U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2012, 03:12 AM

2 posts, read 3,078 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,
So I have a huge dilemma, I recently received an offer for a good job up in Hayward. Now, I'm super stoked, but after doing some research I realized that Hayward might not be exactly what I'm looking for in terms of nightlife, culture, safety and environment. I'm a recent college graduate in my young-mid 20s and would love to get the experience that the city of SF has to offer. I have a few friends in the city but realize that the commute would be at least 45 mins. to and from work. Is this worth it? and if it is what is the best area to live in sf?

Can Union/Fremont offer a similar experience? Is there any other city closer to hayward that you would recommend based on my situation? Thanks! Your help is appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 05:28 AM

5,242 posts, read 10,575,950 times
Honestly I'd check out Oakland to save on commute time and rent, but that's just me. SF is way more bustling but way more expensive, dirty and crowded compared with Oakland. I'd check out the areas around Lake Merritt and see what you think.

That said, 45 minutes isn't too bad of a commute...bring a good book and put in some earplugs and it will be over pretty quickly. Look for places near the 16th and Mission and 24th and Mission BART stations. Your door to door commute will really depend on how close you live to BART and how close your workplace is to Hayward BART.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:54 AM

22,110 posts, read 23,853,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Honestly I'd check out Oakland to save on commute time and rent, but that's just me. SF is way more bustling but way more expensive, dirty and crowded compared with Oakland. I'd check out the areas around Lake Merritt and see what you think.
^^I second this^^

FYI, Union City/Fremont are nicer than Hayward, but are pretty boring suburbia. Oakland has more of an urban vibe. You have to watch your neighborhoods in Oakland, but you get an urban vibe at a more reasonable cost than SF, as well as a shorter commute. The other thing I like about Oakland is that it's urban but not super dense, like SF. It a few degrees warmer than SF in the summer.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:21 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
25,891 posts, read 44,696,539 times
I'd suggest Castro Valley, safe and peaceful, close to your work, and has a BART station to get to SF or Oakland, or out to Pleasanton. No night life in CV itself but unless you need that every day it's better to have the long trips for going out than to work.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:37 PM

25,197 posts, read 25,245,748 times
I spent 5 years working in Hayward (most living in Oakland). I second the Oakland recommendation. And even better if you can BART into your office. But in reality, unless you are working in downtown Hayward within 3 blocks of BART, you'll need to drive. Hayward is suburbia, and the only area with a good amount of stuff in walking distance is right downtown. Everything else requires driving.

I used to work around Industrial. The transit ran once and hour. The only lunch spots in the vicinity were a couple of horrible delis, mediocre Mexican, taco trucks, and a Jack in the Box. For a little while there was a decent coffeeshop, a quiznos and a hot dog place but I think they all closed. IT would take 10-15 minutes just to get to Winton, and even then the options sucked for lunch.

Also, there is a ton of traffic right when you get to Hayward or San Leandro. It took me about 15 minutes to get to San Leandro. And 15-20 to cover the last 4 miles to Hayward, especially if I left after 7:30. Hayward is really backed up by 7:45 every day until about 9:30 for traffic to Fremont, San Jose or the San Mateo Bridge. The way home was hit or miss.

Back to Oakland. There is a lot to do. It is cheaper than SF. And reality, unless you live in the Misson, it is probably faster to get to most parts of SF than living in SF -- even via transit. There are loads of nice areas with lots of young people to socialize with. It is also more diverse than SF, and everyone socializes together. On any given night in any given spot, you are likely to see a diverse crowd with Asians, Latinos, African-Americans and whites all having fun together. There is a bit of class segregation, but that's the bulk of it.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I'd suggest Castro Valley, safe and peaceful, close to your work, and has a BART station to get to SF or Oakland, or out to Pleasanton. No night life in CV itself but unless you need that every day it's better to have the long trips for going out than to work.
CV = torture for young people. Other than a good commute, this is a crappy choice for you. This is family land. I think of it as Rancho Suburbia. At the edge of town there are real cowboys. Lots of ranch homes, and strip malls.

There is a bowling alley and an ice cream shop for entertainment. Unless you want to go horseback riding.

Pleasanton or Dublin. Also suburbia, nicer than Casto Valley or Hayward, there is one nightspot in Pleasanton. Targets the 30+ crowd. More strip malls and chain restaurants. And it takes the same amount of time to go from Dublin/Pleasanton to Hayward as it does from Oakland. So pointless. You'll be bored in a shiny newer apartment. (I lived in Dublin for 2 years before I moved to Oakland. And for about 6 of those months I commuted to Hayward.)

Old 01-08-2012, 06:31 PM

2,236 posts, read 4,127,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisthemenace View Post
I have a few friends in the city but realize that the commute would be at least 45 mins. to and from work. Is this worth it? and if it is what is the best area to live in sf??
An area close to the freeway so you will have an easy exit from the city. Popular neighborhood examples with an easy SF exit are Potrero Hill,Bernal Heights,Glen Park and Noe Valley.

Quote:
Is there any other city closer to hayward that you would recommend based on my situation?
San Mateo. A reverse commute on the 92 Bridge and an easy non-rush hour drive to SF.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:56 PM

2 posts, read 3,078 times
thanks for all the input guys. Looks like I'll be choosing between Oakland and SF.

@jade408 - how long was the commute including traffic from hayward to oakland before and after work?

Which areas in Oakland/SF would you recommend more specifically? I like to eventually be in finance, so if there are opportunities to network in SF, that is something for me to consider.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:14 AM

Quote:
@jade408 - how long was the commute including traffic from hayward to oakland before and after work?
~25-30 on the way, and 30-40 on the way home. I took every route, surface streets from San Leandro, the freeway the whole way it was all the same. If you can avoid leaving from 7:30-9:30 it will take about 20 minutes.

The way home was really hit and miss. From the industrial side of Winton, it could take 15 minutes to get on the freeway. Once you got to 238, it was almost always smooth sailing, but it could take 10 or 15 minutes to get to 238. (Also, if you live up to about the Lakeshore exit, taking 880 is probably faster)
Evening traffic runs from about 5-6:30 at its worst in Hayward. It was fairly consistent unless there is a Warriors game, then it was on the longer end of the window.

I found that generally, taking 150th/Hesperian was the fastest route. Especially in the evening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland