U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2011, 12:12 AM

1 posts, read 579 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Desperately need some timely advice. I will be starting my new job in less than 2 weeks, which requires a relo from So Cal to the Bay Area. My budget is somewhat limited ($2000/mo) and I am further constrained by the fact that I have a lovable but still very large dog (great dane, woof!). I am single female in mid-40s and really like a city/suburban combo lifestyle (i.e. not too sleepy suburban, not night-clubby). My job will be in the Financial District and I am planning on commuting via BART. I am not in the market for a house but will be renting (an apartment/condo...depending upon what I can find).

I would like an area that is a bit more upscale but not too stuffy, where I can leave "the city behind" yet still indulge in great restaurants and some culture from time-to-time. I am considering the following areas and really need some hard-hitting advice using the following criteria: 1) quality of life (good shopping, restaurants, safety factor); 2) commute 1 hour or less; 3) price/bang-for-buck ratio. Now, the areas (open to suggestions):

1) Pacifica
2) San Bruno
3) Millbrae or San Mateo
4) Walnut Creek
5) Dublin or Livermore

Thanks so much for the great advice....my head is swimming!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 12:55 AM

24,952 posts, read 24,743,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engelhlywd View Post

1) Pacifica
2) San Bruno
3) Millbrae or San Mateo
4) Walnut Creek
5) Dublin or Livermore

Thanks so much for the great advice....my head is swimming!!
You may want to add Burlingame to the list. Burlingame and San Mateo are OK, but they do not have easy BART access, and Caltrain drops you off far from the financial district.

The best option to commue to the financial district is BART. It is an easy commute, especially if you are originating from Dublin or Walnut Creek.

Dublin/Livermore: not many great restaurants. Livermore would be a crappy commute. Dublin is a much better choice, it is much closer in all ways. There are quite a few condos/apartments in reasonable walking distance of BART. You'd need to drive to most things. It is mostly chain restaurants in Dublin/Pleasanton/Livermore/San Ramon.

Walnut Creek: Good choice, you could easily live within walking distance of the pleasant hill bart station, there are a zillion apartments and condos in the vicinity of BART in all price ranges. You'd have easy access to downtown Walnut Creek which probably has the best restaurant scene of your list.

You could also add LAfayette to your list. Easy access to Walnut Creek, and the area around BART has quiet a bit of stuff to do.

Pacifica is pretty sleepy, good for driving to SF. Very chilly/foggy weather for most of the year.

San Bruno/Millbrae are in the flight path to SFO. They are pretty suburban, Burlingame and San Mateo have the best downtowns in that area for amenities.

I'd probably pick Walnut Creek or Lafayette. They have the closest to Socal weather you are used to, and easy commutes to SF, good access to Oakland and Berkeley when you are sick of their restaurants.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:26 AM

21,663 posts, read 23,365,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
You may want to add Burlingame to the list. Burlingame and San Mateo are OK, but they do not have easy BART access, and Caltrain drops you off far from the financial district.

The best option to commue to the financial district is BART. It is an easy commute, especially if you are originating from Dublin or Walnut Creek.

Dublin/Livermore: not many great restaurants. Livermore would be a crappy commute. Dublin is a much better choice, it is much closer in all ways. There are quite a few condos/apartments in reasonable walking distance of BART. You'd need to drive to most things. It is mostly chain restaurants in Dublin/Pleasanton/Livermore/San Ramon.

Walnut Creek: Good choice, you could easily live within walking distance of the pleasant hill bart station, there are a zillion apartments and condos in the vicinity of BART in all price ranges. You'd have easy access to downtown Walnut Creek which probably has the best restaurant scene of your list.

You could also add LAfayette to your list. Easy access to Walnut Creek, and the area around BART has quiet a bit of stuff to do.

Pacifica is pretty sleepy, good for driving to SF. Very chilly/foggy weather for most of the year.

San Bruno/Millbrae are in the flight path to SFO. They are pretty suburban, Burlingame and San Mateo have the best downtowns in that area for amenities.

I'd probably pick Walnut Creek or Lafayette. They have the closest to Socal weather you are used to, and easy commutes to SF, good access to Oakland and Berkeley when you are sick of their restaurants.
Good post...I was wondering why isn't the OP considering parts of Oakland and Berkeley? Urban but not as urban as SF...and an easier commute.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:33 AM

5,242 posts, read 10,466,568 times
I'd mainly look at Rockridge in Oakland, Walnut Creek, Pleasant Hill, and the areas around downtown Lafayette and downtown Orinda. They all have BART stations and places to eat. Rockridge is more urban than the other places but it's pretty upscale and a lot less dense than anywhere in SF. Not too many apartments though.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:49 AM

30,801 posts, read 49,196,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
I'd mainly look at Rockridge in Oakland, Walnut Creek, Pleasant Hill, and the areas around downtown Lafayette and downtown Orinda. They all have BART stations and places to eat. Rockridge is more urban than the other places but it's pretty upscale and a lot less dense than anywhere in SF. Not too many apartments though.
Yes, Rockridge is about as perfect as it gets for what she's describing.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:56 AM

8 posts, read 9,888 times
Default A visit to SF in summer 2012

I am visiting San Francisco in June 2012. I would like someone to respond who can advise where I can meet some people in the Fishermans Wharf area.

Thanks,

Max in Louisville, Kentucky. I just joined this posting today.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:49 AM

24,952 posts, read 24,743,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Good post...I was wondering why isn't the OP considering parts of Oakland and Berkeley? Urban but not as urban as SF...and an easier commute.
Very true. OP, FYI: a commute from virtually any part of Oakland or Berkeley is 30 minutes or less via BART or the transbay bus (and virtually every area, besides far up in the hills, is served by a transbay bus within a few blocks). Transbay commuter only line buses run from about 6:30a-9:30a to 4-8p. There are other ones that run all day, or you can take BART.

Walnut Creek: 40 minutes on BART, probably 10-15 minutes to get to BART from your place

Lafayette: 30 minutes on BART, plus 10-15 minutes to get to the BART station
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland