U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 05:22 PM

3,597 posts, read 12,236,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
'Cause you're moving to the land of Kumbaya, celebrating their diversity and political correctness. You're entitled to your opinion only so long as it's the same as everyone else's, you love everybody and especially trees (hugs) and animals (they're people too), tofu and bean sprouts, and San Francisco is the queen of progressiveness. Whatever you do, don't be honest about your preferences. Phony, plastic, right-think and right-speak are the order of the day.
Curmy is right! You will find the Bay Area to be a loony bin of liberal/progressive thought. Diversity is high on the list. Tolerence is also high on the list - except in your case. If a Black, Asian or gay person wants to live in a Black, Asian or gay neighborhood, that's OK. But if you want to live in an all white neighborhood, watch out! I don't think any of the people who have posted so far live in a ghetto. If they don't want to live in a ghetto, why should you?

Check out South Beach / Mission Bay This area is within walking distance of the Caltrain station and a freeway entrance going south to Palo Alto. There is also light rail in the neighborhood for going elsewhere within San Francisco. This area is expensive but you live in NYC and it shouldn't be a shock to you.

In the long run, it would be cheaper to live near Palo Alto and visit SF on your off time - but I get it, you want the clubs and urban vibe. Good luck!

Last edited by humboldtrat; 01-06-2012 at 05:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 05:46 PM

5,242 posts, read 10,464,653 times

Old 01-06-2012, 06:47 PM

218 posts, read 390,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwstrnkid View Post
A cab from the Marina to Palo Alto?

Assuming 38 miles door-to-door, the rate would be

( $3.50 base rate + (38 mi * $2.75/mi) ) * 150% (going > 15 mi outside city limits) = $162 one-way + $0.55/min of waiting time + tip.

Don't think that you want to take a cab back and forth between SF and Palo Alto...
Ok. Scratch that. Transportation seems to be pretty expensive in SF. I took a cab from SF airport to Palo Alto and it was like $100. Insane. Does almost everyone own a car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Keep in mind the Mission and Mission Bay are two completely different neighborhoods...

Based on what you've listed here, I imagine you'd like the Marina or some parts of SOMA (South Beach) or Mission Bay. Both are neighborhoods with upper class people and seem to be the most friendly to those coming from the parts of NYC you're describing. The housing between the two is completely different: Marina is mostly houses and SOMA/Mission Bay/South Beach is mostly new luxury condos. There are advantages/disadvantages to both areas, but I imagine these are what you're looking for.

P.S. as others have said, neigborhoods are more broken down by class (i.e. people (of all races) with money live in nice places, and those without it, not so much...) rather than race here...I would try to erase some of the prejudgments you might have before you get here. Your opinions are your opinions (of course), but just letting you know things are a bit different here than back east.
What are the advantages/disadvantages of both areas? I think access to public transportation is most important to me at this point -- since I'm new and haven't driven in years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
Curmy is right! You will find the Bay Area to be a loony bin of liberal/progressive thought. Diversity is high on the list. Tolerence is also high on the list - except in your case. If a Black, Asian or gay person wants to live in a Black, Asian or gay neighborhood, that's OK. But if you want to live in an all white neighborhood, watch out! I don't think any of the people who have posted so far live in a ghetto. If they don't want to live in a ghetto, why should you?

Check out South Beach / Mission Bay This area is within walking distance of the Caltrain station and a freeway entrance going south to Palo Alto. There is also light rail in the neighborhood for going elsewhere within San Francisco. This area is expensive but you live in NYC and it shouldn't be a shock to you.

In the long run, it would be cheaper to live near Palo Alto and visit SF on your off time - but I get it, you want the clubs and urban vibe. Good luck!
What's Palo Alto like? When I visited for the interview it seemed like a sleepy little town with not much going on.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:04 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,928,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtoSF View Post
Thanks a lot. I'll definitely cancel Mission off my list then. You mentioned getting to and from SF-Palo Alto might be hard from Marina. How much would a cab cost?

Also, in general, is buying a car necessary in the Bay Area? I haven't really driven much over the past 8 years.
I don't really understand why you actually want to live in the City? It doesn't really sound like a good match to me. A cab? Not really feasible here.

Public transportation isn't going to get you to Palo Alto very easily and the surrounding area seems more akin to your "needs"

Old 01-06-2012, 07:26 PM

218 posts, read 390,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
I don't really understand why you actually want to live in the City? It doesn't really sound like a good match to me. A cab? Not really feasible here.

Public transportation isn't going to get you to Palo Alto very easily and the surrounding area seems more akin to your "needs"
What do you mean? Why isn't it a good match? I've lived in Manhattan for the past 4 years and I want as similar an experience as possible in SF.

Like I mentioned, Palo Alto seems kinda boring for a guy like me, I'm not really an outsdoorsy kinda guy -- I need to be able to go out to bars/lounges/night clubs to have fun.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:33 PM

506 posts, read 889,851 times
Quote:
Ok. Scratch that. Transportation seems to be pretty expensive in SF. I took a cab from SF airport to Palo Alto and it was like $100. Insane. Does almost everyone own a car?
Nah, not that many car owners. Most people who work out in Palo Alto use the corporate shuttles.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:26 PM

5,986 posts, read 2,835,752 times
Quote:
No, most people in the city don't own a car (however, there are more car owners in SF than in NYC because transit isn't as good in SF and it's easier to drive/park here than in NYC (although, not by much)). Keep in mind, that is a really far distance. Imagine taking a cab from NYC 25-35 miles away! That would easily be over $100.

Quote:
What are the advantages/disadvantages of both areas? I think access to public transportation is most important to me at this point -- since I'm new and haven't driven in years.
If you want to be near the transportation that will get you to Palo Alto, you'll want to be near the caltrain station (4th and King). This puts you in the SOMA/South Beach/Mission Bay areas, and probably eliminates living in the Marina as an option for you. This proximity to caltrain is probably the biggest "pro" for that area of town (and is a big reason why the area attracts so many young silican valley workers). Also, the luxury condos are a pro for some people (if you can afford it, and you like that kind of living). However, that area of town has only been recently redeveloped in the last 15 years, or so, and as such doesn't have as much of a neighborhood feel as other areas of town (like the marina).

Quote:
What's Palo Alto like? When I visited for the interview it seemed like a sleepy little town with not much going on.
I work at Stanford and Palo Alto is pretty dull compared to any major city. It's essentially a suburb with a small-ish downtown that has some good restaurants/couple bars. But beyond eating out or going to happy hour after work, there aren't too many other options. You would think it would be a college town and have some life to it, but for the most part the energy of Stanford doesn't really blend into the downtown at all (this initially surprised me when I first moved to the area). And once you get away from the main drag, the town is very car-centric.

Also, it's kind of important to ask: where in Palo Alto will your job be? If it's near downtown Palo Alto, taking public transit from SF will not be bad. However, if it's further away (say, sand hill road near interstate 280), you might have a pretty hell-ish commute consisting of some sort of bike/bus connection. You might want to check if your perspective employer offers some sort of shuttle from the station (or possibly SF).

Last edited by HockeyMac18; 01-06-2012 at 08:35 PM..

Old 01-06-2012, 08:29 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,390,209 times
Palo Alto is a boring, sleepy town. The closest thing to Manhattan is in SF city and the aforementioned neighborhoods of Marina, Mission Bay, South Beach and parts of Soma are the closest to what you are seeking.

You don't need a car if you live in SF city in the urban parts, but transit is not as good as in NYC so a good percentage of people have cars here. Having a car here will increase your experience of living in the SF Bay area greatly by being able to go to more places in and around the city, but it is not necessary especially since you aren't into doing outdoorsy things.

People don't take taxis here to go to places on the peninsula. They drive, ride their company shuttle or take the Caltrain. It is expensive and also much harder to hail a taxi here than SF.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:35 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,390,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
No, most people in the city don't own a car.
I actually think it is the other way around- most people own a car. Here are some stats on transportation use at link below:

In transit-first San Francisco, cars still rule the road | Will Reisman | Transportation | San Francisco Examiner

Old 01-06-2012, 08:41 PM

5,986 posts, read 2,835,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
I actually think it is the other way around- most people own a car. Here are some stats on transportation use at link below:

In transit-first San Francisco, cars still rule the road | Will Reisman | Transportation | San Francisco Examiner
Interesting, I never knew that. I made the mistake of using my friends/people I know in SF as a sample size, and only 1 (out of 10) owns a car...then again, I have some bias since my friends are young and live in the most dense/hip areas of town. My mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland