Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 02:48 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,069,086 times

Advertisements

While I know this is a long standing oak-sfo thing, just want to say re: the OP stating that 'safety is an illusion'. Um, no, it's not. I agree familiarity plays a factor, but obviously, a 13 year old getting shot does NOT happen 'everywhere' (just to give an example that was mentioned on this thread). Gawd; I hate that mindset, b/c it's not logical. There are plenty of places around the world where one can live without fear for personal safety or of being robbed, car stolen or broken into, etc. SO you should qualify and say 'such and such type of crime happens in several places, not just oakland, such as....x, y, z)

And, yes, areas DO become safer statistically and in actual experience, based on certain factors. Gentrification and tourism [both of which bring more economic stability, albeit sometimes seasonal for tourism] into an area. They also unify the community b/c its business members and residents have a vested interest in maintaining these factors, usually. True, they also bring detriments and one can argue about whether or not they are good for a place in the short or long term. But lower crime usually is one net result.

We could say there is crime everywhere. But to say 'safety is an illusion' is hilarious to me. Shades of gray most certainly do matter when it comes to crime, as well. Not only in numbers and probability stats, but types of crime. What type of crime am I likely to be targeted for is not an illusion (though, yes, some people can be overly paranoid). If you are talking large metro areas in and of themselves, violent crime rates vary dramatically.

Also, for the record, I don't think SFO is 'safe', either.
But, Oakland has not 'always been a world class city'. lol. Perhaps to those who live it, but then so is a small city in the midwest, to its loyal residents. World class city is not something SFO residents made up to act like they are better than Oakland. LOL.

FWIW: I currently live in San Diego, a city that is said to enjoy low violent crime rates, relative to its size and comparatively. I agree-as cities go, people are fairly chill on the shooting each other thing here (and associated violent crimes). It's not immune, of course. I have lived in SFO, had friends in diverse areas of Oakland. Really depends on what vibe is your cup of tea, IMO. I can see why some people, like my friends, preferred oak and didn't live there only b/c it was cheaper at that time.

As for people asking if it's safe-the media as well as city PR can be thanked for that. I mean, how many stereotypes do you still hold about rust belt cities or other regions, just b/c you 'haven't heard otherwise'. People will ask; how else will they get information????? That's what's great about this forum-you get firsthand feedback.

Old 02-13-2014, 03:41 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,823,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
While I know this is a long standing oak-sfo thing, just want to say re: the OP stating that 'safety is an illusion'. Um, no, it's not. I agree familiarity plays a factor, but obviously, a 13 year old getting shot does NOT happen 'everywhere' (just to give an example that was mentioned on this thread). Gawd; I hate that mindset, b/c it's not logical. There are plenty of places around the world where one can live without fear for personal safety or of being robbed, car stolen or broken into, etc. SO you should qualify and say 'such and such type of crime happens in several places, not just oakland, such as....x, y, z)
Completely agree. It's ignorant to think that someone living in Burlingame is going to experience the same type of violence and crime that a citizen of Nuevo Laredo, Mexico would experience. Safety is definitely not an illusion, some places are simply much safer than other places.

A mother of two doesn't just lose two sons to gun violence days apart in every city in America, that's extraordinary. If it wasn't, why was that story of the Oakland mother on national news outlets? It was the top story on CNN, USA Today, etc. It was even given a 3 minute segment on KTLA here in SoCal. It's not normal, it doesn't happen every where, that's why it caught the national medias attention.

mod cut

That's not the same thing as Oakland being rated the #1 most violent and dangerous city in California year after year. Just a glance at the statistics, Oakland has had violent crime problems for the past 30 years. That's called a culture and history of violencemod cut

Last edited by Sam I Am; 02-14-2014 at 02:40 AM.. Reason: orphaned - the post you refer to has been deleted

Old 02-13-2014, 07:12 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
Man, the next time someone asks if it's safe in Oakland, the residents should reply with a resounding "NO!!"

With all the techies and SF ex-pats moving in, not to mention the over-selling of the town by locals and media, it's no longer an affordable, underdiscovered secret. My pops is in his 60s and hoping to retire in Oakland, but he may have to move away with how quickly the COL is rising. If you guys aren't making six figures, you could be next.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:50 PM

13,688 posts, read 7,973,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
... It's a real American tragedy, one that most Americans don't give a **** about mainly because of the color and social class of the kids dying.
I agree it's a tragedy but Malcolm X and 2-Pac had the right idea that serious change must from within the community.

And until a strong black leader or leadership comes along I doubt we'll see any such change.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
I agree it's a tragedy but Malcolm X and 2-Pac had the right idea that serious change must from within the community.

And until a strong black leader or leadership comes along I doubt we'll see any such change.
Exactly. mod cut What else are we expected us to do as tax payers to help with Oakland's problems?

At some point the problems have to be fixed by the people who stand to gain the most, mainly the people who call Oakland home.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 02-14-2014 at 02:33 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 02-14-2014, 03:08 AM

3,098 posts, read 3,783,180 times
Some people who are not familiar with oakland believe try to argue that crime is uniform throughout the city. Violent crime is highly localized mostly to parts of east and west Oakland
There are some very dangerous high crime areas in oakland but there are also a lot of very nice and safe areas. The high crime areas seem to have no effect on the gentrification of areas like temescal and uptown
Note the different zip codes in these recently sold homes
1801 MELVIN RD
OAKLAND, CA 94602
SOLD PRICE: $2,450,000

6033 SKYLINE BLVD
OAKLAND, CA 94611
SOLD PRICE: $2,250,000

13085 SKYLINE BLVD
OAKLAND, CA 94619
SOLD PRICE: $2,100,000

160 GRAVATT DR
OAKLAND, CA 94705
SOLD PRICE: $1,527,500

1099 ARDMORE AVE
OAKLAND, CA 94610
SOLD PRICE: $1,850,000

170 ROBLE ROAD
OAKLAND, CA 94618
SOLD PRICE: $2,050,000

It's absurd to believe these areas have the same amount of crime as the specific high crime high poverty areas in east and west oakland

Old 02-14-2014, 09:25 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,273,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armyturtle View Post
Just thought I'd point out why although Oakland is so so close to SF more of Oakland's #3 in crime problems don't bleed over - It's $5 to cross the bridge to get into SF. ) Is that a lot? No. Enough to make the criminals stay local? Yep. I think this alone is the #1 reason there's such a stark difference in crime numbers between two cities that are literally just a few miles away from each other.

The fact is I hate Oakland - I hate the idea that I'd even have to THINK about what parts I should or shouldn't go to. In SF there's really only once place I'd steer clear from, and that's Hunter's Point, which is off on it's own and out of the way to get to to begin with.
You are out to lunch if you think the Tenderloin and the Mission are entirely safe. LOL

Old 02-14-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
Some people who are not familiar with oakland believe try to argue that crime is uniform throughout the city.
Umm, who was arguing that? There isn't a single major city in the entire U.S where crime is neatly and uniformly spread over the city. That's not even logical.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:42 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,273,283 times
Fresno and Stockton surely come to mind.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Fresno and Stockton surely come to mind.
Really?

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Does that look uniform to you?

Maybe a joke that I completely missed? You will not find a single major U.S City with "uniform" crime across all its neighborhoods. That's completely and totally illogical.

Last edited by Yac; 02-19-2014 at 06:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland