Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2012, 11:53 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,398,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
And yet San Francisco has less then half of the violent crime rate that Oakland has. Four times higher density but half the crime rate!
Then the solution is clear. More herb for Oakland! Let that be your rallying cry.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:32 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,956,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Then the solution is clear. More herb for Oakland! Let that be your rallying cry.
You could be on to something there!

Old 01-05-2012, 01:29 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,219,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
And yet San Francisco has less then half of the violent crime rate that Oakland has. Four times higher density but half the crime rate!
Go to SF's ghettos and tell me they're better than Oakland's. Good luck with that.

Also, SF does not have a violent crime rate "over two times" lower than Oakland. Try 25-50% lower, depending on year, over the past decade (though most stats you find online won't show it, as the SFPD has been submitting incomplete violent crime stats to the FBI since at least 2005...an average of 20% unreported, every year). You may be surprised to know that SF even had a higher violent crime rate than Oakland in 1990. So If you hate Oakland so much for it's crime, it only makes sense that you should hate SF at least 20%-50% as much as you hate Oakland. Unless your real problem with Oakland is something other than crime.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:44 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,808,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Visit Oaksterdam, and your wish will come true.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:38 AM

330 posts, read 748,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Go to SF's ghettos and tell me they're better than Oakland's. Good luck with that.

Also, SF does not have a violent crime rate "over two times" lower than Oakland. Try 25-50% lower, depending on year, over the past decade (though most stats you find online won't show it, as the SFPD has been submitting incomplete violent crime stats to the FBI since at least 2005...an average of 20% unreported, every year). You may be surprised to know that SF even had a higher violent crime rate than Oakland in 1990. So If you hate Oakland so much for it's crime, it only makes sense that you should hate SF at least 20%-50% as much as you hate Oakland. Unless your real problem with Oakland is something other than crime.
Please provide a source for your claim that SFPD is under-reporting violent crimes by 20%

*Edit - Okay, I found some articles via a google search that state crime is generally under-reported nationwide at about 25%. But your argument that the crime in Oakland is not that bad in comparison to SF is based on an implied premise that under-reporting is happening in SF but not in Oakland. I'd like to see you substantiate this argument.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:13 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,708,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil1212 View Post
Please provide a source for your claim that SFPD is under-reporting violent crimes by 20%

*Edit - Okay, I found some articles via a google search that state crime is generally under-reported nationwide at about 25%. But your argument that the crime in Oakland is not that bad in comparison to SF is based on an implied premise that under-reporting is happening in SF but not in Oakland. I'd like to see you substantiate this argument.

In terms of literal reporting, the San Francisco Chronicle reports every crime that happens in Oakland (lol) while ignoring nearly every crime that happens in San Francisco.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:12 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,788,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
In terms of literal reporting, the San Francisco Chronicle reports every crime that happens in Oakland (lol) while ignoring nearly every crime that happens in San Francisco.
Yup. If you read the SF Examinier, you'll find at least 10X the number of crimes reported as compared with what's in the Chronicle.

The Chronicle also reports on crimes in Oakland, that when a similar one happens in SF, do not get reported.
Examples:
  • weapons on buses
  • ATM robberies
  • Bank robberies
I don't even recall the last time I have seen a similar story about it on SF.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:29 AM

28,111 posts, read 63,536,638 times
I have to agree... the Chronicle almost has an Oakland fixation...

Hey, just think of the peace of mind having an "Oakland" provides for the Bay Area at large by letting the residents of surrounding communities sleep easy every night and also be thankful they only have to read about Oakland...

On the other hand... I traversed most of East Oakland today and only met the nicest people...

Started in Brookfield (Quiet Village) for a job and then went to 65th Ave, followed by Havenscourt... on the Foothill Hardware then to Laurel Hardware and then to 92 and B street... and just getting in now...

Funny thing is I've been doing this for most of my life without incident...

On a more serious note... friends that work for the Alameda County Sheriff's department tell me most convicts are released in Oakland even if they have no ties to Oakland... guess it's just another community service Oakland provides.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:21 AM

16,787 posts, read 48,956,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post

Where did I say I hate Oakland? I'm just reporting the facts.

Here are the crime rates reported by the FBI for 2010:
United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oakland 1,529.6
San Franciso 702.1

Do the math.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:02 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,788,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

On a more serious note... friends that work for the Alameda County Sheriff's department tell me most convicts are released in Oakland even if they have no ties to Oakland... guess it's just another community service Oakland provides.
This is ridiculous. Why does Oakland have the privilege of being the region's dumping ground for ex-convicts. Shouldn't they go to the biggest city in the region (SJ) or how about the one with the most city sponsored services and the highest minimum wage (SF).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland