Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2012, 11:43 PM

1 posts, read 681 times

Advertisements

I am planning to look at a place in what I have been told is old Oakland. The address is: 8th Street at Martin Luther King Blvd. I am curious if anyone knows that area and can let me know how it is. I'm mainly looking for pluses and minuses. I have found some links related to the area: http://oldoaklandneighbors.blogspot.com and http://www.yelp.com/biz/old-oakland-oakland?dfp_ex=1 Anyhow any info or suggestions will be of great help. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 12:01 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
It's a decent area but I dunno if I'd want to live around there. It's near Preservation Park which is really cool, and it's near the Trappist bar which is on 8th, and there's some other cool bars and restaurants right around the Trappist, mainly on Washington--lots of really cool architecture, and Ratto's is a decent old-school deli. But there's other blocks around there that are just really seedy looking and look like they must have homeless shelters or halfway houses on them because there's a bunch of homeless-looking people lounging around.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:13 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
MLK is definitely the last block you'd like to live on for sure. That particular section is a little odd. There isn't much happening on that block. Quiet, limited foot traffic since the adjacent items are day time only. It is also right on the freeway. There is a random new complex and older victorians.

I know loads of people who live at 9th and Clay which is a few blocks from there. They love it. That block is also far more lively than 8th in that portion. Not sure if I'd live at 8th and MLK, but the area is generally pretty good. Ninth is hopping most evenings, and more and more businesses are starting to open 7 days a week. It isn't quite a 7-day a week neighborhood yet. I haven't heard about any long term plans for that block, so you'd be in a bit of a dead zone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland