U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2012, 06:21 PM

6,920 posts, read 10,889,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Please, downtown Oakland is still really scruffy and feels seedy on a lot of blocks. Nobody would go there at all if it was nothing but blocks of shuttered wig shops and seedy liquor stores like there still are on some blocks, and if there weren't places like Trueburger and the Trappist which are pretty low-key compared with similar places in SF. The new condos would be kind of annoying but it's an area that still needs a lot of redevelopment, and they're generally still cheap enough that they aren't only attracting the kinds of people who can afford the exorbitant condo prices in SF.

Gentrification is a double edged sword but I don't think anyone wants Oakland to be decrepit with a high crime rate instead of a declining crime rate and redevelopment. If you compare downtown Oakland with the sterile hellhole that is the Mission Bay/Eastern SOMA condo area in SF, there's no comparison, dt Oakland and the Lake Merritt area are way the hell more down to earth.

That's not my point... my point is that there's been a restaurant scene in Oakland... College Avenue, Lakeshore Avenue, MacArthur Blvd, Piedmont Avenue, Grand Avenue, (to an extent) Telegraph Avenue, etc. have BEEN there. Downtown used to be a lot more decrepit, but Oakland was never devoid of a culinary or arts scene. So why is it gaining attention for it now? You tell me.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 06:34 PM

5,242 posts, read 10,464,653 times
You were talking about downtown Oakland. Downtown Oakland has a buzz about it. Those other areas don't and have places that have been open for like 20 to 40 years or more. Nobody in a gossipy local rag or a nearsighted national newspaper is going to talk about a neighborhood like Rockridge or Piedmont Ave that has been established for like 70 years or so when they could be talking about brand-new Michelin-rated restaurants in a revitalizing area.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:37 PM

To put it another way, why is it that it takes neighborhoods and cities getting "discovered" by yuppies for the rest of America to catch on? It's as if the mainstream media only recognizes the value of something when a "chosen" demographic in America recognizes it. Otherwise, it's ignored and often belittled, particularly if its where a lot of minorities live. The Mission for example was not seen as a trendy neighborhood until yuppies said it was... it was seen as a ghetto. The same is happening right as this very moment with Fruitvale and West Oakland. Downtown was largely built into what it is today by the yuppie population, and I have no issue with that... they contributed a lot to making a lot of DT Oakland be a very nice place to be. My issue is that it overshadows all the other areas in Oakland seemingly just because it's where the most yuppies live. The only neighborhoods you ever hear mentioned when it comes to Oakland are Downtown, Jack London Square, Temescal and Rockridge. It's as if the rest of the city does not exist for some people.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:39 PM

284 posts, read 341,865 times
Commis is the star rated place in Oakland and isn't it right on Piedmont ave?

Old 01-09-2012, 07:31 PM

30,801 posts, read 49,196,062 times
Commis is on Piedmont Av. Yes.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:51 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,609,966 times
In the case of Oakland, 'interesting' is not a good thing.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:55 PM

30,801 posts, read 49,196,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
In the case of Oakland, 'interesting' is not a good thing.
Why not?

Old 01-09-2012, 10:11 PM

70 posts, read 102,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
To put it another way, why is it that it takes neighborhoods and cities getting "discovered" by yuppies for the rest of America to catch on?
I think it's simpler than a "yuppie-approved" stamp. Trendy newspapers love trendy restaurants, and Oakland has seen a trendy restaurant explosion. Wood Tavern and Baywolf cater to the older crowd, and while delicious, are not "cool." Ever been to Mua? They serve mac 'n' cheese and have a DJ, and I didn't see anyone over the age of 40. Servers at Boot 'n' Shoe are hard to distinguish from the dining crowd since they dress in jeans and tees, and there is nary a white tablecloth to be seen. Throw in Art Murmur, and you have the recipe for an up and coming scene.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etoile_filante View Post
I think it's simpler than a "yuppie-approved" stamp. Trendy newspapers love trendy restaurants, and Oakland has seen a trendy restaurant explosion. Wood Tavern and Baywolf cater to the older crowd, and while delicious, are not "cool." Ever been to Mua? They serve mac 'n' cheese and have a DJ, and I didn't see anyone over the age of 40. Servers at Boot 'n' Shoe are hard to distinguish from the dining crowd since they dress in jeans and tees, and there is nary a white tablecloth to be seen. Throw in Art Murmur, and you have the recipe for an up and coming scene.

I'm not even talking about the "hip" restaurants though... I'm talking about the hundreds upon hundreds of great ethnic and local eateries that have been here for a while. A lot of people in Oakland cannot afford to eat at Baywolf and Hibiscus and etc. every day, so the mid-range offerings and street fare are what people tend to look at... the quality, quantity and diversity of these offerings far outstrips a lot of larger and smaller cities around the country. And yet, it is generally San Francisco that is recognized for its diversity of options and the East Bay remains ignored for everything that's not in the trendy neighborhoods in Oakland and some parts of Berkeley. The negative reputation of East Oakland does not mention that the vast majority of Oakland's best mid-range and street fare options are in the East, so most people end up being lead to believe by the media that the only part of Oakland worth visiting is downtown and a select few other neighborhoods (Rockridge, Temescal and Piedmont Avenue). It's only recently that people are beginning to note the existence of Fruitvale, which in many ways is looking like it's about to be a repeat of the Mission. I have no issue with people discovering other parts of Oakland - I want them to see other parts of Oakland - but not just because a trendy restaurant opened up in the neighborhood and now it's "cool" to be in. There's already a lot of cool stuff going on in Oakland that isn't being recognized because it's being done or was started by and for the "wrong" group of people.

To make a long story short, I feel like the positives of a lot of neighborhoods in Oakland are ignored outside of Oakland because they're occupied by the "wrong" group of people. I'm not solely talking about racially either; many neighborhoods in Oakland's flatlands are extremely diverse and integrated and are called home by whites, blacks, hispanics and asians alike. I understand how my comments could sound small-minded, but that's my honest opinion.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:44 PM

24,952 posts, read 24,733,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post

To make a long story short, I feel like the positives of a lot of neighborhoods in Oakland are ignored outside of Oakland because they're occupied by the "wrong" group of people. I'm not solely talking about racially either; many neighborhoods in Oakland's flatlands are extremely diverse and integrated and are called home by whites, blacks, hispanics and asians alike. I understand how my comments could sound small-minded, but that's my honest opinion.
Yup it is only cool when richer, whiter people like something. Otherwise it doesn't count.

Read: Detroit. How often do you hear about the awesome middle eastern food in Detroit.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland