U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-25-2012, 11:57 AM

1,066 posts, read 919,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtoSF View Post
Honestly, this may seem crazy but you're probably better off moving to NYC. The rents right now in SF city are crazy, and you don't want to move to some crap place like Oakland.

I used to work in Finance until like a week ago and had a similar salary starting out. You can live on $60K easily if you move to Roosevelt Island near Manhattan. Plus lots of single, clean-cut guys here (no homo) who aren't hippies or call themselves "progressive".
As a resident of NYC who happens to frequent the Bay Area a lot, all I have to say is that while the Bay Area might be bad in terms of housing costs, NYC is absolutely the worst in the US. When studios for $2,000 are actually not that uncommon, you've got issues. Try buying anywhere in Manhattan apart from East Harlem and the far northern reaches of the island and you're almost a shoe in for $1.5m+. Add that to the additional city tax of around 3% that you won't find in SF proper and you've got yourself a nightmare, even with higher salaries. At the same time, wouldn't trade living in NYC for anything, so it's really a lifestyle decision.

By the way, Roosevelt Island sucks, no matter how much development gets on there. The crack addicts on gurneys rolling around certainly don't do much to help the situation, and you have to use the F…
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 01:01 PM

507 posts, read 488,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Sadly, when I graduated high school I had a whole list of cities to settle in. I have pretty much eliminated all of them due to something. Nowhere is left on the list. I am going to have to build a new list, but since I don't like the snow, most of the US is out.

Original list:
Seattle: too gloomy
Phoenix: too much crazy politics
Miami: Hurricanes
LA: traffic and sprawl
Bay Area: expensive

Where is there left for me to live? I need an NBA team, no snow, and diversity. I might have to reconsider Miami and LA.
I hear you. If I couldn't afford S.F. (and who knows how long I will be able to!) I'd be out of luck.

Some other places you might consider:
Portland, OR
Washington D.C.
Sacramento
New Orleans
Atlanta

Not sure if diversity would be high enough in Portland or Sacramento.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:05 PM

3,045 posts, read 4,181,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isebiel View Post
I hear you. If I couldn't afford S.F. (and who knows how long I will be able to!) I'd be out of luck.

Portland, OR
Washington D.C.
Sacramento
New Orleans
Atlanta

FYI...Sacramento is one of the most diverse cities in California.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:27 PM

507 posts, read 488,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Cool. Good to know.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:42 PM

2 posts, read 5,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Yes! If it wasn't for my current situation (my partner's long term career is in the bay area) I would love to live in Sacramento (especially Midtown) again!

Old 01-26-2012, 05:59 AM

29 posts, read 90,167 times
Thanks everyone for the discussion around this topic. I did get an offer after the job interview, but unfortunately they were only offering $62,000, no relocation help. I just didn't think that was going to be enough for me to live comfortably, based on my current bills, etc. so I turned it down. Maybe some people will think that is crazy, but based on how competitive the rental market is out there and how good I have it here, with a spacious condo that I own, with a 5 minute drive to work, I thought it was best to wait for a better opportunity.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:13 AM

15,486 posts, read 9,555,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb0624 View Post
Thanks everyone for the discussion around this topic. I did get an offer after the job interview, but unfortunately they were only offering $62,000, no relocation help. I just didn't think that was going to be enough for me to live comfortably, based on my current bills, etc. so I turned it down. Maybe some people will think that is crazy, but based on how competitive the rental market is out there and how good I have it here, with a spacious condo that I own, with a 5 minute drive to work, I thought it was best to wait for a better opportunity.
You'll definitely afford a much nicer lifestyle in Charlotte.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:17 PM

218 posts, read 226,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isebiel View Post

Portland, OR
Washington D.C.
Sacramento
New Orleans
Atlanta

Portland, OR is much too White for the Queen of Diversity

Old 01-27-2012, 05:55 PM

15,486 posts, read 9,555,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtoSF View Post
Portland, OR is much too White for the Queen of Diversity
I've never been there. Some of my friends enjoyed it. I found Seattle nice, but too segregated for me to live there. I imagine Portland is the same. And the weather sucks.

Altlanta is the same in my book. Too segregated. I know there are loads of middle clase + black people. But that just means trading a diverse neighborhood for one where everyone looks like me. Not what I want.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,815 times
Thanks for posting this. I'm in a similar situation. However, my base will be prolly 70k and have a yearly bonus of 20-30%. I'm looking to move from DC to SF, so the cost of living isn't as insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland