U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 05:16 PM

218 posts, read 390,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
I'm pretty sure if you went to the NYC forum and said you didn't want to live in a black neighborhood you'd get flak. I call BS on this topic. I can't imagine someone could live somewhere like NYC and assume that other major cities like SF were dangerous and "ghetto," especially neighborhoods like Noe Valley which you could look up in the space of 5 seconds.
Look at it this way -- I live on the Upper East Side currently, for the most part it's a nice neighborhood. If an out-of-towner asked me for my opinion on the neighborhood, I would tell them it was pretty good but to avoid living above 96th Street -- again for obvious reasons.

That's the kind of feedback I'm looking for -- I don't think that's unfair or racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 07:06 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,390,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwalton View Post
It's not about PC vs. not being PC. It's about right and wrong. We've got a Harvard law educated black president and his Harvard law educated wife. I'm a law grad, have lived and traveled all over and have my own business. My friends are black, Latino, Asian and white lawyers, teachers, corporate types, business owner and doctors.
PC is inherently about adhering to what is right and I was just telling this dude that he can't get away with statements like that here. Really, in NYC you can say the most terrible things (that are wrong) and get away with it- I've witnessed such things firsthand. Not that people are saying racists things all the time, but occasionally a racist remark will slip or a sexist term will be used on a woman, people may cringe for a moment, but then they think "this is New York" and go about their business. Whereas here people tend to hang onto it much longer and feel a need to set someone straight.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:18 PM

23,571 posts, read 27,965,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
PC is inherently about adhering to what is right...
Not! PC is about right-think and right-speak but that doesn't even come close to what is right. It's about huggy feel-goods and an air of superiority for being "progressive." It reminds me of the 60s, "Some of my best friends are (insert flavor here).

Old 01-07-2012, 07:21 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,390,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Not! PC is about right-think and right-speak but that doesn't even come close to what is right. It's about huggy feel-goods and an air of superiority for being "progressive." It reminds me of the 60s, "Some of my best friends are (insert flavor here).
LOL, ok Curmudgeon. I agree in the sense that what is deemed "right" is determined by society and sometimes that can be really flawed.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:48 PM

23,571 posts, read 27,965,607 times
Quote:
LOL, ok Curmudgeon. I agree in the sense that what is deemed "right" is determined by society and sometimes that can be really flawed.
Next up, define "society." But I don't want to even go there. Too many variables.

"Flawed" is the human condition, dontcha know.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:11 PM

622 posts, read 844,069 times
Quote:
PC is inherently about adhering to what is right and I was just telling this dude that he can't get away with statements like that here. Really, in NYC you can say the most terrible things (that are wrong) and get away with it- I've witnessed such things firsthand. Not that people are saying racists things all the time, but occasionally a racist remark will slip or a sexist term will be used on a woman, people may cringe for a moment, but then they think "this is New York" and go about their business. Whereas here people tend to hang onto it much longer and feel a need to set someone straight.
Yeah, and I lived in NYC too. I also go back there every few weeks. I call people on that b.s. as do other people I know. Maybe part of the problem is a lot of people are quick to give someone the side-eye silently but won't call them out. When it comes to both culture and behavior social proof matters. That's why it's important to let people know when what they've said is inappropriate.

Also, that "only in New York" stuff is, mostly, garbage and not true. There are things like the vibrancy of the place and the talent that there that can't be matched. However, that has nothing to do with staying silent when someone says something moronic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I completely agree. PC is not about what's right. It's about keeping up appearances.

Honestly? Calling people out is the antithesis of PC. Too bad people confuse the two.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:00 AM

24,952 posts, read 24,743,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtoSF View Post
Look at it this way -- I live on the Upper East Side currently, for the most part it's a nice neighborhood. If an out-of-towner asked me for my opinion on the neighborhood, I would tell them it was pretty good but to avoid living above 96th Street -- again for obvious reasons.

That's the kind of feedback I'm looking for -- I don't think that's unfair or racist.
It is when you say "I don't want to live by blacks or latinos." Sorry....if you said: "I want to live in a nice neighborhood with the following amenities, where should I look."

You would have found the answers a lot more helpful. Rule number 1 about CA: Racism and discrimination is not overt and obvious.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:55 AM

14,934 posts, read 4,146,597 times
To answer the guy's question:

In addition to Mission Bay, which others have suggested, you might like:

1. The Marina
2. Cow Hollow
3. Pacific Heights (might skew a little too old for you, but it's the wealthiest area)
4. West Portal (nice little shopping street with a village atmosphere, but not a lot of condos/apts. available)
5. Jordan Park

#1 and #2 have the youngest demographics and the most singles.
#3 might skew a little too old for you, but it's the wealthiest area.
#4 has a nice shopping street with a village atmosphere and is close to Muni Metro, but it's mostly single family houses with only a few apartments/condos.

Noe Valley might be a little too funky/ethnic for you and doesn't have the same vibe as the upper East Side.

I think you should make your final decision based on proximity to your company's shuttle bus stops because taking a cab is hellishly expensive and inconvenient, and CalTrans doesn't take you near enough to where you'll be working.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:27 AM

140 posts, read 347,901 times
Wow, better drop the racist stuff before landing here. Not cool at all. Cow Hollow and Marina was where I was for for several years, also lived Murray Hill area in NYC also several years. What race and non-hipster group of people are you trying to surround yourself with specifically? Personally I love diversity, and that is major reason moved to bay area, however, found that people cluster with their own kind in SF more than expected. We could not even find schools for our kids with a good diversity, almost all the schools have more than 50% of one race.

If decide on Palo Alto nearer to work, there are some major demographic differences between East Palo Alto and Palo Alto.

In SF, commute options are from Mission Bay Caltrain Depot or 22nd Street Potrero Hill / Dog Patch neighborhoods, and are only good options for commuting to Palo Alto.

Last edited by Jasmine658; 01-08-2012 at 11:41 AM..

Old 01-08-2012, 07:41 PM

218 posts, read 390,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
To answer the guy's question:

In addition to Mission Bay, which others have suggested, you might like:

1. The Marina
2. Cow Hollow
3. Pacific Heights (might skew a little too old for you, but it's the wealthiest area)
4. West Portal (nice little shopping street with a village atmosphere, but not a lot of condos/apts. available)
5. Jordan Park

#1 and #2 have the youngest demographics and the most singles.
#3 might skew a little too old for you, but it's the wealthiest area.
#4 has a nice shopping street with a village atmosphere and is close to Muni Metro, but it's mostly single family houses with only a few apartments/condos.

Noe Valley might be a little too funky/ethnic for you and doesn't have the same vibe as the upper East Side.

I think you should make your final decision based on proximity to your company's shuttle bus stops because taking a cab is hellishly expensive and inconvenient, and CalTrans doesn't take you near enough to where you'll be working.
Yes to your last point. I'm going to find out exactly what the shuttle stops are tomorrow and then decide accordingly.

Thanks for answering my question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland