U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 09:34 PM

25,019 posts, read 24,842,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This isnt really an answer. This is just useless rhetoric.

I have found no reason to want to leave this:

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...rockridge1.jpg
What a dump! How can you live somewhere like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 09:35 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,615,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
There's been 1 so far..lol
Totally brah, murder is hysterical. I can't stop laughing.
Quote:
Oakland sees homicide total reach triple digits, violent crime spike in 2011 after 1 year drop
OAKLAND, Calif. — Staring at a colorful display of balloons, flowers and candles at a makeshift memorial in East Oakland, Todd Walker estimated he went to at least 50 of the funerals for this city’s 110 homicide victims in 2011.

He attended one more on Friday, this time for Oakland’s last homicide victim of the year, 5-year-old Gabriel Martinez, Jr., who was shot and killed near his father’s taco truck a week earlier.

Comments
Weigh InCorrections?

inShare

“Safe streets should be the main priority of this city, period! There are no more excuses,” said Walker, a community activist who is often asked to attend services by the victims’ families, pointing to a large banner with Gabriel’s image at the memorial site that said “Alto a la violencia” — stop the violence in Spanish.
Oakland sees homicide total reach triple digits, violent crime spike in 2011 after 1 year drop - The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/oakland-sees-homicide-total-reach-triple-digits-violent-crime-spike-in-2011-after-1-year-drop/2012/01/08/gIQA6JLXjP_story.html - broken link)
You have fun with that.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:41 PM

1,994 posts, read 2,873,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Somehow, something called ihateoakland just might not present the most objective view of the town.
It wont. It would never. Even if the list actually existed. Some people just hate Oakland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
Well, yea, you lost count on 1.

Quote:
You have fun with that.
Soooo, what exactly have you accomplished?

Old 01-11-2012, 10:48 AM

7 posts, read 4,681 times
Quote:

You have fun with that.
How sad must your personal life be when you spend your days trolling on a forum like this trashing a place you've only read about. According to your profile you're in Seattle now, so why are you here other than to be a troll?

Old 01-11-2012, 01:25 PM

9,197 posts, read 12,445,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamsu View Post
How sad must your personal life be when you spend your days trolling on a forum like this trashing a place you've only read about. According to your profile you're in Seattle now, so why are you here other than to be a troll?
Not much to do in Seattle in January.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:34 PM

5,718 posts, read 13,545,574 times
Seattle is always trying to be San Francisco. Bashing Oakland is just part of that pathetic imitation.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:29 AM

6,920 posts, read 10,917,430 times
I just saw this opinion piece by 38thnotes and thought it was worth posting... it pretty much sums up my opinion of the NYT article.

Opinion: The New York Times Doesn’t Understand Oakland | 38th Notes

Old 01-13-2012, 01:39 AM

5,242 posts, read 10,487,433 times
^
why is that page all screwed up looking...

I dunno, frankly I think complaining about "transplants" from 10 miles away not being "real Oaklanders" is just as provincial and petty and snobby as insisting that Oakland is a crime-ridden dump. Nothing that opens in Oakland will ever feel like anything in SF. If you've lived in SF, you can see that Oakland just has a totally different vibe, no matter how many trendy places open up. There's like 2 blocks in the Temescal that kind of feel like the sleepier parts of the Mission but not really, otherwise Oakland always feels like its own city.

More people are coming to Oakland because crime is down in a lot of areas that used to be crappy and because new places are opening up. Oakland would be a way crappier city if it wasn't for that.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:00 AM

6,920 posts, read 10,917,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
^
why is that page all screwed up looking...

I dunno, frankly I think complaining about "transplants" from 10 miles away not being "real Oaklanders" is just as provincial and petty and snobby as insisting that Oakland is a crime-ridden dump. Nothing that opens in Oakland will ever feel like anything in SF. If you've lived in SF, you can see that Oakland just has a totally different vibe, no matter how many trendy places open up. There's like 2 blocks in the Temescal that kind of feel like the sleepier parts of the Mission but not really, otherwise Oakland always feels like its own city.

More people are coming to Oakland because crime is down in a lot of areas that used to be crappy and because new places are opening up. Oakland would be a way crappier city if it wasn't for that.
IDK, the page works fine for me.

And that wasn't the point I thought the opinion piece was making... I think he was making the point that there's a reason why we're seeing the culinary explosion in Downtown Oakland, and it's not because it's a cheaper alternative to San Francisco. It's because Oakland already had attractive qualities that made people want to open up their businesses here. If Oakland's only positive was a trendy food scene in two or three neighborhoods in the entire city, Oakland would be a shallow city indeed, and so would the criteria for making it onto the NYT's top 45 places to visit list. His point is that what the NYT highlighted is only the very tip of the iceberg; his fear is that people will believe it's the whole iceberg.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:01 AM

70 posts, read 103,049 times
It's been posted before, but that article calls out the NPR piece on Oakland that's worth checking out if you haven't:

NPR presents Oakland: The Self Made City | 38th Notes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland