Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2008, 01:13 PM

25 posts, read 60,490 times

Advertisements

Hello and good day to you. I am a Colorado native that has obtained a job with the federal reserve bank in SF. I am very excited to move, but a little nervous trying to find a place.

I've been to SF several times, and the areas that I like are North Beach, Russian Hill, Pacific Heights, and pretty much anything in between. I, do not know the subtle differences in the neighborhoods that make them what they are.

Ideally I would like to move into a neighborhood with other young people, artists and musicians, with beautiful architecture and apartments, while at the same time being a safe and serene neighborhood.

I was thinking North Beach, but on my last trip, I found many of the streets of Columbus Ave. to seem a bit...ugly. Pacific Heights is a little ways from all the action, as perhaps is Russian Hill.

I also would like to know where I can meet some kind people to welcome a person to the city. I will get lonely if I don't have people to hang out with.

One more thing, is there any ASL or deaf culture groups in the city. I am learning ASL and want to practice as mush as I can.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 02:15 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,724,505 times
Check out South Beach / Mission Bay. This area near the Embarcadero (along the bay) and south of Market St., has been developed over the last 10 or 15 years and has newer apartments, lofts, restaurants, bars, etc., therefore the architecture is "new". It's within walking distance of AT&T park, if you like baseball and there is a light rail line there that goes downtown and further west to the beach. This area is upscale and won't be cheap, but much of SF is an expensive place to live .

Old 10-29-2008, 02:49 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,163,011 times
Agree...lots of new buildings in SouthBch area...but have always found area a bit sterile...and too touristy on wkends...

Would suggest looking at RussianHill and CowHollow areas...a bit more of quiet, safe, residential feel w/many 20-30-somethings in neighborhood....would look at stuff convenient to upper Polk St (RussHill), Union St (CowHollow) or Chestnut St (Marina) where many bars/restaurants, etc are located, attracting the local crowd...

Old 10-29-2008, 03:37 PM

25 posts, read 60,490 times
I wasn't very fond of the south beach area. While the apartments I've seen on craigslist in this area look very nice, they seemed to be built between and along with industrial, warehousing, and commercial buildings that made the area seem kind of removed from the glow and charm of the city.

How quickly do apartments last on the market? I will begin working in mid-January, so is it pointless for me to look at any apartments now, expecting a lease to begin the first of January?

Thanks for your input. I well appreciate it.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:09 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,163,011 times
SF region (like rest of US) is heading into a deep recession, so would expect apt availability to be ample and rents to fall in coming mths...

Anecdotally, street crime seems to be increasing in SF (like every other major city)....most who reside in the new condo towers in SoMA (or in houses in upscale parts of PacHts, etc) drive around SF to office, dining, etc, so crime is a non-issue....

But walking around town (esp in dark) increases one's risk exposure to crime....suspect lowest risk of walking around is in the more residential CowHollow/RussHill/PacHts areas, further away from poverty and the usual tourist-directed crimes...

As many who've lived/worked in major urban regions will prob agree, risk of crime is near-zero for those who use common sense in choosing locale of residence; drive, not walk/mass transit, around town if poss; and certainly avoid walking after dark, even in upscale areas....recessions typically entail more street crime and cutbacks in police forces....and SF police are fairly inept in best of economies....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland