Quote:
Living in choppy waters would be just awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
What that boat guy is suggesting is having these people living and working in international waters so that they could pop in to visit clients, suppliers, etc with just a ferry ride rather than a 12 or 18-hour plane trip from Asia or Europe.
Exactly. I used to live in Asia and flying back and for is not like hopping the red eye from NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland