U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-30-2011, 09:53 AM
nyt nyt started this thread

1 posts, read 1,952 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My boyfriend and I are looking to move out of SF due to high rent and are wondering if the Richmond area around the Richmond Bart station is safe (94801 zip code). We use to live in Oakland for a few months so we understand the whole "some areas are better than other," so we're not into buying the "whole area is dangerous" line of thought.

Our biggest priority is finding something new a bart station, because we have no cars and we work in San Francisco.

Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 01:41 PM

8,044 posts, read 10,039,382 times
Instead of Central Richmond I'd recommend the other (East) side of I-80. Yes it's more expensive but not by much, and the atmosphere is much less tense. Just north of El Cerrito Del Norte station is ideal given no cars.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:50 PM

622 posts, read 433,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyt View Post
Hi everyone,

My boyfriend and I are looking to move out of SF due to high rent and are wondering if the Richmond area around the Richmond Bart station is safe (94801 zip code). We use to live in Oakland for a few months so we understand the whole "some areas are better than other," so we're not into buying the "whole area is dangerous" line of thought.

Our biggest priority is finding something new a bart station, because we have no cars and we work in San Francisco.

Thank you!
I don't live in Richmond; I live in Berkeley. However, I had to search for a new place recently and chose to head up to that area to see a room for rent.

Honestly? It didn't seem bad, but there wasn't a lot there in terms of commercial development. That's a concern when you're thinking about groceries, drugstores, cafes and the like. The area might be at the first stages of a turn-around, but I'm a freelancer. That just means I want a coffee house and some cafes nearby within a 5 to 10 minute range (by bike is fine).

I noticed that right by the station there are new apartment or maybe condo developments, so folks are there. It was just after seeing the place (this place was further out in the hills) and checking on Google Maps for commute times into the city, I decided to pass on the area and drew the line pretty much at North Berkeley because I don't want longer than a 45 minute or so commute into the city.

Also, for areas that I don't know, I use this site to find the basic demographics. Here's the link for the zip code you posted: http://www.city-data.com/zips/94801.html

Old 12-30-2011, 03:19 PM

25,291 posts, read 33,026,650 times
The area bordered by Cutting, 23rd, Barrett and I-80 is okay too imo--not casting aspersions as that area has crime and what not, but street smarts should be okay......As far as right by the BART station, the area immediately south of the station is decent imo.

Also, as someone suggested, its also okay to search along San Pablo Av around San Pablo and El Cerrito as the BART station there is probably better as far as amenities and nearby things.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:30 PM

5,245 posts, read 6,881,040 times
I know some people who live in Richmond, basically in the SE area of it I guess, in the hills, they really like it a lot. They drive to the El Cerrito Del Norte BART station to go to work. The coastal areas of Richmond are decent too, there's Point Richmond in the NW section and also in SW Richmond there's a lot of condos by the bay.

That said, you are pretty definitely going to want a car if you live somewhere like Richmond, it is suburban and spread out. Really the only places you can live without a car are Oakland, Berkeley and SF. I'd look into Oakland, you can probably get a 1 bedroom for around $1000-1100 a month somewhere like the Temescal or around Lake Merritt, or squeeze into a studio for less.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:07 PM

17,323 posts, read 12,243,556 times
There are more areas in Berkeley and Oakland (and Albany and even El Cerrito) that I'd rather live in than live over there. You are close to BART, but that's it. There isn't much to do or much commercial stuff. I hear there is a great cafe in Point Richmond, but frankly, you'll just be leaving the area all the time for fun, going out etc. There's Ranch 99 and the Asian mall and crappy Hilltop mall where chain restaurants have armed guards.

Other areas will give you a better commute and better access to amenities. I have some friends with cheap rentals in El Cerrito. Much nicer. And you can take the transbay bus with wifi from El Cerrito -- so you can get work done on your commute.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:26 PM

25,291 posts, read 33,026,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
I know some people who live in Richmond, basically in the SE area of it I guess, in the hills, they really like it a lot. They drive to the El Cerrito Del Norte BART station to go to work. The coastal areas of Richmond are decent too, there's Point Richmond in the NW section and also in SW Richmond there's a lot of condos by the bay.

That said, you are pretty definitely going to want a car if you live somewhere like Richmond, it is suburban and spread out. Really the only places you can live without a car are Oakland, Berkeley and SF. I'd look into Oakland, you can probably get a 1 bedroom for around $1000-1100 a month somewhere like the Temescal or around Lake Merritt, or squeeze into a studio for less.
Yeah, not even talking about crime, it is a suburban environment and while technically walkable, a car would be better.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:56 PM

14 posts, read 23,646 times
The area near del norte station don't look that bad but the other side of i80 is another story

Old 01-09-2012, 12:49 AM

4,579 posts, read 4,735,929 times
Skip richmond, the nicest part of town is near a nasty industrial site that isolates it from the rest of town.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:11 AM

341 posts, read 531,651 times
What’s The Most Dangerous City in America? | NewsFeed | TIME.com

In 2010 Richmond, California was listed as the #6 most dangerous city in the United States. They were beat out by gems such as Detroit, Camden, and Flint.

But, yes, I definitely agree with you that "some areas are better than others." Good luck. I hear the Hilltop Mall is cool. About 90% of the shops in the place had to shut down due to safety reasons. Check it out though. I hear Micky Ds and the a sneaker shop is still there. Shots were fired inside the mall around Chrstimas time when those Air Jordans made their debut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland