U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 12:35 AM

12,673 posts, read 19,342,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRISTINsf View Post
Oakland is the 6th most dangerous city in America.

1. Oakland is the most dangerous city in California.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/22/most-dangerous-cities-in-california_n_976548.html

2. Oakland has the 10th highest rate of rape, 9th highest rate of murder, and the 2nd highest rate of robbery.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Oakland-In-Top-10-Dangerous-List-122733239.html
Thanks. Facts are facts. Can't argue with that.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:38 AM

30,802 posts, read 49,206,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Thanks. Facts are facts. Can't argue with that.
LOL

If those stats are all it takes to deter you and others of your mindset from ever coming to Oakland-then I welcome that post with total glee.

Please, be afraid.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:15 AM

3,764 posts, read 6,930,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILove View Post
I'm getting tired of people asking if it's safe for them in Oakland. There is no such thing as safety.

The only reason people act like they're afraid of Oakland is racism. Crimes happen everywhere in the world, but for some reason to this day when people of color commit crimes their racial groups are profiled as dangerous. We all know white people commit crimes too (all throughout history) but they have never been labeled as dangerous people to live around. Predominantly white cities never get labeled as dangerous cities, their crimes are always isolated.

Don't get me wrong for pointing out these common racial inconsistencies - I didn't create them, but I do observe them. I have zero problems with any racial group (regardless of what the person who robbed me, put graffiti on the walls, or took my liberties away looks like), and I think most Oakland/Bay Area natives feel the same - that's another reason this places rocks most other densely packed areas. I do however have problems with stereotypes and the scared people who perpetuate them.

Oakland is a world class city, and it always has been. People just weren't willing to say so before the gentrification started taking place all over the city. Now that more people feel safer coming here (thanks to the rapidly changing demographics and new development buildings), Oakland is 'getting a make over!'

"Oakland is up and coming!" "Oakland has a a lot of potential - it just needs some fixing up!" These types of statements annoy me as I've always loved this city and felt it was worthy of praise. I'm not even so sure most of the new changes to this city are really a good thing - I'd rather Oakland stay the way it was than just become another tourist city.

If you find Oakland too scary to live in or even visit, then don't! People who have such intense stigmas with entire groups of people that they have to ask on forums if they'll be 'safe' around them will most likely only make this great city of ours worse anyway. We don't need gentrification. We don't need the masses suddenly feeling safe in Oakland (thanks to Brad Pitt movies and other new Oakland hype), moving here just to fill up the areas you feel safest in (Lake Merritt-Rockridge-Uptown, etc - essentially helping to further a divide in the city), just to spend all your time in SF anyway! If you want to be in SF then move there! If you can't afford it, then move some place else, it's simple.

Bottom line, safety is an illusion, it's just a feeling we get from familiarity. Oakland is no more dangerous than any other large city, regardless of what propagated media sells. Furthermore, Oakland is not a cheap alternative to SF - nor is it a suburb of SF (yes I have been asked if it was). This is a wonderful city all her own, and I hope she stays that way. Thanks for reading. /rant
Just to play devil's advocate here, but this message board is called "city-data" and people that aren't from the region or know anything about Oakland might want to get some information on crime. It's a generalization or stereotype that people obviously hear about on the news.

I'm from the Bay Area and even I wouldn't want to venture to some parts of Oakland without knowing a little about where I shouldn't walk alone at night. Surely folks moving here would want to know the same?

Old 12-20-2011, 09:21 AM

330 posts, read 586,786 times
I've never felt unsafe in Oakland (although, I will say some areas are certainly "depressing"). I think a big reason why Oakland gets an unfair rep as "unsafe" from people who visit it briefly or just pass through is due largely to the geography and set-up of the major transit routes.

Unfortunately for Oakland, it seems like the worst/most blighted parts of the city are on full display for anyone passing through to see. For instance, say you are a tourist flying into Oakland and you hop on BART from the Coliseum and take it to SF. In the same ride you are going to see that pretty ugly stretch north of the Coliseum as well as the ugly stretch along West Oakland. Also, if you are driving along 880 you are going to see a lot of the same blighted areas. It just "looks" bad from a distance.

Or, say you are a business traveler with meetings downtown. Sorry, but downtown Oakland is just kinda "blah" and in places can feel unsafe with the graffiti and empty storefronts. These same people then go home to wherever they came from and go "man, all of Oakland is a dump." Then they see something in the paper about murders in Oakland and it confirms the stereotype they formed from their extremely limited experience there....And the myth is perpetuated.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:25 AM

24,963 posts, read 24,743,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post

I'm from the Bay Area and even I wouldn't want to venture to some parts of Oakland without knowing a little about where I shouldn't walk alone at night. Surely folks moving here would want to know the same?
It is totally reasonable to say there are some parts of Oakland I shouldn't go to. Unfortunately, for some reason people use wayward logic to say: because there are parts of Oakland that are dangerous, the entire city is dangerous and should be avoided.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:35 AM

3,764 posts, read 6,930,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
It is totally reasonable to say there are some parts of Oakland I shouldn't go to. Unfortunately, for some reason people use wayward logic to say: because there are parts of Oakland that are dangerous, the entire city is dangerous and should be avoided.
Of course, but someone from the East Coast or Midwest who's never been to the state might not know that. Hypothetically, if I were to be offered a job in Detroit for instance, I'd certainly have my doubts about the place...it's just what you hear on the news whether it's an accurate depiction of the whole city or not.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Of course, but someone from the East Coast or Midwest who's never been to the state might not know that. Hypothetically, if I were to be offered a job in Detroit for instance, I'd certainly have my doubts about the place...it's just what you hear on the news whether it's an accurate depiction of the whole city or not.
Sure, the larger problem is, when people chime in with firsthand accounts of positive experiences in Oakland, another set of people chime in an essentially accuse them of exaggerating, or try and negate these stories as an inaccurate picture of life in Oakland, when they have only passed by on the freeway (or stopped at the airport) and watched the news.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil1212 View Post
Or, say you are a business traveler with meetings downtown. Sorry, but downtown Oakland is just kinda "blah" and in places can feel unsafe with the graffiti and empty storefronts.
The silly thing about characterizing Oakland by downtown, let's be honest, how many mid-sized American cities have great vibrant downtowns? I mean this seems kinda of a silly assumption, since we all know that Americans purposely killed downtowns over the past 50 years. I am sure what ever town they are from also has a downtown in transition. And if someone was to visit downtown Any City, USA it would be much the same.....

So much new development happened outside of downtown in most cities. Oakland is a little strange because the vibrant areas are off the beaten path, and the freeways don't drop you off in the middle of these areas on any side of town.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:58 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,187,820 times
So the OP's premise is that the crime rates of primarily Black neighborhoods are completely fabricated?

I'm pretty sure I have a bigger chance of getting robbed by Macarthur, than I do in lily white Portland, Maine.

I really hate it when political correctness trumps common sense, as it does in this thread. Oakland has some great areas, but some neighborhoods are warzones.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
So the OP's premise is that the crime rates of primarily Black neighborhoods are completely fabricated?

I'm pretty sure I have a bigger chance of getting robbed by Macarthur, than I do in lily white Portland, Maine.
No, it is not the primarily black are full of crime. Areas with concentrated poverty that are neglected and under-served have tend to have higher crime rates not matter who lives there.

Middle class neighborhoods generally have low crime no matter who lives there.

People seem to confuse issues that are generally more related to class with ones that are related to ethnicity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland