U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2011, 04:49 PM

9,197 posts, read 12,414,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Uncle Sam does not have state taxes in Texas.
Uncle Sam taxes have nothing to do with state taxes.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:54 PM

23,461 posts, read 44,833,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Violent crime in Oakland has not been played up, its a fact.

Oakland has a violent crime rate that is the fourth highest in the United States. United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Second highest for robbery
Fifth highest for forcible rape
Sixth highest for Murder
Ninth highest for aggravated assault

Doesn't sound very safe to me.
I don't think anyone is disputing the numbers...

Today the chief of police in conjunction with over lapping agencies said 90% of the crime in Oakland occurs in a very specific corridor.

Looking at the crime maps... some areas are a sea of crime and other parts of the city have zero or an isolated case.

Can't speak for others...

I'm 4th generation Oaklander... I have been in the "Bad" areas and the good areas and lets just say it is easier to find trouble in certain areas...

Mostly, nothing much happens before noon... crime would generally be the worst late at night... often folks on the street corners and often at least one party would not be a resident of Oakland... looking for drugs, prostitutes are two pastimes that come to mind.

When I was in the "Bad" area... it was bad in the sense there were drug dealer thugs... fast forward to present and all of those guys are either dead, in jail or they found religion. For the most part they leave you alone as long as you leave them alone... bad for business you know.

I still say you can find trouble if you are looking for it and in Oakland it is just easier to find.

The Bart shooting which brought a lot of negative press to Oakland had zero to do with Oakland... no Oakland residents of Oakland police were involved.

Some will be pleasantly surprised as many I know are and others will be so worried that even if someone gave them a free house, they wouldn't accept.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:57 PM

23,571 posts, read 27,965,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Uncle Sam does not have state taxes in Texas.
Perhaps 'cause there ain't nothin' worth taxin'.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:16 PM

24,952 posts, read 24,743,684 times
Quote:
The entire city is only 78 square miles in area,
"only" 78 square miles? FYI SF has 2x the people in 49 square miles. I don't know where you live, but that's pretty big geographically.
Quote:
so its all those unsafe areas are pretty darn close to the so called safe areas. Why should I as a visitor want to bring my tourist dollars or business dollars to a city like this?
Actually that is not true. Generally safe areas are surrounded by more safe areas, with a gradual decline as you get closer to the less-safe areas. There are few "safe" areas that border "unsafe" ones. In Oakland, since the crime is so concentrated to a few areas, you can avoid most risky situations easily if you have the choice to.

I live in a safe area, the only time I feel "unsafe" is when I walk down a dark street that is a little bit more transitional after 9pm. Using urban common sense, I stick to the well lit side and walk fast on this one block. This single block is also where all of the crime in my area happens. Mainly cell phone thefts about 10 times a year and occasional mail fraud. Considering this is 3rd or 4th densest area in town, obviously this isn't bad.

If you watch the news, you;d think walking home from the bus stop would be crossing a war zone. Obviously this is not the case in the vast majority of the city.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:08 PM

12,673 posts, read 19,342,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Perhaps 'cause there ain't nothin' worth taxin'.
Either way, Texans do not pay state taxes.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:09 PM

10,736 posts, read 8,272,320 times
Quote:
"Depending on the area you walk through"... How is that any comfort to a visitor who does not know what areas to avoid? If some areas are perfectly safe, then the extremely high violent crime rates the city has means the unsafe areas are deadly. Especially for anyone unfamiliar with the area who could easily stumble into one of them. The entire city is only 78 square miles in area, so its all those unsafe areas are pretty darn close to the so called safe areas. Why should I as a visitor want to bring my tourist dollars or business dollars to a city like this?

Oakland wasn't safe for the 90 people who were murdered there last year, or the 318 that were forcibly raped.
Probably the same way you'd advise tourists not to walk through certain areas of any other city. The worst projects in Chicago are just west of downtown, skid row just below Market street in San Francisco, and Roxbury just south of downtown in Boston. If you only visit cities without high-crime areas, you won't get out very much.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:16 AM

327 posts, read 585,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I've lived in Texas twice, compliments of Uncle Sam.

I'd rather be in Oakland!
Yikes... I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume that you were in either El Paso or Amarillo! Texas is fantastic... but the Bay Area is fantastic too. Austinite here and I'll be on a plane to SF in 5 hours.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:50 PM

16,386 posts, read 35,995,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
"only" 78 square miles? FYI SF has 2x the people in 49 square miles. I don't know where you live, but that's pretty big geographically.
That is not big geographically when you compare it to most other cities.

Detroit 143 square miles
Memphis 313 square miles
Austin 271 square miles
Houston is 579.4 square miles
LA 503 square miles

Oakland is barely 6 miles across at it's mid point. I often walk that far just for exercise.

Someone else on this thread said the only unsafe areas in Oakland are the East side and the West side! LOL, that leaves what? And how far do you have to walk to get between those?

Old 12-31-2011, 02:38 PM

24,952 posts, read 24,743,684 times
Quote:
That is not big geographically when you compare it to most other cities.

Detroit 143 square miles
Memphis 313 square miles
Austin 271 square miles
Houston is 579.4 square miles
LA 503 square miles

Oakland is barely 6 miles across at it's mid point. I often walk that far just for exercise.

Someone else on this thread said the only unsafe areas in Oakland are the East side and the West side! LOL, that leaves what? And how far do you have to walk to get between those?
With the exception of LA, those areas are the only urban areas for miles around. It quickly turns rural after leaving the "city limits" and Detroit of course is undergoing "urban prarification." so these are pretty extreme examples.

Very true is it only 6 miles across and 12 miles long.

In the simplest terms, west Oakland is anything west of the 980 freeway/downtown Oakland.

The Oakland Hills are the areas above the 580 freeway.

East Oakland technically starts east of the Lake. But when discussing east Oakland, the areas where the bulk of the crime happens is below Seminary. So if you avoid the areas roughly bordered from Seminary, 580 to 880 and the San Leandro line, you'll avoid around 50% of all serious crime in Oakland. The Fruitvale district also has a good portion of crime as well, that probably another 20% of the crime.

It is also important to note that most of Oakland's crime happens after dark.

So called "West Oakland" is very different. There are pockets of bad areas mixed in with OK to marginaly ones. It really varies block to block. So this would claim another 10% of crime roughly.

So basically if you stay above Seminary and avoid Fruitvale at night you'll mis ~ 80% of all the crime in Oakland. Looks pretty easy to avoid to me.

This leaves you with downtown, North Oakland, and neighborhoods up to about 4 miles east of the Lake generally, and of course the hills.

As the mayor mentioned, about 100 blocks in the entire city account for around 85% of the crime.

Old 12-31-2011, 04:32 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,712,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILove View Post
The only reason people act like they're afraid of Oakland is racism. /rant
Boy, 5, shot dead in Oakland - latest young victim

Oakland isn't safe. You don't see this kind of crap happening in most suburban parts of the Bay Area. Its a pervasive culture of violence by a certain demographic and if you want to label that racist so be it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland