U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 03:24 PM

151 posts, read 286,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmitchell View Post
This is an old thread, but city data threads come up in Google searches a lot and I think it's important to give some more perspective that I think has been missing so far. Also there's still a chance AtlantaGal hasn't made up her mind yet.

I'm someone who grew up in the Bay Area (South Bay), went to school at UC Berkeley (which is near Oakland), lived in the Los Angeles area for a couple years, lived in the Austin TX area for a few years, and now lives in the Atlanta area. I'm Asian.

I agree with capoeira that there is more real diversity (true mix of blacks, Hispanics, whites, Asians, from a variety of class backgrounds for each race) in certain cities in the Atlanta area compared to the Bay Area, specifically around the Buford Highway area (Chamblee, Doraville, Tucker), parts of Gwinnett County (Norcross, Duluth), and to an extent southern Cobb County. I hope you didn't leave Atlanta for the Bay. The Bay Area suburbs are more segregated than the Altanta suburbs, and unfortunately quite a few people in the Bay Area among whites and Asians (especially in suburban areas of the Peninsula and the South Bay) still hold negative stereotypes about blacks and Latinos due to lack of exposure, or exposure mainly to less educated, poorer blacks and Latinos. The Bay Area doesn't have a strong tradition of middle-class black leadership like Atlanta or a well-integrated Latino population like Texas. I think it's quite possible you would end up feeling like "the only" in a lot of situations, and I know how uncomfortable that can be.

MARTA is also about as good as AC Transit or BART would be. Oakland is pretty spread out and the downtown is small there too. San Francisco is a walkable/transit-friendly city but it is getting increasingly pricey.

I saw you asking about Houston in another thread. That would probably be a better choice than the Bay Area in terms of diversity (especially SW Houston), although I still say, don't take what you have in Atlanta for granted! Also, you can take weekend trips from Houston to Austin, San Antonio, or Dallas (which was another of your criteria, to be close to other big cities).
Not even close. Atlanta is Not diverse! What you mean to say is that the suburbs of Atlanta are more diverse than the suburbs of the Bay Area, but even that would be inaccurate. Cities (if you can call them that) like Tucker, Doraville, Chamblee, Norcross, Duluth etc have such small populations that you can't make a comparison. If you add the population of all those small cities and towns together that you mentioned, they would still be much smaller than just one of the diverse suburban cities of the Bay Area like Vallejo or Fairfield. Using Vallejo as an example:

The 2010 USC[5] reported that Vallejo had a population of 115,942. The population density was 2,340.3 people per square mile (903.6/km˛). The race makeup of Vallejo was 38,0665 (32.9%) White, 25,572 (22.1%) African American, 757 (0.7%) Native American, 28,895 (24.9%) Asian (21.1% Filipino, 1.0% Indian, 0.9% Chinese, 0.5% Vietnamese, 0.2% Japanese, 0.2% Korean, 0.1% Laotian), 1,239 (1.1%) Pacific Islander, 12,759 (11.0%) from other races, and 8,656 (7.5%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 26,165 persons (22.6%); 16.1% of Vallejo's population is of Mexican heritage, 1.8% Salvadoran, 0.8% Puerto Rican, 0.7% Guatemalan, 0.5% Nicaraguan, and 0.2% Peruvian.

That is an entire city, not just a zip code like capoira made reference to. There's plenty of diverse suburbs in the Bay Area. It may be true that some are majority white the further away from the cities you go, but the same could be said about the lack of diversity in Atlanta's suburbs many of which are majority black like Lithonia or Stone Mountain. Atlanta does have a much smaller white population than the Bay Area but that's only because metro Atlanta is 90% black. Also, the inner city areas of Atlanta are not diverse at all while the Bay Area's are. Atlanta has almost no asian population outside of the college campuses and a very small unnoticeable latino population. The city of Atlanta is about 95% black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 12:02 AM

22 posts, read 98,120 times
dculross, Vallejo and Fairfield are not close to the center of the action in the Bay Area like Gwinnett County is to Atlanta. Vallejo and Fairfield are also relatively poor suburbs. Virtually no one in the Bay Area has a goal of moving to Vallejo or Fairfield (no offense) -- they go there for affordability. For middle to upper-middle-class mixing of all races, there is no place I have seen in the country like the Atlanta metro area. (You're right that I wasn't talking about the city of Atlanta. I think in terms of regions.)

Gwinnett County, the second-largest county in Georgia by population and one of the core 5 counties of the Atlanta metro area (the others being Fulton, DeKalb, Cobb, and Clayton) has 824,941 people as of 2011, according to the Census. It is 25% black, 11% Asian, 1% Native American, 21% Hispanic, and 43% non-Hispanic white. Gwinnett County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

I really don't think you know Atlanta that well if you think the city of Atlanta is 95% black, LOL. Love how you discount the Census statistics for Atlanta but use them for Vallejo. The official Census figure for the city of Atlanta is 36% non-Hispanic white, 54% black, 3% Asian, and 5% Hispanic. There is quite a bit of mixing in the middle and north of the city. When was the last time you were in Atlanta? It may not be the same place you remember if you haven't been there in a decade or more.

What all this disagreement suggests is that it really all depends where you are in Atlanta how integrated you perceive it to be. It's true Atlanta is a "black mecca" and is black-led and majority-black. I'll never deny that, nor would I want that to change. But I'm also not going to deny the experience of my own eyes (and taste buds LOL), or the cold hard facts of the Census figures of Gwinnett County and the city of Atlanta, in terms of how diverse Atlanta is and feels compared to other metro areas I've lived.

Last edited by jmitchell; 11-23-2012 at 12:50 AM..

Old 11-23-2012, 11:45 AM

151 posts, read 286,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmitchell View Post
dculross, Vallejo and Fairfield are not close to the center of the action in the Bay Area like Gwinnett County is to Atlanta. Vallejo and Fairfield are also relatively poor suburbs. Virtually no one in the Bay Area has a goal of moving to Vallejo or Fairfield (no offense) -- they go there for affordability. For middle to upper-middle-class mixing of all races, there is no place I have seen in the country like the Atlanta metro area. (You're right that I wasn't talking about the city of Atlanta. I think in terms of regions.)

Gwinnett County, the second-largest county in Georgia by population and one of the core 5 counties of the Atlanta metro area (the others being Fulton, DeKalb, Cobb, and Clayton) has 824,941 people as of 2011, according to the Census. It is 25% black, 11% Asian, 1% Native American, 21% Hispanic, and 43% non-Hispanic white. Gwinnett County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

I really don't think you know Atlanta that well if you think the city of Atlanta is 95% black, LOL. Love how you discount the Census statistics for Atlanta but use them for Vallejo. The official Census figure for the city of Atlanta is 36% non-Hispanic white, 54% black, 3% Asian, and 5% Hispanic. There is quite a bit of mixing in the middle and north of the city. When was the last time you were in Atlanta? It may not be the same place you remember if you haven't been there in a decade or more.

What all this disagreement suggests is that it really all depends where you are in Atlanta how integrated you perceive it to be. It's true Atlanta is a "black mecca" and is black-led and majority-black. I'll never deny that, nor would I want that to change. But I'm also not going to deny the experience of my own eyes (and taste buds LOL), or the cold hard facts of the Census figures of Gwinnett County and the city of Atlanta, in terms of how diverse Atlanta is and feels compared to other metro areas I've lived.
Rofl!!! No offense to you because I know you didn't come up with those population figures, but those numbers really don't add up! Gwinnett has 825,000 people?! How is that possible when these are the populations of the biggest cities there: Duluth (pop: 26,000 so small, this wouldn't be considered a major suburb if it were in the bay area), Lawrenceville (pop: 28,000 same), Norcross (pop: 9,116 Lol my high school had more people than this entire city of Norcross), Lilburn (pop: 11,000 Lol that would be considered a village, not even a town in the Bay Area), Snellville (pop: 18,000 another tiny town), Buford (pop: 12,000 Lol). <---These are basically all the cities/towns in Gwinnett in the metro atl area, the rest are in the middle of nowhere and no one that doesn't live there has heard of them. There's no way they add up to more than the remaining 700,000 or so people so yeah that seems fishy. And the city limits of Atlanta itself doesn't touch gwinnett or come close to it so that can't exmplain it. Gwinnett isn't really diverse, I think people in Atlanta confuse diverse with non-white. Yes,suburbs like Duluth and norcross that used to be mostly white rural areas now have small pockets of immigrant ghettos but that doesn't make it diverse. Maybe people think having a bunch of strip malls and a few ethnic restaurants makes it diverse, but the bay area has that on a much larger scale in places like fremont, san jose, etc. gwinnett is also the gang and drug trafficking capital of Atlanta, flooded with Mexican drug cartels. it hardly has a model image as upper/middle class. I used Vallejo/Fairfield as just one example of a place more diverse than anywhere in metro atl, there's plenty more I could have named. They are about as close to sf/Oakland as most places in gwinnett are to Atlanta (maybe 30-40 minutes). Atlanta has one thing over the bay area and that's the black population because the bay area has almost no black people left. aside from that, the Bay Area is way more diverse.

Last edited by dculross; 11-23-2012 at 11:56 AM..

Old 11-27-2012, 07:49 AM

6,644 posts, read 5,761,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dculross View Post
Rofl!!! No offense to you because I know you didn't come up with those population figures, but those numbers really don't add up! Gwinnett has 825,000 people?! How is that possible when these are the populations of the biggest cities there: Duluth (pop: 26,000 so small, this wouldn't be considered a major suburb if it were in the bay area), Lawrenceville (pop: 28,000 same), Norcross (pop: 9,116 Lol my high school had more people than this entire city of Norcross), Lilburn (pop: 11,000 Lol that would be considered a village, not even a town in the Bay Area), Snellville (pop: 18,000 another tiny town), Buford (pop: 12,000 Lol). <---These are basically all the cities/towns in Gwinnett in the metro atl area, the rest are in the middle of nowhere and no one that doesn't live there has heard of them. There's no way they add up to more than the remaining 700,000 or so people so yeah that seems fishy. And the city limits of Atlanta itself doesn't touch gwinnett or come close to it so that can't exmplain it. Gwinnett isn't really diverse, I think people in Atlanta confuse diverse with non-white. Yes,suburbs like Duluth and norcross that used to be mostly white rural areas now have small pockets of immigrant ghettos but that doesn't make it diverse. Maybe people think having a bunch of strip malls and a few ethnic restaurants makes it diverse, but the bay area has that on a much larger scale in places like fremont, san jose, etc. gwinnett is also the gang and drug trafficking capital of Atlanta, flooded with Mexican drug cartels. it hardly has a model image as upper/middle class. I used Vallejo/Fairfield as just one example of a place more diverse than anywhere in metro atl, there's plenty more I could have named. They are about as close to sf/Oakland as most places in gwinnett are to Atlanta (maybe 30-40 minutes). Atlanta has one thing over the bay area and that's the black population because the bay area has almost no black people left. aside from that, the Bay Area is way more diverse.
That's because the vast majority of the Atlanta metro area is unincorporated...many of these cities have small city limits....the unincorporated areas just use these cities for postal reasons.

Trust me, Gwinnett has that much people...why else is the traffic congestion massive on I-85 heading up north from the core of Atlanta....

The Atlanta metro area is very diverse, especially Gwinnett. I can't say if it's more diverse then the Bay area, but it's more diverse then your average suburb.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:53 AM

269 posts, read 755,128 times
All I know is Atlanta is a great city...the food there is unreal!

Old 12-12-2012, 11:09 AM

26 posts, read 28,521 times
I know this is old but thought I would give my two cents...I grew up in Oakland..I have live/worked in San Ramon, Menlo Park, Alameda, Milpitas, Mountain House, Antioch, Berkeley, Dublin, Menlo Park, San Jose, San Fran...all over the bay area and Fairfield, which is not really part of the bay area. What I love about the bay area is the feel of belonging no matter your race, or class. No place like it anywhere else. Of course there is the down side, crime? The police department in Oakland down sized due to budget cuts and criminals know they can pretty much do what they want. I don't like the fact that doctors treat you like cattle..in 'n' out. I live in Asheville, NC right now but am looking to return to Cali or move to Georgia; Cobb cnty area. There are no resources here for children with Autism. White folks here politily make you feel insignificant..Like your opinion really means nothing.

FYI Car Insurance in California is about 5 times more....what I pay for six month, I would pay per month in California. Rent is about the same expect you can get a bigger place for your money here

peace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland