Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2011, 09:42 AM

10,497 posts, read 6,108,636 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
Quick question - I'd appreciate your local knowledge:
Wondered if anyone had any tips for parking near the shops along College avenue (Elmwood area) in Berkeley during busy periods?
Whenever I've been I've always had to park miles away, and I'd like to spend some time there shopping etc with my family over the Christmas period. I'm guessing there must be some kind of parking lot somewhere but if there is I've missed it?

While on the subject, parking in the Rockridge end of College Avenue seems to be a bit easier but I'd appreciate any tips for parking there as well. There don't seem to be any parking lots other than the BART station and I think you have to use the BART to use it?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 10:03 AM

3,981 posts, read 8,957,234 times
I usually just find street parking around some of the residential neighborhoods (Cherry Street off of Russell St.) or anything east of College Ave. always seems to work for me. Other than that, I don't recall ever seeing any garages or anything like that. Just be careful of the residential time limit if you plan to spend more than a couple of hours...I'm sure they'll ticket if your cars been there too long.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:51 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,036,610 times
Yeah just turn onto a side street and wander around, that is what you need to do pretty much anywhere here, in SF/Berkeley/Oakland parking lots and garages are rare and usually expensive. Yes, keep an eye on the signs to make sure you are ok for time. You actually have to pay meters to park on College in Rockridge, you don't on the side streets. I think there's a small parking lot in Elmwood behind some of the shops on the west side of College, you can see it in the Google satellite map. It's probably only for the shops it's behind though.

In Rockridge I'd suggest somewhere around Hudson and College, there's always a lot of parking on Manila and some of the other streets west of it.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:22 AM

10,497 posts, read 6,108,636 times
Thanks clongirl and mayorhaggar.

Your advice is appreciated!

Old 12-19-2011, 11:47 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,728,449 times
You can safely park at BART after 3 on weekdays or on the weekend. They do not monitor. Also, the library has a metered lot behind it. There is a paid lot around the rug store on Claremont, I don't know the scoop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland