Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 01:25 PM

989 posts, read 2,433,632 times

Advertisements

I keep hearing how great SF is...but why is it so great?

From here, all I see is (1) most expensive place in country almost (2) wacky hippie liberals (3) crapload of bums.

What is so great about that? What am I missing there? Is it just a place I need to actually visit to appreciate, the ambience and scenery and people and all that, or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 02:11 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,313,133 times
It has great architecture and topography complimenting each other.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:25 PM

3,721 posts, read 14,690,246 times
You're right about housing in SF being overpriced and the homeless bum population is way out of hand. However there are many nice places around SF and the bay area to visit. It's close to the ocean and the mountains and the weather is great.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:29 PM

718 posts, read 2,683,652 times
bums like the mild winter climate and the dollar bill hand outs as opposed to colder climates in the east and pennies

Old 08-30-2007, 04:10 PM

None of these answers are really explaining to me why SF is so beloved, there is good weather, mountains, and ocean all along the west (and east) coast. So why all the positive attention on SF?

Old 08-30-2007, 05:32 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,281,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
None of these answers are really explaining to me why SF is so beloved, there is good weather, mountains, and ocean all along the west (and east) coast. So why all the positive attention on SF?
Why don't you figure it out for yourself. How is somebody going to explain to you why they feel like they feel? Maybe they just happen to love SF for reasons that cannot be explained. There is a reason it is one of the most famous cities in the world.

Old 08-30-2007, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
Why don't you figure it out for yourself. How is somebody going to explain to you why they feel like they feel? Maybe they just happen to love SF for reasons that cannot be explained. There is a reason it is one of the most famous cities in the world.

That's why I asked in my original post if it was "just a place I need to go visit to understand, or what?"

Old 08-30-2007, 06:18 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,453,403 times
Default Well..

My wife and I are moving there (Bay Area) with our newborn baby, for the following reasons:

1) Urban Life (We used to live in NYC).
2) Progressive, forward thinking city.
3) Culture, arts and diversity.
4) Tech Jobs, we both are software engineers.
5) Great Multilingual schools for our newborn.
6) Green city with lot's of parks.
7) Easy to get to the beaches, mountains and Lake Tahoe.
8) There is a certain intellectual pride and sophistication we like about SF.
9) Mass transit.
10) Good food.

We like SF more than NYC because it has a mixture of Urban and Outdoors you just can't find in NYC. I would say SF has a more integrated lifestyle than NYC or any other place in the US. Different races, sexes, religions all seem to live together, NYC is very segregated.

The above reasons offset the cost of living, bums, liberals...and other negatives you may sum up from the internet.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:13 PM

832 posts, read 3,846,176 times
SF, though has its charms, is somewhat overated.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:17 AM

30,286 posts, read 51,807,958 times
First of all, I do think you need to visit before judging... shouldn't that be said for any place? Now to answer your questions, there are sooooo many great things about SF - the weather (I love fog, btw ), cultural & recreational activities, amazing scenery, proximity to Tahoe & other cool places, beaches, first-class universities, historical sites, diversity, strong job market, open-minded & accepting people, and so on. Of course we have negatives too, like the high cost of living, congestion, traffic/crazy drivers, and others that are typical of a big city. So if you're looking for quiet life & cheap housing, SF wouldn't be your cup of tea... but if you like cities, I personally think San Fran is among the best.

As for the "wacky hippie liberals", that's kinda hard for me to address - considering I'm a proud liberal, and wouldn't consider that a bad thing. But it's not like we're all vegan tree-huggers, and we actually have more yuppies (liberal-leaning) & conservatives than you'd imagine. And finally, the "crapload of bums" is also quite an exaggeration... we do have a bad homelessness problem, but they're typically located in certain neighborhoods - Tenderloin, Mission, Civic Center, etc. Plus they're usually harmless enough, and I've even become friends with a few near my work. Anyway, sorry I've written a novel, but I do think you should see SF at least once!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland