U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 11:53 AM

25,014 posts, read 24,820,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentmum View Post
Thanks for posting this Jade. A breath of fresh air. The links within the article were worth following in themselves. I had no idea there was a Michelin starred restaurant on Piedmont Avenue and it was great to read up about all the other restaurants too.
Commis is out of my budget. But I really like Hawker Fare.
Quote:
The article itself was pretty funny though I thought. Not quite sure about no 4. London as a recommendation for checking out the British version of the occupy encampment? LOL.
I also laughed at No 20, Space. And if you really want to spend your hard earned cash on a nice holiday, please don't go to 19. Birmingham England...(sorry Birmingham).I would recommend 12. Glasgow though or 31. the entire country of Wales!
This was hysterical wasn't it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 11:59 AM

25,014 posts, read 24,820,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
They are so predictable
Yup.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:43 PM

30,825 posts, read 49,276,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
NYT deleted the Chronicle email about how getting sucked into a black hole on a wayward private space flight is better than alighting anywhere in that horrible den of malice called Oakland.
Hahahahaha....I wouldnt be surprised.

Dear New York Times,
Oakland sucks.

Sincerely,
The San Francisco Chronicle

Old 01-08-2012, 08:43 AM

500 posts, read 868,131 times
OK, ok, let's not get all stereotypical here and assume that everyone across the bridge has some kind of Oakland-directed superiority complex and wishes everyone and everything there ill.

I, for one, am happy to see Oakland get recognition and be able to hop BART, not a plane, to get to the top NYT-picked US destination in 2012.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:40 PM

5,718 posts, read 13,540,923 times
It says a lot about the Chronicle that their "news" is just superficial commentary on others newspapers' work.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:00 PM

5,242 posts, read 10,482,578 times
The Chron has really been bad lately about letting blogs substitute for news. Also they're yet another stupid media outlet that allowed themselves into being bullied by conservatives into giving an undeserved editorial blog job to a trollish Republican, namely that Cinnamon Stillwell woman. Who the hell in the Bay Area wants to read a bunch of neocon crap like what she writes? Then there was the Examiner which had its opinion pages stuffed with a bunch of GOP conspiracy theorists for all three Republicans in San Francisco to read. But I think they were bought out by some Canadian company recently and might have wisely jettisoned that. I dunno about you but if I was going to operate a newspaper in the Bay Area, I wouldn't seriously consider loading it up with whiny Republican editorials as a good marketing strategy. "Here, read our newspaper and have some lardass from Texas in a bow tie tell you that you're stupid."

Old 01-08-2012, 08:26 PM

I don't think the Chronicle necessarily needs my apology for it, but as a subscriber, I can say that the printed copy is not bad. Yes, it has a lot of other bits from various news sources, it does have mostly unreadable crap by Debra J, but for whatever reason I find it enjoyable enough to pay actual money for the information that can be had for free. And apparently I'm not the only one who finds it useful, just yesterday someone took my copy from the porch. Of course, I can't be sure that it was actually going to be read, but for whatever reason between Friday's and Saturday's copy laying next to each other only the latter one was grabbed.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:59 PM

5,242 posts, read 10,482,578 times
Eh it was probably your local SF bum needing some t.p. And Cinnamon Stillwell isn't on the Chron anymore, it's that Debra whatshernuts woman they have now to spam GOP talking points into it for no reason other than to make all five Bay Area hard core Republicans feel good about themselves.

And if anything the printed Chronicle is worse than the online one, it is just such a useless newspaper. I go on sfgate to check local news everyday but if there's something interesting I can get it on their front page instead of having to dig through 50 pages of useless fluff and ad inserts.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:52 PM

4,577 posts, read 7,135,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Eh it was probably your local SF bum needing some t.p. And Cinnamon Stillwell isn't on the Chron anymore, it's that Debra whatshernuts woman they have now to spam GOP talking points into it for no reason other than to make all five Bay Area hard core Republicans feel good about themselves.

And if anything the printed Chronicle is worse than the online one, it is just such a useless newspaper. I go on sfgate to check local news everyday but if there's something interesting I can get it on their front page instead of having to dig through 50 pages of useless fluff and ad inserts.

You're probably the only person on the planet that is mad because the Chronicle has one token conservative writing for the paper. I take it you've never read the Wall Street Journal...

Old 01-09-2012, 12:55 AM

I've really tried to give Debra J's stuff an honest try. More than once. Trying to keep an open mind and all. But given the choice, I'd rather suffer through the WSJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland