U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 01:40 PM

622 posts, read 844,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
Well, I am basing this on the few times I visited Oakland, plus I rode in 2 bike parties around Oakland. The bike parties go around all over the city of Oakland so I got a real visual sense of the place. But I haven't actually lived there so I could be wrong, but so far, I just don't feel as safe when I am there plus I think SF is just so beautiful.

But I will check out Rockridge and Lake Merritt again (I was at Lake Merritt for Bike Party at night) since you say it is nicer than anywhere in SF. When I do go there, I will let you know what I honestly think. But I find the "nicer than anywhere in SF hard" to believe- I mean I think my neighborhood in SF is pretty awesome and next to world-class attractions- so we'll see. I do hope I will be impressed.
I hope you will be too. For some reason, my SF-centric life really didn't lead me to the area I now live in all that much. That doesn't mean it's not nice. "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?" Yes, it makes a sound. In the same way not having first-hand experience doesn't mean something doesn't exist. You've just yet to experience it.

I lived in San Francisco for years when I was in law school and after I graduated. I'd wander over to Berkeley if I needed something from the library, but that was about it. I came back and lived in the Richmond after moving back from Asia for a couple of months before I moved to NYC.

I had a close friend get married right before I moved abroad. She moved to the East Bay, and I also had friends who went to school with me who lived here too. That meant I'd usually split my Bay Area visits to one week in the East Bay and another in the city. After a few visits and after I'd explored places like Albany, North Berkeley, the Elmwood area of Berkeley, and North Oakland my opinion changed.

I took BART in last night after being in the city for an event. Since I'd taken my bike into the city, I got off at Rockridge Station instead of Ashby or Downtown Berkeley. Even though it was way past dark, it was safe. I'm really happy that I moved here instead of moving back to San Francisco for a third time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 01:44 PM

24,952 posts, read 24,743,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
Well, I am basing this on the few times I visited Oakland, plus I rode in 2 bike parties around Oakland. The bike parties go around all over the city of Oakland so I got a real visual sense of the place. But I haven't actually lived there so I could be wrong, but so far, I just don't feel as safe when I am there plus I think SF is just so beautiful.

But I will check out Rockridge and Lake Merritt again (I was at Lake Merritt for Bike Party at night) since you say it is nicer than anywhere in SF. When I do go there, I will let you know what I honestly think. But I find the "nicer than anywhere in SF hard" to believe- I mean I think my neighborhood in SF is pretty awesome and next to world-class attractions- so we'll see. I do hope I will be impressed.
I agree with mayorhaggar. I feel safer in downtown Oakland than downtown SF by leaps and bounds. Besides the friendly people, nice neighborhoods in Oakland have fewer problems than equivalent areas in SF.

"Lake Merrit" is a big area, and you could either be close to downtown or in Adams Point with lots of Art Deco buildings and 1920s buildgings mixed in with stuff from the 50s and 60s. Or if you are close to the Grand Lake Theater, it is a really cute and vibrant area with a ton of diversity. Or if you head over to Lakeshore, you'll find lots of charming 1920s buildings and waterfront apartments and condos, and my favorite "single family" area in Oakland, Trestle Glen. Beautiful area, looks a lot like Forest Hill in SF. Or you could be in the Lakeside Apartments area, with a lot of old school buildings with doormen and retirement homes. On the east side of the Lake, is less safe than the other areas, and is more like "little Saigon" with a large southeast asian community.

Rockridge = Noe Valley. Piedmont Ave? Not sure, but it is maybe Noe Valley or West Portal. Temescal? Hmm that's more random, it feels like the other neighborhoods but a little more "up and coming."

Lots of the beautiful parts of Oakland are a little off the beaten path, like 1-2 blocks away from the main street. One great secret treasure is the Oakland Rose Garden (when the roses are blooming). I also like the park in the Dimond district, but this is a basic neighborhood, so it isn't really the short of place you'd go just to visit (like going to the Sunset or whatever).

You should check out the Oakland Museum, one of the best museums in the state. Lots to see, and good for people with any interest since it covers history, art, culture and even anthropology.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:05 PM

9,473 posts, read 11,662,610 times
I lived near 14th and 39th, by the hospital, in Oakland. It was a very quiet neighborhood; mostly apartments by the boulevard, and houses behind it. Lots of Vietnamese and Cambodian-Americans, plenty safe, not a whole lot going on; perfectly fine. If you don't feel safe there, you shouldn't leave the house!

That said... I also once lived at San Pablo & Mead. I would never, ever, under ANY circumstances, advise a single woman live there alone. There are still swaths of Oakland that aren't all that safe, and it'd be stupid to argue otherwise... however, these areas are pretty isolated from the safer parts of Oakland, and there's really not any reason that anyone would end up there in the first place unless they lived there.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:37 AM

9,197 posts, read 12,414,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
If you don't feel safe there, you shouldn't leave the house!
But then you'll get squashed by The Big One, and it's the last year of our existence anyway, so what the hell.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:38 AM

5,242 posts, read 10,466,568 times
Downtown Oakland still feels pretty sketchy on a lot of blocks. Get off at the 19th street BART station, walk up to Grand, and walk east to the Lake. Maybe get a burger and fries to go at Trueburger on the way. And go during the daytime when it's not deserted. There is nothing like Lake Merritt in SF. The lake itself is a bit sludgy looking but the architecture all around it is really nice and it's just a nice place to sit and eat a sandwich and watch people walking their pets or jogging by.

Rockridge is alright and its commercial stuff on College is similar to Noe Valley, but try and walk on some of the side streets off College and check out all the great Craftsman bungalows. Not all of them are in tip-top shape but a lot of them have been rehabbed nicely.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:03 AM

306 posts, read 460,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Most of the Peninsula feels like there are more Asians than any other race, San Francisco, Daly City, Millbrae, Foster City, San Mateo, Burlingame, etc. There's so many large Asian grocery stores, you can find them in Foster City, Daly City, San Francisco etc. East Bay to me feels like the majority of the people are Hispanic and African American.
There are a lot, i mean a lot of Asians in the east bay too.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:08 AM

24,952 posts, read 24,743,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnofresno View Post
There are a lot, i mean a lot of Asians in the east bay too.
The east bay just has less white people. Considering SF, San MAteo and Santa Clara county's are about 3-7% black, it doesn't take much for it to seem like it has more black people.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:35 PM

10 posts, read 15,217 times
Thanks again, everyone, for your valuable input. 415_s2k and mini_cute - thanks for your detailed information. It helps a lot to read opinions of people having lived in both NYC and Bay area. My Feb. trip will give me a good idea of SF and Oakland.

Does anyone have any advice on getting to know people and making some friends in Bay area? I read some threads and it seems it's not easy to meet people, let alone getting to know them and becoming friends. I mean the mature ones, not those 20 something who are into bars and night life every day type.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:30 AM

506 posts, read 890,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xinyun View Post
Does anyone have any advice on getting to know people and making some friends in Bay area? I read some threads and it seems it's not easy to meet people, let alone getting to know them and becoming friends. I mean the mature ones, not those 20 something who are into bars and night life every day type.
If you have any hobbies or special interests, join clubs or visit hangouts or take classes based on that. There will be other newcomers to the area, there, looking for friends too.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:31 AM

53,409 posts, read 67,745,220 times
u r guna love it. just love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland