Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2011, 11:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,410 times

Advertisements

This is my first post on here. I am a first year art teacher in Pennsylvania. Although I am new into my career and VERY grateful to have an art teaching job, I realize that while I am young and have nothing to tie me down I need to travel and pursue my dreams (and nicer weather!) My dream has been to move to the west for many years, and I have been following teaching jobs in CA for about a year now. They are more plentiful there, but California is so large and it's hard to focus on a specific area to narrow my search.

What are the best places to live in your opinions? I have been looking at San Diego, LA County, San Fran, and I am interested in Lake Tahoe area. I also was debating whether or not to just move out there during the summer, and begin to sub and network next year, possibly get a resort or serving job......instead of doing the jobhunt on the internet from Pennsylvania. Any advice? Any art teachers who know about the market out there? If you have also relocated I would really appreciate some guidance, because I want to plan and anticipate everything before taking the plunge!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 05:57 PM

77 posts, read 316,862 times
As a teacher, I can tell you that many art jobs are being cut out here. Many teachers are out of work and those are the ones being rehired most of the time. Last year I tried to find a subbing job and was rejected because I didn't have enough experience, although I was in a credential program and had years of paid experience working in classrooms. At this time, I would NOT move and then look for a teaching job. I would only move if I knew I had one lined up.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:40 PM

14 posts, read 19,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac09 View Post
This is my first post on here. I am a first year art teacher in Pennsylvania. Although I am new into my career and VERY grateful to have an art teaching job, I realize that while I am young and have nothing to tie me down I need to travel and pursue my dreams (and nicer weather!) My dream has been to move to the west for many years, and I have been following teaching jobs in CA for about a year now. They are more plentiful there, but California is so large and it's hard to focus on a specific area to narrow my search.

What are the best places to live in your opinions? I have been looking at San Diego, LA County, San Fran, and I am interested in Lake Tahoe area. I also was debating whether or not to just move out there during the summer, and begin to sub and network next year, possibly get a resort or serving job......instead of doing the jobhunt on the internet from Pennsylvania. Any advice? Any art teachers who know about the market out there? If you have also relocated I would really appreciate some guidance, because I want to plan and anticipate everything before taking the plunge!

Thanks!
I am not sure what you have decided, but there are jobs out there. I say if you want to move, go for it!! Try to sub and get your foot in the door. I am currently an art teacher in St Louis. We are moving to Pitt and I will be looking for a job. Do you know of any openings? Maybe yours? Good luck!!

Old 03-23-2012, 09:11 AM

1,651 posts, read 3,697,189 times
Can you narrow down your list of must haves/likes/hates for where you live? California is so huge that you can find pretty much any economic, political, social, cultural, climate, etc, area imaginable.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:56 AM

71 posts, read 340,694 times
The state budget is still pretty bad despite there being some degree of economic recovery in the state. If the proposed ballot measures pass in November, there probably will be a revival of arts programs in school districts that eliminated them. Until then school districts are preparing for it to not pass, which would mean some further cuts. There probably will be a few art teacher positions listed across the state. You can take a look at Ed Join which is a website listing school jobs around the state. Some of the larger school districts use their own job boards. There are some school districts that have passed local property tax measures to fund the arts and other things to enhance their schools, but the proposition 13 law makes it tough to pass them, as a 66% vote is needed for most new taxes in California.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:01 AM

388 posts, read 1,016,847 times
Do not move unless you have a job lined up. Do you know hoe expensive SF is? Please be prepared before making decisions.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:57 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
We're handing out pink slips to teachers up here. Not a good year for relocating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland