U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 07:15 AM

195 posts, read 548,719 times

Advertisements

I have a wife and two children 9 and almost 2yrs. We are both very progressive and love ethnic dining. I really hate traffic so I would rather take public transit if possible. We would need 3 bedrooms with a fenced in yard which I'm sure is hard to come by within the city. We desire good schools for our children. Our monthly rent limit would be $2800. Also, my wife is disabled and cannot walk very long distances which might make it tough in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 07:46 AM

16,051 posts, read 18,752,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conroy25 View Post
I have a wife and two children 9 and almost 2yrs. We are both very progressive and love ethnic dining. I really hate traffic so I would rather take public transit if possible. We would need 3 bedrooms with a fenced in yard which I'm sure is hard to come by within the city. We desire good schools for our children. Our monthly rent limit would be $2800. Also, my wife is disabled and cannot walk very long distances which might make it tough in the city.
I'd think the Outer Richmond or Sunset Districts would be where to look.
I've seen plenty of rentals with yards but 3 bedrooms could be tricky

Old 01-10-2012, 08:29 AM

10,630 posts, read 21,500,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conroy25 View Post
No, I would not move here. Your rent limit is small for wanting 3-BR with a fenced-in yard in the city. No guarantee that you'd get in a nearby school, either (you'd get A school, just not necessarily one in the neighborhood). Is there any specific reason you want to move to San Francisco? Do you have a job possibility here? If not (i.e. you can work from anywhere) you may want to look elsewhere. Or at least look outside of city of San Francisco limits. You could find something in Berkeley, for example, that could fit the bill.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:18 AM

12,825 posts, read 17,583,927 times
Schools are the issue. Areas with good schools are car dependent, by and large. And less "urban" in the truest sense. Also, they are very expensive, most of the people who live there tend to be either upper middle class, but increasingly upper class - some of them are essentially "upper class ghettos."

Old 01-10-2012, 11:34 AM

16,051 posts, read 18,752,958 times
There are good private schools within the city where you can live close to public transit and live without a car. There are houses and flats avaiable with 3 bedrooms and a yard. While I had no need for a third bedroom I had friends who rented houses with yards close to the Ocean and Transportation

Old 01-10-2012, 12:44 PM

195 posts, read 548,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
No, I would not move here. Your rent limit is small for wanting 3-BR with a fenced-in yard in the city. No guarantee that you'd get in a nearby school, either (you'd get A school, just not necessarily one in the neighborhood). Is there any specific reason you want to move to San Francisco? Do you have a job possibility here? If not (i.e. you can work from anywhere) you may want to look elsewhere. Or at least look outside of city of San Francisco limits. You could find something in Berkeley, for example, that could fit the bill.
I'm active duty in the Coast Guard and could basically move to anywhere in country with a major Coast Guard command. I used to live in Petaluma and would spend much of my time in San Francisco and really enjoyed it. That was before I had a family though. After much research on here I'm coming to the conclusion that every major metro area has bad schools, bad traffic, high prices, and good restaurants. I have to live in a major metro area and figured San Francisco would be better than say "Mobile, AL" or some other red state city. I currently live in Red Wing, MN and commute 1.5 hours in the morning to get to work in Northwest Bloomington and will never do that again. I unfortunately cannot stay in MN and must transfer somewhere else.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:09 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,874,437 times
As prepared as you can be, 'High Prices' in the Bay Area are still going to shock you.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:52 PM

109 posts, read 240,902 times
How about Alameda? Isn't there a Coast Guard station there? I think that town would fit your bill quite well.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:03 PM

10,630 posts, read 21,500,595 times
Given that you're coast guard, I'd say that's another strong reason to take a look at Alameda! It's also an easy school situation -- unlike the crazy lottery situation in SF, you don't have many options in Alameda. Good restaurants, too, and easy access to both East Bay and to San Francisco.

Be prepared for major sticker shock, though. WAY more expensive than Minnesota. (we're from Minneapolis) Alameda prices aren't too bad, and it has a nice downtown, and seems very family-friendly. Very walkable, and great location surrounded by water. Lots of coast guard people there. We're returning to the Bay Area after some time away, and Alameda is on our list, too.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:19 PM

147 posts, read 379,748 times
Parkside Neighborhood

L Taraval Muni

Taraval shops

Diane Feinstein Elem.

Aptos MS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland