U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2012, 02:46 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,149,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Where did I say I hate Oakland? I'm just reporting the facts.

Here are the crime rates reported by the FBI for 2010:
United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oakland 1,529.6
San Franciso 702.1

Do the math.
Lets do reasoning.

In Oakland, the violent crime is disproportionately concentrated in a couple of neighborhoods. Let the same be true for San Francisco, then here, we have a conversation about San Francisco's dangerous neighborhoods are safer than Oakland's dangerous neighborhoods.

It's stupid

Old 01-07-2012, 02:52 PM

26,591 posts, read 52,313,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
This is ridiculous. Why does Oakland have the privilege of being the region's dumping ground for ex-convicts. Shouldn't they go to the biggest city in the region (SJ) or how about the one with the most city sponsored services and the highest minimum wage (SF).
I was thinking Dublin, Pleasanton and Livermore based on proximity to Santa Rita and it would save the tax payers the expense of a bus ride to Oakland.

When I asked the question... this is the reply... "Oakland is better suited because it has the infrastructure in place to deal with these people"

Old 01-07-2012, 03:03 PM

6,920 posts, read 12,385,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I was thinking Dublin, Pleasanton and Livermore based on proximity to Santa Rita and it would save the tax payers the expense of a bus ride to Oakland.

When I asked the question... this is the reply... "Oakland is better suited because it has the infrastructure in place to deal with these people"

What "infrastructure" would they be referencing? The understaffed police force and the increasingly sparse public housing options? That infrastructure? smh

Old 01-07-2012, 05:24 PM

16,721 posts, read 41,009,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
Lets do reasoning.

In Oakland, the violent crime is disproportionately concentrated in a couple of neighborhoods. Let the same be true for San Francisco, then here, we have a conversation about San Francisco's dangerous neighborhoods are safer than Oakland's dangerous neighborhoods.

It's stupid
I agree, our example of reasoning is stupid. The crime rate in SF's worst neighborhoods is lower then the crime rate in Oakland's worst neighborhoods.

This recent post alone demonstrates why it is entirely reasonable and probable that Oakland's high crime neighborhoods are worse then SF's high crime neighborhoods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
This is ridiculous. Why does Oakland have the privilege of being the region's dumping ground for ex-convicts. Shouldn't they go to the biggest city in the region (SJ) or how about the one with the most city sponsored services and the highest minimum wage (SF).

Old 01-07-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
I agree, our example of reasoning is stupid. The crime rate in SF's worst neighborhoods is lower then the crime rate in Oakland's worst neighborhoods.

This recent post alone demonstrates why it is entirely reasonable and probable that Oakland's high crime neighborhoods are worse then SF's high crime neighborhoods.

Where's your proof? San Francisco's worst areas tend to be encapsulated in larger neighborhoods... Sunnydale, Alemany, Portero Hill, etc. are all examples of this. This:

blythdale avenue, san francisco - Google Maps

towerside, san francisco - Google Maps

Is in the same neighborhood as this:

delta street, san francisco - Google Maps

leland avenue, san francisco - Google Maps

So when you look at total crime stats for the neighborhoods (in this case Sunnydale), we're really talking about two very, very economically different areas.

The only bad large neighborhoods in SF are Hunters Point and the Tenderloin. the bad in SF is very, very bad... anybody who's familiar with the bad in both cities knows that we're splitting hairs when we're talking about which is worse.

Oakland's bad areas are indisputably larger than the ones in SF though, which is why the crime rate is higher.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:11 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,149,325 times
Quote:

You misconstued my post.

My point is, it does not make anyone any safer, when comparing a "dangerous" neighborhood to another "dangerous" neighborhood. In the report, where the confused man moved from Fruitvale to the Tenderloins, does not make him any safer.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
What "infrastructure" would they be referencing? The understaffed police force and the increasingly sparse public housing options? That infrastructure? smh
Not sure... my guess is there are still a few missions/shelters and I know Old Saint Marys has a soup kitchen... maybe it's access to transit?

Only a guess.

Before they closed, St Vincent De Paul on San Leandro Blvd had an outreach were anyone in need would be able to pick up household items... pots, pans, furniture and clothes...

Old 01-07-2012, 07:48 PM

5,706 posts, read 8,130,988 times
Shootings Soar in Oakland; Children Often the Victims

Five-year-old Gabriel Martinez Jr. died Dec. 30, shot as he played under a streetlight near his father’s taco truck on an East Oakland street corner. He was the third young child killed in Oakland since August, the 110th homicide of 2011, and the 199th juvenile shooting victim of more than 2,000 people who were victims of gun violence in an especially bloody year in an increasingly violent city.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/08/us...akland.html?hp

The Killadelphia of the west coast.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Shootings Soar in Oakland; Children Often the Victims

Five-year-old Gabriel Martinez Jr. died Dec. 30, shot as he played under a streetlight near his fatherís taco truck on an East Oakland street corner. He was the third young child killed in Oakland since August, the 110th homicide of 2011, and the 199th juvenile shooting victim of more than 2,000 people who were victims of gun violence in an especially bloody year in an increasingly violent city.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/08/us...akland.html?hp

The Killadelphia of the west coast.
Quote:
Law enforcement officials and crime experts said they did not know why Oakland experienced such a spasm of violence in 2011.
Maybe if they hadn't announced to everybody who cared to listen that they were severely understaffed and that the situation was getting worse... you know, because criminals read the papers too.

Even with Oakland's police understaffing though, it's the same story through most of the Bay Area. San Jose had the most murders its had in about a decade in 2011. A lot of it has to do with the crappy economy.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Maybe if they hadn't announced to everybody who cared to listen that they were severely understaffed and that the situation was getting worse... you know, because criminals read the papers too.

Even with Oakland's police understaffing though, it's the same story through most of the Bay Area. San Jose had the most murders its had in about a decade in 2011. A lot of it has to do with the crappy economy.
I couldn't believe the Police spokesperson announcing publicly that they would no longer respond to burglary, thefts and other similar crimes...

It was like putting the welcome mat out and inviting crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland